PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if AE Link works with After Effects CC 2017?

TreyX
08-03-2017, 11:06 PM
hey, peeps -- any After Effects CC 2017 (Win 64) users out there with the AE Link third party plugin and LightWave 2015.3? Looks like the developers of AE Link stopped working on this plugin (found under the third party page here @ lightwave3d.com) after AE CC 2014. can't find a trial version to test. if there are other mograph guys like me that need a bridge btw AE & LW, would sincerely appreciate your heads-up on whether this LW plugin is still operational and worth the purchase....

djwaterman
08-03-2017, 11:44 PM
hey, peeps -- any After Effects CC 2017 (Win 64) users out there with the AE Link third party plugin and LightWave 2015.3? Looks like the developers of AE Link stopped working on this plugin (found under the third party page here @ lightwave3d.com) after AE CC 2014. can't find a trial version to test. if there are other mograph guys like me that need a bridge btw AE & LW, would sincerely appreciate your heads-up on whether this LW plugin is still operational and worth the purchase....

It stopped working as advertised, either because of a LW upgrade or an AE upgrade, I can't recall which, it still works but there's something you have to do, I think I left some instructions on the AELink product page in the comments section, but they might not be there anymore, I haven't checked lately. LW already has linking built in for AE, that not good enough?

Here's my comment:

Well it's almost Christmas and I was wondering if the new version of AE Link is closer to release?
Just to let people know that you can still use the current version in LW 11.6 and AE CS 6, but once you have exported the LW scene, you might have to go into File / Scripts in After Effects and open 'Run Scripts File' and look for the AE Link scene located in the same folder you would have saved your Lightwave scene. Then click on the file which will have the same name and it opens up in AE.

TreyX
08-04-2017, 12:14 AM
It stopped working as advertised, either because of a LW upgrade or an AE upgrade, I can't recall which, it still works but there's something you have to do, I think I left some instructions on the AELink product page in the comments section, but they might not be there anymore, I haven't checked lately. LW already has linking built in for AE, that not good enough?

Here's my comment:

Well it's almost Christmas and I was wondering if the new version of AE Link is closer to release?
Just to let people know that you can still use the current version in LW 11.6 and AE CS 6, but once you have exported the LW scene, you might have to go into File / Scripts in After Effects and open 'Run Scripts File' and look for the AE Link scene located in the same folder you would have saved your Lightwave scene. Then click on the file which will have the same name and it opens up in AE.

thanks, dj. really appreciate the reply (i did see your comment, btw, when i was searching thru their site). i was pretty much thinking what you confirmed. i know LW has the LW to AE interchange for camera, light & null data, but i was hoping for something that would also exchange object data, similar to C4D's interoperability with AE (this is a shining example of the perfect integration between a commercial 3D app and AE for mograph artists!). would be really cool if the lightwave3d group would build a more robust interchange for us mograph guys who would like to be able to export scenes and objects into AE for fully interactive post processing/FX and rendering. AE Link was the closest i could find online, and in the old video tuts it showed objects in the exchange process, so got my hopes up....

prob more in the AE side with the obsolescence with AE Link; adobe has updated AE on steroids over the past couple years. i spend so much time in the AE universe doing video work, would love to see a stronger and robust LW+AE pipeline so that i don't have to do my mograph work in C4D. getting close with Particular 3 supporting OBJ's as emitters, so one step in the right direction!

3dworks
08-04-2017, 02:56 AM
tried it last week because i needed it, but no way. in the end i gave up on working with LW + AE. and yes, i hope LW NEXT (or whatever version it will be) will have a better native support for that.

i know there are many arguments to better use nuke or fusion for this kind of work, but it is also a matter of what you've learned and invested time and money. so if you are new to this business, look for a better pipeline, but if you are using AE for over 15 years and happy with it, you will be less thrilled to learn another software.

hope NT will take a look at cinema 4d's integration, that is the reference... :-(

raw-m
08-04-2017, 09:27 AM
I have a lot of success with LW to AE and back again. Haven't tried AE Link a while but still think it works and has some nice features LWs native offering doesn't. That run-script thing (I think it was a Mac OS update security feature the killed it) stops me from using it frequently.

Haven't used Cineware before but the reports I've read refer to it making AE perform extremely poorly. If it's anything like Adobes efforts at building in the C4ds render engine in AE then yes, I can totally see their point! It's a marketing gimmick - it makes AE so slow to the point of unusable, in my experience.

ianr
08-04-2017, 09:38 AM
If you check the Adobe forums you may find that its broken in After-Effects.

Soo you couldn't go wrong by picking up a free copy of Fusion, Cos A.E.s render

time sucks & BMG have gpu'ed Open CL & other stuff in rev9.

One app in the accendant & the other fallin'

3dworks
08-04-2017, 11:09 AM
I have a lot of success with LW to AE and back again. Haven't tried AE Link a while but still think it works and has some nice features LWs native offering doesn't. That run-script thing (I think it was a Mac OS update security feature the killed it) stops me from using it frequently.

Haven't used Cineware before but the reports I've read refer to it making AE perform extremely poorly. If it's anything like Adobes efforts at building in the C4ds render engine in AE then yes, I can totally see their point! It's a marketing gimmick - it makes AE so slow to the point of unusable, in my experience.

the big difference between LW and C4D connecting to AE is that you can directly load and render c4d geometry inside AE. it's working a bit like element 3d, which can load OBJ files directly into AE, but cineware is free. LW's link to AE is only supporting camera lights and nulls, which is not optimal if you need to add for example extra fake volumetric lights with in post to a complex rendered interior scene. what would be nice if we could link to AE directly with geometry data as well.

TreyX
08-04-2017, 12:08 PM
exactly, 3dworks. that was my hope. i'm invested heavily in AE, and have used it for over 22+ years. plus, i really dig my AE plugins, also which i have a significant investment. as motion graphics is a core studio offering, AE is the best in that category, especially with the C4D integration. i've been saying for a while that newtek needs to re-brand and re-tool LW to work better with indie studio and mograph professionals. adobe is a real beast when it comes to working with, though, and they obviously developed a corporate-level relationship with Maxon to integrate their apps so closely. i'd love for newtek to also negotiate an integration with adobe - that would be so freakin' AWESOME (and would make them lots of $$ in LW sales).

i really don't want fusion, for the particle FX are not nearly as good as Trapcode's Particular 3 (just launched same day as fusion 9). and fusion doesn't support a lot of external plugins that i need for my video work. and of course, i don't have the $$ to plunk down on nuke -- waaaay too expensive for the studio version, which i would want if i were to switch. just not an option. if i need mograph 3D & AE, i've got C4D; i was just HOPING that i could somehow rig up LW to do the same thing, or that maybe there was a third party developer who could crack the code and bring us a true LW + AE integration... i'm a diehard LW'er, and try to make LW my universe, and for most projects, i can. just takes some old school creativity and workarounds to use AE with LW (renders with alpha, nulls, etc.). i'm pretty sure that the next version of LW hasn't gone in this direction, however, from what i understand.

in the meantime, just plunked down some serious coin and polished off my trapcode suite today with form, mir, horizon & lux. so now, have a full-service motion graphics + 3d OBJ AE pipeline. my wishlist is for a developer to code an elegant LW to AE plugin that allows full scene integration. that would make my heart swell with love and joy. (hint hint, 3rd party dev!:heart: )