PDA

View Full Version : Help me become smooth!

amirispop
12-20-2003, 12:05 AM
No actually I have a problem smoothin out some polygons. I could've experimented with the smoothing tool or the Magnet or maybe dragnet, but then again I'm a noob and I want results now.

That being said, here is the problem.

amirispop
12-20-2003, 12:17 AM
Now my question is how do I model the corner so that it is smooth and flows from the left to the front. In the perspective view, the model shows a bulge on the corner. I don't want the bulge. I want it to be smooth.

I started with a box primitive and added a radius to it and some segments to smooth the corner out. Is that the wrong way to start what I was trying to do...which is a keyboard.

here is the intended idea.
Oxygen 8 (http://www.digitraxx.com/hwmkoxygen8.html)

here is what i am asking for.

p.s. I need to do this to all the corners on the y axis(heading straight up and down.) so I guess the fix will need to be able to be applied in the "top" viewport.

Thanks.

riki
12-20-2003, 04:10 AM
I would probably use Subpatches for this kind of object.

In any case your mesh is too dense. Try turning smoothing on in the properties panel and use less polys.

amirispop
12-20-2003, 11:04 AM
I guess when you say you would just use sub patches, you mean select the polygon in question and click subpatch.

I'm still reading the manual, my problem is that I get side tracked and get an idea for something and start working on it or at least try.

When you say that the mesh is too dense, do you mean that along the corner there are too many polys? I'm reducing them if that is the case. Some of the segments I decided that I needed during pre-design. I thought it would be easier than using the knife to cut polygons. Like I said, when I started I clicked the box primative and just added those segments on x,y, and z axis and the radius.

Currently thats the only way I can make a curve on a box. If someone can point out a better way then I'll take a look.

I did read somthing about rail extruding. I guess all I would have to do is make a profile of the object next time and just rail extrude. But would that produce less polygons or would i still have to combine them afterwards?

toby
12-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Keep reading the manual! I did the same thing, read something and want to try it, it is a good way to learn and remember it, but you have to go back at some point -

When Riki said turn on 'smoothing' he was refering to the surface or shading properties, not the geometry. Look up 'Surface Editor'.

You have much more geometry than you need, surface 'smoothing' mimics a smooth surface over as little as 2 polygons. For more on this I have a brief tutorial:
www.tobygaines.com/bevel.html

As for sub-patches, create a box with 3 segments on each side, then hit tab, go from there.

CMP 2003
12-20-2003, 08:15 PM
If you cant get the results you want, it might be too late, and i would suggest remoldeling it, making so many modifications can make your mesh really messing and not symmetrical on each side

colkai
12-21-2003, 04:49 AM
Personally, to build this, I would make a 'face' template and then bevel it, or a 'side' and extrude it.

Here's an example, note the poly above was used to create the object below.

CMP 2003
12-21-2003, 03:32 PM
i concur....hehe,,,,,

beveling would be the best way for me

mattclary
12-22-2003, 05:57 AM
Ditto. I would also recommend something more basic for your first project. Look at some of the tutorials available on the web and consider buying a book like "Inside LightWave" or "LightWave Applied"

amirispop
12-27-2003, 02:33 AM
Yo thanks for the tips. I think I'm going to start over. and bevel it from one polygon. see how it comes out...