PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having issues with lw from windows 10 upgrade please help

TIMMYLYNN
07-30-2017, 04:24 PM
hi.
sorry if I post in wrong place. I have searched 'google' and can't find anyone having issues like what i'm having...since the 'creators update' found it's way to my laptop. after it first loaded I checked everything to make sure it worked and all is good. it's when I shutdown and turned it back on...the system tray looks like a piece of glass...with nothing on it...but if I hover mouse/pen...I see other pieces of glass pop up telling me that my icons are still there...they are not visible...then I open any of my 3d app and the command/top line is missing...in lightwave specifically go to file and I get nothing or a blank piece of 'glass' that drops down...if I move the mouse/pen around over it...it might suddenly appear..if it is a popout from a dropdown, I can't get those to do anything...they're totally blank...hitting 'ALT' will sometimes make the text/icons appear...that works everytime for the system tray...I've researched and I can't find anyone else saying their 3d programs aren't working...but it's making my system useless...I've tried twice and had to roll back to 1607 both times and now it's trying to update again... it's something simple I am missing... it seems to have to do with the alt key...and the transparency on the desktop which from what I've researched Microsoft has decided to give the users no control over the desktop transparency only the task bar and start menu and I've tried turning that off and the system tray is still a sheet of glass until I hit alt then it turns gray and all the icons are visible...but the 3d programs...lightwave, modo, 3dcoat, silo...all of these become useless on my M17R4 POC...lol :) please someone tell me it's something very simple ... :) thank you for any help I keep hitting snooze...it downloaded again...even though I checked defer updates and is wanting me to restart...this is turning into a time killing nitemare....

TIMMYLYNN
07-30-2017, 05:39 PM
well it's solved for a bit...as I have pro I was able to set group policy and delay the update so now I have 4 options when hit power button...one is restart without update...so it's my understanding that will hold it for 180 days...I think...anyway I thought maybe NVidia driver but i'm reading horror stories of the gamers who are saying it's not working...has anyone on here gone to 1703 or you all have macs... :)

Greenlaw
07-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Wow, that sounds horrible. Sorry, I'm not much help but how do you tell which Windows build you have? I just want to check if the update has occured my computer yet. I'm not seeing the problem here but I'm not sure I'm using the same build as you.

In any case, I hope somebody drops in with a solution for you soon.

Edit: nevermind, I found it. It's listed in the Update History. I have the 1703 updates installed, but not seeing any UI 'transparency' issues and haven't noticed problems in any program.

Have you tried the graphics driver update yet? I know in the past, Windows updates had replaced certain hardware drivers on my system, and I had to manually install preferred or more recent versions of the drivers.

Edit: To be clear, I don't have transparency in the UI at all. I don't think I ever did in Win 10 so I guess I must have this feature disabled.

Paul_Boland
07-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Wow, that sounds horrible. Sorry, I'm not much help but how do you tell which Windows build you have? I just want to check if the update has occured my computer yet. I'm not seeing the problem here but I'm not sure I'm using the same build as you.

In any case, I hope somebody drops in with a solution for you soon.

Go to System Properties, it tells you what build version your Windows installation is. To get to it, open File Explorer, click on This PC on the left, and then on the top menu bar click on Computer and System Properties.

Timmylynn, any chance you could post a screenshot of this crazy issue.

Paul_Boland
07-30-2017, 07:00 PM
...has anyone on here gone to 1703 or you all have macs... :)

Just checked, I'm running 1703 and no issues. Might be worth doing a graphics card driver update just to try it. I keep mine up to date.

TreyX
07-30-2017, 08:09 PM
hi.
sorry if I post in wrong place. I have searched 'google' and can't find anyone having issues like what i'm having...since the 'creators update' found it's way to my laptop. after it first loaded I checked everything to make sure it worked and all is good. it's when I shutdown and turned it back on...the system tray looks like a piece of glass...with nothing on it...but if I hover mouse/pen...I see other pieces of glass pop up telling me that my icons are still there...they are not visible...then I open any of my 3d app and the command/top line is missing...in lightwave specifically go to file and I get nothing or a blank piece of 'glass' that drops down...if I move the mouse/pen around over it...it might suddenly appear..if it is a popout from a dropdown, I can't get those to do anything...they're totally blank...hitting 'ALT' will sometimes make the text/icons appear...that works everytime for the system tray...I've researched and I can't find anyone else saying their 3d programs aren't working...but it's making my system useless...I've tried twice and had to roll back to 1607 both times and now it's trying to update again... it's something simple I am missing... it seems to have to do with the alt key...and the transparency on the desktop which from what I've researched Microsoft has decided to give the users no control over the desktop transparency only the task bar and start menu and I've tried turning that off and the system tray is still a sheet of glass until I hit alt then it turns gray and all the icons are visible...but the 3d programs...lightwave, modo, 3dcoat, silo...all of these become useless on my M17R4 POC...lol :) please someone tell me it's something very simple ... :) thank you for any help I keep hitting snooze...it downloaded again...even though I checked defer updates and is wanting me to restart...this is turning into a time killing nitemare....

bummer! you might want to uninstall your graphics card driver and then re-install from scratch. if it's a graphics card driver issue, this will fix the prob.

I've disabled my windows updates entirely, and only update manually when i have the need. i'm still on 1607, so will prob keep it at that until i know that the latest build of win 10 pro is stable. you can disable and stop windows 10 updates by opening the services panel, and disabling the windows update service. this overrides any of win 10's pre-programmed update code, and will keep your system permanently at where it is until you manually enable the windows update service via the same process aforementioned. as for doing a system restore to the previous restore point, that might be your only option to return to the 1607 build. windows should have created a restore point prior to the update. but, make sure you have the restore point configured correctly before you try this; if your setting was "0" on restore point space allocation when the restore point was established, it wouldn't have kept any data for windows to actually restore from, and will wipe out your OS (this happened to me on a new dell workstation that had some serious problems out of the box). check to make sure you have enough restore space allocated, and if there is evidence of such, you can do a system restore as a last resort.

worst case scenario, if you have a system image and need to re-install windows from scratch, you can do so and use a boot device created to re-install your system image on a clean windows 10 pro install. i try to keep my system image up-to-date about every couple of weeks, or whenever i install a new app. this way, should i lose my OS, i can re-install windows and then restore my workstation to the state of the last backup. if you don't have this habit already in place, when you DO get your system back to normal, i would encourage you to begin the process of regular system image back-ups to an external HDD, and create a bootable USB flash drive in case it's needed. (Update: after writing this, i just did a brand new system image backup tonight, lol.):goodluck:

TIMMYLYNN
08-01-2017, 01:41 PM
i'm back to 1607 which works perfectly for me . I had to edit group policy and this stopped the update and has delayed it, so I will try the services thing if it starts downloading again later. as stated what I did said it will keep it off for 180 day. after I made the group policy change I had 4 options at power off for a couple of restarts and then yesterday I noticed it's back to 3 and says i'm up to date with 1607. Thanks everyone for your input, I definitely agree it could be graphics but when I reinstalled geoforce experience it's only giving me one option to update graphics and it's the driver all these gamers are saying making their systems not display things correctly and such so I'm hesitant to download it until I see the issues, as there appear to be more and more with 1703, are better resolved. It takes a while for that to update and I feel MS wasted about 2 days for me. not worth it. it's working fine now and has been ever since 1607. this isn't a brand spanking new system i'm on. it's about 3 years old I think but it's listed by MS as being tested by them to take 1703...blah blah...thanks