PDA

View Full Version : ReOrder skelegons and bones?

prometheus
08-20-2017, 07:08 AM
When using bullet dynamics, it should be required that bones are selected in the order they were created ..something like that, so if you do a split of skelegons in modeler or split bones in layout, the bone order changes to be not consecutive, so is there a tool
to reorder it all?

I know dstorm has something, havenīt tried them yet, and if possible I would also like to have a 64 bit version of a plugin or lscript.

jwiede
08-21-2017, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure I understand -- are you saying Bullet currently cares about the _creation_ order (as opposed to the connection order)?

prometheus
08-22-2017, 10:58 AM
seems that way...at least for skelegons, but I think it would be the same if you draw one bone and split it in layout.
if you make one skelegon in modeler, and split it maybe 8 times, then you have skelegons with the same name prefix, if you then rename them to bone01, bone02 etc...it doesnīt matter, if you setup a null to be kinematic in layout and move it to collide with the bones (once skelegon is converted in layout) and once you have selected the first bone and right click to select them all in that bone chain, and make them point to point bullet items...once the kinematic null hits the bones, they will split apart as unconnected, if you on the other hand just draw childbones directly and not splitting, the collision would be fine.

So it all seems to require initial draw bones consequently after one another, not working nicely with split bones, neither can you simply create a polychain or do a line pen with segments and convert to skelegons..that will yield the same issue, so the skelegons created that way in modeler or if they are split in layout seem to need to figure out creation order and adjust to that and something to rename the order properly.

In the end we want bones that stick together ..not fly apart as it will in this scene case.
Just try and make one skelegon and split it to a bone chain with more skelegons, leave it as is or rename it properly, it doesnīt matter, once bullet dynamics hits them in layout, they break apart.

prometheus
08-22-2017, 11:18 AM
And hereīs how it looks like ..take a look at scene bone name and parenting VS bullet list where it shows that it doesnīt interprete the renaming of the skelegons after they have been split even though I renamed each bone manually in the order they are connected after the split result..which obviously isnīt the same as creation order..

I could of course maintain the practice of creating the bones by manually drawing skelegons or making bones in layout the "correct" but I want the freedom to create figures with the help of the line pen or curves or copied edges that I then divide with artspheres divide edge, then send to blender for skin meshing then back to lightwave again, so I get complex structures or tentacles that are rigged and meshed without posing and adjusting bones or skelegons, I also may want this for rigging building or vehicle structures that should interact with bullet forces/collision, so then it is crucial the bones are correct in order..so that is why I would want a plugin that takes care of both naming and proper reordering.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137741&d=1503422208

jwiede
08-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Yuck. The sad thing is, that kind of behavior actually had to be implemented to care about ID's or creation order (or better put, implemented to access relationships other than connectivity). That such an implementation made it into release strongly suggests the code in question was never put through peer code review, nor properly validated for function.

erikals
08-26-2017, 08:26 PM
way, back i remember having that problem. found no solution.

jwiede
08-26-2017, 08:59 PM
"Way back" in LW2015? ;D

erikals
08-26-2017, 09:50 PM
no, wrong bone split order in 2010 or so...
can't recall exact details. :)