PDA

View Full Version : Egyptian Valley Temple

jbr3d
12-19-2003, 09:22 PM
I got really excited about doing an Egyptian Architectural scene,
so I got rolling on this one. I have to say there was alot of trial and error...The challenging aspect, would be to add movement to the water and animate a flock of birds.
Let me know, your comments and suggestions.

kuik2c
12-19-2003, 10:39 PM
cool! maybe bigger image to show more detail.
two things I would like to change, first is the color mood; brighter and yellowish environment might give better effect on Egyptian environment.
2nd, it's the camera view, move the camera higher facing down a bit and show some desert far away behind the buildings might tell the better story of Egyptian valley temple.

Merry X'mas & Happy new year!

adrian
12-20-2003, 12:28 PM
That's a nice start, but I agree about the colour mode - the amount of blue makes it feel cold - when I first looked at this I thought what would really make this scene would be a fantastic yellowy/red sunset.... but that's just my 2 pennies worth.

I think there is a tutorial on the web on how to create an animated flock of birds although I can't remember the link (sorry).

Adrian.

RAZ
12-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Awful, lurid stuff....eeeeugh. The reeds in the foreground are a promising start but the rest looks rushed (pun intended) and lazy. You need to self crit the image until you think it looks good before pinning it up for crit.

jbr3d
12-21-2003, 01:18 AM
Thanks for your comments I really appreciate most of them. I did not rush thru this. I disregarded your comment RAZ, because its not focused, this did take alot of hard work.
And yes there is room for improvement. Thanks for your suggestions about the lighting, I was trying to go for a mid-morning lighting affect. (a red sunset would be way cool.).
with a different camera angle.

Thanks again.....try harder..be better!!

RAZ
12-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I didn't bother to focus the critism beyond the lurid colours because I didn't have my welders goggles handy to examine it closer. Maybe your working on a clapped out monitor and it all looks ok! Your suggestion of a red sunset prompted me to reply because I feel you should post it with a hardware and health warning :cool: . Hey...it's the critics that'll raise your game, hate 'em as you do ;) .

jbr3d
12-21-2003, 12:13 PM
There you go, now your being more specific!! so its the colors you don't like. But you really hurt my monitors feelings.
P.S. I don't know you well enough to hate you.
But your making a good start.

SHIV
12-21-2003, 03:31 PM
I think you need to look at the texture you have applied to your pyramids.. As they are now they look more like they're cast out of concrete and it hurts the sense of scale..

Murphy
12-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Maybe you could try to tone down the water abit. Make it more of a dark blue or almost black colour rather than the rich saphire blue you have at the moment.
I'm not sure if the colour is coming from the difuse or reflecting from the sky, but it just isn't looking right.

Murphy (^_^;)

dstipes
12-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Man, tough crowd on this thread!

I was intrigued by your work, but I love Egyptian architecture. I say, "Keep at it! I would like to see more."

Try rendering with lower color saturation. It will minimize some of that ultra rich color that is distracts from the work.

Post new camera angle renders when you do them....

And if anyone finds the "flock of birds" tutorial, would you post it?

dstipes
12-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Man, tough crowd on this thread!

I was intrigued by your work, but I love Egyptian architecture. I say, "Keep at it! I would like to see more."

Try rendering with lower color saturation. It will minimize some of that ultra rich color that is distracts from the work.

Post new camera angle renders when you do them....

And if anyone finds the "flock of birds" tutorial, would you post it?

knuckles644
12-21-2003, 11:52 PM
The color scheme is pretty nice, but the blues are WAY too intense...the water needs to have a lower saturation and be darker, and more reflective. The pyramid needs a better texture map adn the sky needs to be a lighter blue. THe lighting also seems a bit weak, typically when you think of Egypt you think of harsh, bright lighting (try to get some reference photos, try some movies like Indiana Jones, since the picture quality will probably be real nice and you can get more of a sense of what the lighting is like as opposed to a picture form google). Also, raise up the camera a bit, and move it closer to the architecture, adn put in some sort of background.

Nice work on everything else:)

starbase1
12-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Good composition, but I have to agree with the rest - the blue water is way too intense, and the pyramis on the right looks almost like an untextured primitive.

One handy suggestion I was given for water is to add a large scale fractal noise pattern, with many levels, as an alpha on the water waves - it breaks them up nicely, and works a treat.

Nick

glassefx
12-22-2003, 07:26 AM
Raz need to stop taking so much peniscillan.

BTW - Looking like progress!

starbase1
12-22-2003, 07:32 AM
I just noticed, the bulrishes don't reflect in the water...

ddho1981
12-22-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by glassefx
Raz need to stop taking so much peniscillan.

agreed... RAZ, there is a difference between CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and all out bashing. you seem to dish out the latter. try giving him specific things that look bad to you and make suggestions on how they are improved.... now back to topic.

The modeling looks good--I think it should look a little more rough though--especially the pyramid. It's a little too smooth and perfect to be made out of stone block.

I also think depth of field would help the image out since you are focusing on the temples and the veggies in front would undoubtably be more blurred than they are. my two cents.

DH

colkai
12-24-2003, 04:42 AM
I would say,
Lighten it up a bit, lose some of the sky, bring the actual architecture more into "the frame", as it stands, it *almost* looks like a model, but not quite.
With it being 'far back' one tends to lose the scale of it.
Colour wise, it probably is actually close to the luridcolours they used, not known for subtle pastel shades back then.

I think, we look at the ruins today and think they are thecolours, but no, they are faded over thousands of years, I'll be they were migrain inducing when first painted. ;)

Sky - the 'clouds' don't sit well, it may be better just using a image backdrop, or Eki's SkyGen plugin.

S'looking okay so far, keep at it.

emoboy83
12-25-2003, 11:30 PM
needs a bit more work on the pyramid. a good start though and
please fix those clouds

miso popovic
12-26-2003, 10:05 AM
there's a way to give critisizm and then there's a way to give criticizm Raz.One does not make more progress if advice is give with a sideorder of pounding.

So as not to be off topic with this replay-cool image, you took on quite a load,maybe to big.With so many different elements on the sceen it requires a lot of work to make each look great :)
Just an idea-sometimes i find that an image of sky look's better than skyscraper.