PDA

View Full Version : God Foribid If LW Die Then...

Farhad_azer
08-05-2017, 05:05 AM
... How long will we be able to use the existing version?
Serious question.

I mean will it be working forever? Does anyone know about Softimage? Is it still operational?

Thanks.

Kinetic Shapes
08-05-2017, 05:39 AM
I wouldn't waste your time on those thoughts. The new version will be released at some point between now and whenever for sure. I'm certain they haven't put all that effort in the redesign and coding to not release it and with future version features planned. Patience! We may find out the delay reasons once released? Maybe not. I'm sure we will enjoy playing with the new renderer, volumetrics and other cool addictions mentioned in the blog once released :) They can't be that far off. I have a strong hunch, release day will be before end of 2020. :)

Sensei
08-05-2017, 06:04 AM
If you won't be upgrading operating system, it would be working forever.
If you will upgrade OS, you can still make virtual PC, with older version of OS, and drivers, and still be able to use it.
This way you can run even LightWave v3.5 on Amithlon (Amiga Motorola and AmigaOS JIT emulator).

Farhad_azer
08-05-2017, 06:08 AM
Thanks for your reply but you got me wrong.
I dont care about new version since there are so many things in current LW that i havent discovered nor used.
I am very happy with this much wealth.
I just said iffffff this happens can i be able to use it forever or it will stop working. Seriously.
Does softimage still work? Anyone knows the answer?

Farhad_azer
08-05-2017, 06:49 AM
Wow. Thanks a lot sensei. I did not know these.

Markc
08-05-2017, 11:08 AM
There is no reason it would stop working.....as Sensei said.

It is not Autodesk or Adobe junk, which stops working if you stop paying your subscription.

That is the benefit of a non subscription system, ok we may wait a bit longer for updates, but hey who cares :D
The new version is out when its out.

TreyX
08-05-2017, 11:19 AM
get a grip, people. this obsession with LW's next release is turning y'all into

seriously.

Farhad_azer
08-05-2017, 12:16 PM
I am really happy to see users like u Markc,
Dear Treyx did u read what i said? I dont care about new release and i am happy with my lovely 11.6. This was the main reason i asked question. If lw keeps working which sensei and mark mentioned it will then i will be using it and i truly love doing so.
My main goal is to become professional.

Keep Lightwaving dear Lightwavers.

Cheers

TreyX
08-05-2017, 12:39 PM
I am really happy to see users like u Markc,
Dear Treyx did u read what i said? I dont care about new release and i am happy with my lovely 11.6. This was the main reason i asked question. If lw keeps working which sensei and mark mentioned it will then i will be using it and i truly love doing so.
My main goal is to become professional.

Keep Lightwaving dear Lightwavers.

Cheers

yes i did read your post. it was in reference to your thread title "god forbid if lw die then...". the constant fatalism on the forum here is depressing.

prometheus
08-05-2017, 05:33 PM
... How long will we be able to use the existing version?
Serious question.

I mean will it be working forever? Does anyone know about Softimage? Is it still operational?

Thanks.

forever is a long time, at that time the earth is dead and the sun is no more, when we just have reached the end of our solar systme and entering the beginning of other stars :)
so no ...forever lightwave will probably not be around, and in the case of humanity surviving to other galaxies, to the end of time..where there is no end of time, it will probably have another name :D

otherwise..I do not see why the existing version would just stop, why would it? You have your license that isnīt timelimited so why?
so it will most likely go on and work for you as long as you need it too, or at least until the operative system changes so drastic that it can not work with it, then again you can then extend that by using older computers and such older systems in case of unlikely events like that occours.

Farhad_azer
08-05-2017, 06:34 PM
I did not know you are a philosopher prometheous. Wowww.
Yes you are right.
Some people say that this application stopped working or this or that.
I really would like to know about dead softwares. Are truespace or softimage still working? I am really curios. According to answers in very thread they should work.
Anyone can confirm?

Surrealist.
08-05-2017, 06:46 PM
Yeah I use Softimage occasionally on Windows 10. All is well so far. I am not sure how far that will stretch though. I don't know how many OS updates it will survive. I don't plan I will need it after a few years. License wise I think it will be good, more or less indefinitely.

shrox
08-05-2017, 06:53 PM
What was the DEC Alpha running with? Was it Windows, I can't remember.

TheLexx
08-05-2017, 07:15 PM
Are truespace or softimage still working? I am really curios. According to answers in very thread they should work.There are certainly people and companies still using Softimage. In fact, I believe the Redshift GPU renderer only became operational for Softimage after it was discontinued by Autodesk (maybe someone else can confirm), so Redshift would not do all that research for nothing. I'm sure there must be people still running Truespace too.

Generally for old software still working, it depends on the licencing model (eg online activation), changes in operating system and hardware compatibility. Some people are running software with an online activation model, which will die when their particular machine dies because there is no way of transferring it due to old online servers being now shut down. I foolishly bought a legitimate boxed Motionbuilder on Ebay when it was by Kaydara before Autodesk. I thought it might be serial number only, but the heap of junk needed activation by online servers which had been dead for years.....doh, never mind.

Generally, if software is a simple "enter serial number and start using" model, there is no reason why it can't just keep going on and on. The user Megladon2.0 said (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?154257-I-really-do-lose-my-patience-dear-NewTek-company&p=1514102&viewfull=1#post1514102)he is still using LW version 5.5! Lightwave is good to go forever, with the user in complete control - excellent from Newtek. But remember Prometheus' words, so you will need a time machine with your computer to slip back some years at the end of the universe to continue using Lightwave. :)

Greenlaw
08-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Window NT I believe. Man, that was a long time ago. My first job as vfx artist in film production had DEC Alphas.

Shudder! I remember I had to run Photoshop and After Effects in emulation on a DEC Alpha (with fx!32.) That was painful. Sometimes I got so impatient that I would take my work home so I could run these programs on my Mac instead. A year later, we finally got 'normal' PC's at work and everything was much better then. :P

shrox
08-05-2017, 07:28 PM
Window NT I believe. Man, that was a long time ago. My first job as vfx artist in film production had DEC Alphas.

Shudder! I remember I had to run Photoshop and After Effects in emulation (with fx!32.) That was painful. Sometimes I got so impatient that I would take my work at home so I could run these programs my Mac instead. A year later, we finally got 'normal' PC's--everything was much better then. :P

I met Lightwave on a DEC Alpha on loan from Amblin. I had my own 486 DX though!

Markc
08-06-2017, 04:20 AM
There are certainly people and companies still using Softimage. In fact, I believe the Redshift GPU renderer only became operational for Softimage after it was discontinued by Autodesk (maybe someone else can confirm), so Redshift would not do all that research for nothing. I'm sure there must be people still running Truespace too.

Ahh, that's interesting, I have just read a tutorial in the latest 3d world mag which was using Softimage and Redshift.
I must admit the interface looked really dated.

I remember a good number of years back, at the London Effects and Animation Festival (LEAF) ILM where demoing a shot from Jurassic Park (1) on stage with Softimage running on an SGI workstation.
Each time they rendered a frame, it was done from a text console :eek: but my jaw was still on the floor :bowdown:

Farhad_azer
08-06-2017, 04:27 AM
You know that there are two kinds of softimage. I think you are talking about softimage 3d which had dated interface. Formerly named softimage xsi has a modern interface IMO.

Markc
08-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Ahh yes, you are right, I forgot about the xsi change :D

prometheus
08-06-2017, 06:08 AM
I did not know you are a philosopher prometheous. Wowww.
Yes you are right.
Some people say that this application stopped working or this or that.
I really would like to know about dead softwares. Are truespace or softimage still working? I am really curios. According to answers in very thread they should work.
Anyone can confirm?

Im not a philospher by trade, just pretending, we all can probably reach some level of philosophic quality in our thinking though, itīs not reserved to expertise only...and in fact there are so many people daydrifting and having nothing else to do ( lesser time these days for me to do that kind of thinking)..and
depending on the persons life expericence and thinking, some good stuff may arise from that :)

as for softimage, donīt know personally, but looking at people still using it, they are still using it :)
as for truespace, Im pretty sure it works too, though since caligary sold it to microsoft and then microsoft stopping the development and letting it go freeware, it seem to have vanished from any official page, they used to have a quite nice informative page with a lot of good vids, now it seems available on cnet downloads etc.

It had some nice realtime shading, nurbs macro recordings and modeling extrusion operations, physics with properties of rubber, etc, interactive mode with other users online for modeling construction work together in one arena....and not to forget..Icons :)

gar26lw
08-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Be nice if XSI went freeware

DrStrik9
08-08-2017, 12:33 PM
What was the DEC Alpha running with? Was it Windows, I can't remember.
Windows NT (64-bit) -- Alpha was 500 mhz. (Wow!) :+))) -- Macs were up to 200-300 mhz (32-bit) at the time, so the Alphas did have their day.

The Dommo
08-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Alphas ran 'Windows NT4 for Alpha' and I think they had their own version of Unix too.
Pretty sure the DEC Alphas went up to 1GHz, way before Intel did. I was so jealous.

Loved SGI though. I've still got an O2 that I bought and it runs, but I can't remember how to installed Softimage on it.