PDA

View Full Version : INSP: Interesting tricks from Overwatch

jeric_synergy
08-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Some, pretty subtle!

https://80.lv/articles/studying-overwatch-style/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=boosting&utm_term=lookalike

Kryslin
08-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Interesting. I'll have to figure out the convex edges trick and see how it works...

Ztreem
08-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Easy to do in lightwave with dp_edge node.

Kryslin
08-20-2017, 01:32 PM
It's what I figured. :) I just haven't had time to play with it yet.

jeric_synergy
08-20-2017, 02:27 PM
That was the most interesting one. Slick, "lightweight", and effective.

jwiede
08-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Was there any official confirmation that LW Next included support for direct loading/saving/manipulation of Allegorithmic Substances?

Like it or not, articles like the above highlight how ubiquitous Substances have become in asset design. Forcing users to "bake" assets into maps for use in LW really isn't an efficient workflow compared to other packages' ability to use and manipulate them in their designed, parametrically-manipulable, packaged form.

The article also highlights (yet again) how important ability to access smoothing group info still is for game asset work -- some sort of official announcement of proper smoothing group support would also be quite welcome. It's unclear Substance support alone would be enough to enable shaders like the convex edge shader mentioned (Substances still depend on certain native information being present and accessible).

gar26lw
08-21-2017, 05:03 AM
Place your bets..

Kryslin
08-22-2017, 10:36 AM
I got this little trick to work, and it does make a the edges pop a bit.

I'll have pictures in a bit.

I've also discovered that it appears that dp_edge and VPR don't play nicely together (ie, Crash to error reporter).
(Maybe - it could also be db&w's remap node as well...)