PDA

View Full Version : Modeling in VR is the future guys

Dillon
08-16-2017, 06:04 PM
I've said this before, and I'll say it again - watching the tools advance over this past 6 months has been exhilarating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdFsRWodTqI

Dillon
08-16-2017, 06:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwOXRalWso8

Superior workflow.

Spinland
08-16-2017, 06:29 PM
Very cool. I'm in talks with an architectural firm that wants to up their previz game with interactive VR walkthroughs of their designs. The applications for this tech are far-reaching and opportunity is rife.

TheLexx
08-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Once the "looking cool" mantra is passed, please genuinely help me understand what is so special about it in terms of modeling workflow.

Spinland
08-16-2017, 06:34 PM
When, for example, you're an aspiring architectural firm wanting to wow high zoot clients by giving them a memorable experience related to interacting with a proposed design? You might dismiss "looking cool" as trivial, but perhaps you undervalue something rather important.

In another practical realm, I spent years helping design and develop interactive VR type graphical interfaces for cyber warfare. Think Gibson crazy stuff but that actually works. In the combat realm time to react is a critical link in a mission profile, and interactive reach-out-and-touch-stuff interfaces that are intuitive and shorten training cycles are huge.

There are certainly many more applications but that's a start.

Dillon
08-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Very cool. I'm in talks with an architectural firm that wants to up their previz game with interactive VR walkthroughs of their designs. The applications for this tech are far-reaching and opportunity is rife.

Totally agree, and you just gave me major insight into how this kind of tech will be transformative to artists and engineers, alike.

TheLexx
08-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Many thanks Spinland. Wasn't dismissing as such, was just beyond me :)

Spinland
08-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Heh. It's all good, my friend. :beerchug:

Spinland
08-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Oh, here's another crazy-fun application: there's a local distillery here that crafts boutique vodka and bourbon. They're interested in a virtual 3D walkthrough of their facilities they can use to quickly train new hires.

This stuff is so damned cool. :jam:

Dillon
08-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Yuuuup.

VR/AR/MR is going to unleash so many unlimited possibilities for creation, advertising, education, ...... ?

I hope to god there is going to be a LWVR option .....

Spinland
08-16-2017, 06:56 PM
I hope to god there is going to be a LWVR option .....

QFA. In the meantime Liberty3D'S stuff (including some great discussions with Kat) has been pure gold.

hrgiger
08-16-2017, 09:44 PM
There's not. At least not form LW3DG anytime soon. Meanwhile ModoVR beta is currently available.

Surrealist.
08-17-2017, 02:49 AM
I think this would be good if you had a way to rest your forearms.

Something like this:

https://www.intuitivesurgical.com/company/media/images/singlesite/SingleSite_PC_SC_Surgeon_head_in_console.jpg

http://www.yourlourdes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DaVinci-SI-Table-and-Console-1024x579.jpg

Surgury is probably a good example because of the tedious work for long periods.

Is there anything like this for these VR input devices? Like a work station?

Would be cool.

Danner
08-17-2017, 05:36 AM
This past week I had a few modeling sessions with Gravity Sketch and Kodon, and I leaned a few things.

First of all, it is tiring on the Vive, you can walk around your object but it's faster to use the "grip" buttons on the vive to rotate (and resize) your model, but they are painful to use for extended periods. I understand why they did this, it's the standard way to navigate 3d objects and most other apps or games where you manipulate geometry use this same configuration. I read that the ergonometry and button feel is better on the Rift and it will be a non issue with the upcoming controllers from Valve or the hand tracking solutions that are out there. Having arm rests is not a complete solution for fatigue since using large motions is very useful at times. I didn't try modeling sitting down, but it's doable, if you shrink the model and work with it at a smaller scale.

In gravity sketch the tools are limited but they work beautifuly, doing lathe or revolution surfaces is easier and faster than any other tool I have seen. The curved surface tool is very powerful but takes more skill than I had imagined. The limited amount of keys at your disposal also make for some odd choices, like double trigger press to add points to a curve. I guess in that respect it's no different than learning any new 3d app. It lacks sculpting, painting and shading capabilities, and that is why I also got Kodon.

Kodon Is a fun and intuitive sculp/3d paint app, it's pretty much all it does but it does it pretty well. I'ts like 40 times easier to use than Zbrush, and you can get really nice results.

Surrealist.
08-17-2017, 05:53 AM
I think it is all about scale. Large sweeping motions could be reduced to a simple wrist gesture if it was scaled appropriately. The solution would be to be able to zoom in at a micro level. So it would be as if you were working on a miniature model rather than a full size item. Afterall how real is it that you'd ever be working on something in real world scale?

In the real world you always have something to rest your arms on. Crafts tables, potters wheels, workbenches, all offer support. Even painters and sketch artists use sticks at times to steady their hands when placing them on the work plane is not possible or practical.

Virtual Reality needs to mimic reality. No one works by standing and swinging their arms around with no support. Just never happens that way. Even mechanics can use the pressure of a tool for support. Hand support is the cornerstone of all crafts when it comes to posture and work practices.

Unless VR embraces this in the interface tools, it may be virtual, but it ain't reality. ;)

Spinland
08-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Fully agree, Richard. The virtual experience must be at least as comfortable as the real one or else it needs serious value added in other areas to overcome that liability. In gaming folks might be willing to adopt a position or series of actions that reward them with a fun time, but when you're using it "for realz" the interface has to be a step up from the norm. There's a metric tonne of research in these areas going on in the DoD but I don't know how much of it is classified. On the general level I can say that being comfortably seated in an ergonomic position and having full finger articulation with haptic feedback are considered very important.

DrStrik9
08-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Wow! Super Cool!!! Suddenly I realize how OLD I actually am. :+)

Danner
08-17-2017, 09:00 AM
In regards to modeling at a small scale, It is doable, but current HMDs are not well suited for this. The optics, the screens and the tracking are designed for larger scale interactions. Kodon has a inetesting trick to allow for better close up tracking, you sculpt with the base of the controller, instead of the front, you hold them backwards, it's odd at first, but it works. You can't really model a house at scale, but there are some things you can. The first thing I did when I got TiltBrush was to make a 3d painting of my favorite motorcycle, got on my knees to make the hubs and detail the wheels, suspension etc. After about 30 minutes I was done and I was amazed at how true to scale everything turned out. I placed myself as if I was sitting on it and I can't really express what I felt at that moment.

hrgiger
08-17-2017, 01:23 PM
https://www.foundry.com/events/siggraph-2017

In the Modo Siggraph presentation on the page, the VR stuff is somewhere around the 11-12 min mark.

ActionBob
08-17-2017, 02:50 PM
One also has to consider that new track-able objects are in the works beyond what is standard with systems like the Oculus or the Vive.

I have a Vive and it is great. However, I am very much more excited at the 3rd party peripherals in development and also for gen 2 when things get lighter, smaller and even better.

Yes, messing around with Tilt Brush was very fun. working at scale is very cool. Things are going to get even cooler. :-)

-Adrian