PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Unused Surfaces

SteveH
08-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Help!!! I received a Sketch Up file of a large community center building and site features. Once I got it into Lightwave I could barely move around - waiting 3 or 4 minutes to cut and paste something into a new layer. There are hundreds of surface names like _46_8 and Translucent_Glass_Gold_1182 - which are just wonderfully helpful - NOT!! Stupid architects anyway. So I made a selection set of all the translucent glass polygons and renamed them to window glass. I thought once I saved it and got back into it - that the hundreds of "translucent_Glass_Gold_* surfaces would be gone but nooooooooooo.
Then I tried loading the object into layout and saving the object. Nope no worky. Then I did a search on this forum for deleting unused surface names and followed a link to a plugin named delete unused surfaces. Seemed like just the thing - but although I can see that plug in when I click on edit plug-ins - I can't actually find it under plugins>additional - which is kind of annoying. It is an older plug in so maybe that's the problem.

So...any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Oh - two more things I tried. I cut each layer out and pasted it into a new layer of a new object. That didn't work either. I dont' see how LW could know about translucent_Glass_Gold_1185 if there are no polygons that are surfaced with that. I also tried FBXing out and then importing it into a new object - nope...

Anyone with any other ideas?

Sensei
08-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Are you talking about my Delete Unused Surfaces plugin?
Click Edit Menu Layout, then search for "delete" until it'll appear..
If there are any polygons which are using surface, it rather won't work..
Did you use Polygon Statistics to check it? It must be multi-layer check, if surface is used in layer 10, and you're in 1st, it won't work..
I would have to check sources..

ps. Just a thought, you need to quit either Modeler and Layout, and then reload object, to refresh list of surfaces..

SteveH
08-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Sensei - thanks so much. I had started by doing all those translucent glass surfaces/objects in the building layer itself. Then when I saved and reloaded it - they were still there. I didn't want to keep doing the same thing if it wasn't going to get rid of those unused surface names.

But when I activated all the layers as you suggested there were thousands of polygons with those surface names for lights under parking awnings. I just assumed the glass surfaces would just be for the building. Stupid me....AGAIN....
Once I followed your advice I was able to see it actually worked the way I expected it to and it came down to operator error on my part. Again.....geez.

Anyway - thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

prometheus
08-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Hope sensei plugins works out.
I recall when I worked with gym machines getting it from solidworks, I got several thousands of surfaces, wasn´t feasable to bring that in to lightwave directly, we used former deep exploration and I could simply filter surfaces that was identical but split in to thousands of different surfaces with separate names, I just had to filter those then select them in a list and merge identical surfaces, and voila, 3000 surfaces merged in to one surface.

Ztreem
08-16-2017, 03:31 PM
This is a common problem with files from CAD software. Matt Gorner made a plugin for dealing with this, can't remember the name of the plugin though.

prometheus
08-16-2017, 03:48 PM
This is a common problem with files from CAD software. Matt Gorner made a plugin for dealing with this, can't remember the name of the plugin though.

at our age and lesser memory intact (mine maybe) just search google for Matt gorner, result will show lightwave plugin database,and here it is :) ...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/assign-surface/

Ztreem
08-16-2017, 03:52 PM
at our age and lesser memory intact (mine maybe) just search google for Matt gorner, result will show lightwave plugin database,and here it is :) ...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/assign-surface/

:thumbsup:

SteveH
08-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys - I'll check the plug ins out. I've been doing a lot of work lately where I have to take files made in Revit or Sketch Up and FBX out and into Lightwave. I end up with a billion surfaces with names like Default_1398, Defaut_1399 etc.
No clue what each is so I have to select each one figure out what it is, rename it etc.
Brutal....
On the plus side - it keeps me employed and the need to get good looking renders out of Revit doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon - so hopefully I'll have a job for a while.

Thanks for all your help - this is a really helpful community when we aren't all bitching about LW Next and LW Group's unwillingness to communicate to their customers!:D

jeric_synergy
08-16-2017, 05:02 PM
I was under the impression that unused surfaces are not RE-loaded when the object is.

That is: a Surface with no active polygons is not saved.

Ztreem
08-17-2017, 02:04 AM
Thanks guys - I'll check the plug ins out. I've been doing a lot of work lately where I have to take files made in Revit or Sketch Up and FBX out and into Lightwave. I end up with a billion surfaces with names like Default_1398, Defaut_1399 etc.
No clue what each is so I have to select each one figure out what it is, rename it etc.
Brutal....
On the plus side - it keeps me employed and the need to get good looking renders out of Revit doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon - so hopefully I'll have a job for a while.

Thanks for all your help - this is a really helpful community when we aren't all bitching about LW Next and LW Group's unwillingness to communicate to their customers!:D

When the the surfaces are named Default_1398, _1399 etc you should use Matt's plugin and do a search for Default_# and assign all of those surfaces to just Default. Then do the same for all orher surfaces as example Translucent_Gold_Glass_# etc...

ccclarke
08-17-2017, 09:54 AM
I was under the impression that unused surfaces are not RE-loaded when the object is.

That is: a Surface with no active polygons is not saved.

You are correct. If the surfaces are still showing up in the Statistics panel, they're assigned when the object was re-loaded.

CC

daforum
08-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Have a look at Chris Petersons scripts, he has some Surface tools: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/author/chris-peterson/

Hope it helps :)