PDA

View Full Version : Syncing Poser character animation with Lightwave scene events and locations...???

Paul_Boland
08-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Hi Folks.

Ok, I need a bit of help on this one... I have Poser 2014 and using its PoserToLightwave Fusion Plugin I am delighted to be able to take fully textured, animated, Poser characters into Lightwave. It's great! But now I have a problem...

I'm working on a scene for Dungeoneer (my computer game in development) and for the first time ever I now have a Poser character which I need in a Lightwave scene but I need that character to be looking at specific locations in the scene at specific times. The problem is, when you load a Poser character into Lightwave, it comes in as a single object animated the way you did it in Poser. So in other words, I can't grab the characters head in Lightwave and turn it to where, and when, I want it. I need to setup the animation stuff in Poser.

Problem... I don't have my Lightwave scene in Poser to sync exactly where I want the character to look! LOL!!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work? I was thinking, if I do all the animations in Poser for the character and just sync up my scene locations when back in Lightwave to where the character is looking, that should work. But that seems an odd way to work, compromising my Lightwave scene to meet where the character in Poser looks. It's a shame that Poser characters don't come in ready for posing and stuff in Lightwave itself.

Spinland
08-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Are you committed to using the Poser character? Worst case, though DAZ models are crazy poly heavy, you might consider rigging it in LW natively.

Possibly, if the Poser route is necessary, you could animate the scene there using objects placed where they'd be in the LW scene? Basically, export the elements of the LW scene the chracter needs to react to, import that stuff into Poser as scenery, animate to that, then just export the character back to LW using the Fusion plugin?

psiborg
08-06-2017, 08:02 PM
(Poser) Object->Displacement-> click on PzforLW then

Poser Scene -> Scene Options -> Frame Offset->(LW) Start Frame (integer) and Poser Source Frames (integer)

Ma3rk
08-06-2017, 08:06 PM
First off, I'm amazed you were able to animate in Poser w/o tearing your hair out considering how much more control one has in LW.

Be that as it may, it's been awhile since I've done anything with Poser to LW, but once you've created the Poser to LW scene, you should be able to go back into Poser, make then save the changes, then reload that scene in LW. The changes should then be seen in LW, but pretty sure it's not going to be a live update. You'll have to close the LW scene then reload. Not the most desired method perhaps but with some diligence & note taking, it should be workable.

The other possibility is to export out as an FBX scene. When you load that into LW you should have FK control, so you could do your head movements directly in LW. When I last fiddled with that I had to make some export choices but most were obvious & logical. You might have to experiment a bit in other words.

I'm sure there area couple others here who will reply that have worked much more recently with the pipeline.

Spinland
08-06-2017, 08:10 PM
First off, I'm amazed you were able to animate in Poser w/o tearing your hair out.

QFA. My hat's off to anyone who can made good stuff happen in that interface. I'm sure lots of folks work magic with it but I'd be bald in bloody patches, myself. ;D

TreyX
08-06-2017, 09:52 PM
QFA. My hat's off to anyone who can made good stuff happen in that interface. I'm sure lots of folks work magic with it but I'd be bald in bloody patches, myself. ;D

agreed. the only thing i've used poser for is to export models in the default da vinci pose, then rig them directly in LW. poser has the absolute worst UI i've ever used, and i just could not get the hang of it at all. will be moving even that to daz (thanks to yours and another pal's recommendation - downloaded Daz studio the other day...!)

Verlon
08-06-2017, 11:37 PM

Poser character animation tools for Poser models works pretty well. LW character animation tools are not collecting kudos from the industry.

Walk designer is a world easier than anything I've seen for LW.

There are other things that annoy me, but Poser is not all bad.
Yeah, you can import poly heavy DAZ, but he did mention it was for a game. Also, PoserFusion is way easier than getting an animation from DAZ to LW.

Oldcode
08-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Hey Paul,

I use Lightwave and Poser 2014/Poser Fusion all the time. Yes, it can be a pain to try to sycnronize stuff going on in Poser with what's going on in Lightwave, but there are ways around it.

1. Load as many objects you want from your Poser scene into your Lightwave scene into Poser as you can and import them directly with Poser Fusion. Even if they are low poly versions. This will give you points of reference while you animate in Poser, and you can always hide/delete them later.

2. Remember, what Lightwave dose is import the Poser scene file and bakes it in, kind of like a MDD file. Have your Poser scene and your Lightwave Scene open at the same time. Look up at Psiborg's post. See on the picture he posted, the tab on the left that says Scene File? Click on that tab and there's a button that will let you re-load the poser scene. If something is not quite right in the Lightwave scene (the character is not looking in the right place), make the changes in the Poser scene, save the changes, then hit that Reload button the on the Scene file tab. The Poser character's movements will be updated and you can see if he/she/it is looking in the right place or not. It's not as straight forward as being able to manipulate the character directly as you can with one fully rigged in Lightwave, but you can go back and forth pretty easily.

Poser definitely has its problems, but its what got me into 3D animation. Yes, you can do much more in Lightwave, but for us poor smucks who've not figured out how to make, rig, and animate yet, Poser's character animation centrist animation tools can be a big help. Also, I sometimes will export a character from Poser, import it into Modeler, and rig it, if only in a limited way. Having multiple versions of the character for different situations, both Lightwave and Poser versions, can give you many more options to tell the story you want to tell.

For example, I had a scene I needed to do with a snake. Not all the kinds of snake movements I wanted to do could be done in either Poser or Lightwave. So, I use the Poser version of my snake model to do some kinds of movements, then I rigged the snake in Lightwave and used Spline Control to do slithering type motions that you can't do in Poser because of the way the model is rigged.

Good Luck! :D

Spinland
08-07-2017, 06:36 AM
Poser character animation tools for Poser models works pretty well. LW character animation tools are not collecting kudos from the industry.

Walk designer is a world easier than anything I've seen for LW.

There are other things that annoy me, but Poser is not all bad.
Yeah, you can import poly heavy DAZ, but he did mention it was for a game. Also, PoserFusion is way easier than getting an animation from DAZ to LW.

Cool, glad it's found a home in some folks' hearts. As always, diff'rent strokes, and it's not my particular cup of tea.

On the game thing, not sure how there's a difference in whether he brings the models in and rigs them directly in LW or as pre-animated ones via Fusion. Same poly count, no? I confess I'm not well versed in that workflow so maybe I missed an important point. Wouldn't be the first time.

Oldcode
08-07-2017, 08:07 AM
Not much difference Spinland, no.

You can either export a character or object in Poser as an OBJ and import it into Modeler, save it as a LWO and then rig it in Layout, or Import the geometry, textures, animation data, dynamic clothing from poser in one step. The only thing PoserFusion does not import into Lightwave is Poser's dynamic hair. That's the biggest problem I've had so far. Trying to put dynamic hair on poser figures is proving to be difficult, but I'm making progress.

Spinland
08-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Cool, thanks for the insights, Oldcode. I do own a copy of Poser, just never really "cottoned to" the way it works. I get that many folks are wizards at making it a solid tool in their workflows.

Paul_Boland
08-07-2017, 02:18 PM
WOW!! Thanks very much for the all the great feedback, suggestions, and some good laughs :). I'll work my way through them and should be able to make the magic happen to some degree for what I need. In regards to the Poser interface, I love it! Granted, it's not as easy to work with as animating stuff in Lightwave, I agree, but I do work well with the Poser UI.

Thanks again, folks! Ideally it would be great if Poser characters came into Lightwave fully rigged and ready for use instead of still being tied to the Poser software itself.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW!! Thanks very much for the all the great feedback, suggestions, and some good laughs :). I'll work my way through them and should be able to make the magic happen to some degree for what I need. In regards to the Poser interface, I love it! Granted, it's not as easy to work with as animating stuff in Lightwave, I agree, but I do work well with the Poser UI.

Thanks again, folks! Ideally it would be great if Poser characters came into Lightwave fully rigged and ready for use instead of still being tied to the Poser software itself.