PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rigging a Blob :)

gamedesign1
08-02-2017, 06:28 PM
Hi All
Could someone please point me in the right direction to rigging a character that doesn't have any legs, but is more like a blob that bounces.

Spinland
08-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Cage or Lattice Deformer by 3rd Powers?

gamedesign1
08-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Cage or Lattice Deformer by 3rd Powers?

Thanks for your reply :) I am not looking to spend money on extra plugins at this point. Was trying to figure a way of doing it with LightWave's own tools.

Spinland
08-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Maybe a few bones on the major axes, possibly use spline deformer for fluid motion, and morphs for secondary deformations.

Surrealist.
08-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Also IKB has dynamic bones. You'll have to get some good tuts on how to use and set up though.

wingzeta
08-02-2017, 07:33 PM
You might try using the true melt plugin that lets you control an object spreading out on the ground plane as you bring a null below ground level. I think it is a free one. Combine it with some some bones, and it might make for a better blob, that deforms on the ground well. I haven't tried it myself, so no promises. As far as the bones, figure out how many points of articulation you want in the blob, based on what actions it has to perform, and draw out those bones. Seems like it would only need a few bones. If you are trying for realism, you may need cloth fx. Just throwing out ideas, the more knowledgeable animators may have some better ones. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE3CgaevbzM&t=3s

http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueMelt

gamedesign1
08-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I put an extra bone in the root of the mesh that is not part of the main skeleton and that lets me stretch the mesh as it gets left behind, if that makes sense. I can also scale that bone in the XZ so I can bulge the base of the object :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Il4UXZ9rZo&feature=youtu.be

gamedesign1
08-02-2017, 09:14 PM
I have changed it to have two bones at the base that are separate from the main skeleton so I can make it look like the blob can walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBV6I5UyB6s

blackmondy
08-02-2017, 09:20 PM
You an use procedural textures as displacements to animate your blobs.

gamedesign1
08-03-2017, 04:21 AM
You an use procedural textures as displacements to animate your blobs.

Not sure how that works, do you have any examples?

Axis3d
08-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Plus, just adding SoftFX to a simple animation of a blob model being keyframed around can add a subtle jello effect to help soften it up a bit.

Surrealist.
08-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Here you will find vids on IKB which is a great tool all around in this kind of situation.

http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/02/the-comprehensive-guide-to-ikbooster-by-ryan-roye/

Surrealist.
08-03-2017, 11:05 PM
It got me!

gamedesign1
08-04-2017, 09:42 AM
IKB does seem really good :) Thanks

gamedesign1
08-04-2017, 10:27 AM
the interface is a bit clunky though, doesn't feel nice to use.

Surrealist.
08-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Absolutely. But once you get used to that, rigging and set up, it has a few features native LightWave does not. If you are going to animate in LW (out of the box) I strongly suggest looking into it and taking the time to learn it. It will pay off. :)

gamedesign1
08-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Absolutely. But once you get used to that, rigging and set up, it has a few features native LightWave does not. If you are going to animate in LW (out of the box) I strongly suggest looking into it and taking the time to learn it. It will pay off. :)

Ok great, thanks :) One thing I noticed when making a simple leg and foot setup is that the foot (fixed) would easily pass through the floor. But in IKB I couldn't find a way of stopping that. Something I can resolve in native LW IK.
Example https://youtu.be/9m2gNpbeUKQ
You can see the ankle doesn't stay fixed and kind of floats around that point. Very similar to how native setup would react if the bone didn't have enough prebend.
Haven't got my head completely round the workflow of it yet though of course.

gamedesign1
08-06-2017, 06:17 AM
Any thoughts pointers on how to solve this problem guys? I can't find a free tutorial explaining it. And I am not in a position to buy any tutorials at the moment.

Surrealist.
08-06-2017, 07:36 AM
That is solved with binding. A whole other subject. And it starts with first locking that joint. But for your purposes I would recommend something more like free bones. Or an actual IK set up using native LW tools. IKB will respect the constraints and goal set up.

I mainly recommended IKB for secondary motion with the bone dynamics.

It has been a long time since I used IKB. But I will say you'd have to really dig in and do some tutorials. The most up to date and comprehensive are going to be Ryan Roye's pdf guide and tutorial series.

A set up from all of this would be RHiggit tools, which I highly recommend.

But doing a blob you could simply have free bones if you wanted.

gamedesign1
08-09-2017, 03:49 PM
That is solved with binding. A whole other subject. And it starts with first locking that joint. But for your purposes I would recommend something more like free bones. Or an actual IK set up using native LW tools. IKB will respect the constraints and goal set up.

I mainly recommended IKB for secondary motion with the bone dynamics.

It has been a long time since I used IKB. But I will say you'd have to really dig in and do some tutorials. The most up to date and comprehensive are going to be Ryan Roye's pdf guide and tutorial series.

A set up from all of this would be RHiggit tools, which I highly recommend.

But doing a blob you could simply have free bones if you wanted.

WOW!! I didn't realize you could add IKB to an already setup IK rig. That is amazing! That opens everything up for me even more. Thanks so much :)

Spinland
08-09-2017, 04:16 PM
I know you've already said you're not in a place to do paid tutorials right now...but when you are, I cannot recommend RR's IKB stuff highly enough. He's making a somewhat obscure interface make sense to a knucklehead like me, and that's going some. Please keep him in mind when your budget allows some training funds.

And, yeah: RHigget is Da Bomb. Again, paid, but worth every Pfennig. No comfort when the budget is tight but I'd suggest you also put that in your when-you-can budget.

gamedesign1
08-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Yeah I will definitely get those tutorials when I can and I am currently using the free RHiggit version. Mainly for the auto orientation and rest length features.