PDA

View Full Version : What reels should be up front as top of the cream to showcase for Lightwave?

prometheus
07-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Just took a peek at some old siggraph vids, some showcase of various movies and tv series from the past...so I thought, it has a lot to showcase from old timers like babylon5, the excorcist the beginning,5,seaquest, star trek, galacticta, skycaptain and the world of tomorrow, defiance, CSI, avatar, dune, grimm?, walking dead, dexter, sin city, iron man, 300 etc.
Now ..many of those are quite old, and some of the major movies lightwave may have been used for a small part, so not necessarely something that earns a wow factor in how important it was for that show etc.

So what do you guys think is some of the best to put up front, Avatar may have been cool ..but knowing it didnīt perhaps do the heavy stuft, yet important in pre-production , and defiance is a show I personally didnīt like in terms of visualFX as well as storywise, same with sharknado.

personally I think the Galactica series, (not blood and chrome though)..CSI, and 300 is great samples.

Your thoughts?

TreyX
07-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Just took a peek at some old siggraph vids, some showcase of various movies and tv series from the past...so I thought, it has a lot to showcase from old timers like babylon5, the excorcist the beginning,5,seaquest, star trek, galacticta, skycaptain and the world of tomorrow, defiance, CSI, avatar, dune, grimm?, walking dead, dexter, sin city, iron man, 300 etc.
Now ..many of those are quite old, and some of the major movies lightwave may have been used for a small part, so not necessarely something that earns a wow factor in how important it was for that show etc.

So what do you guys think is some of the best to put up front, Avatar may have been cool ..but knowing it didnīt perhaps do the heavy stuft, yet important in pre-production , and defiance is a show I personally didnīt like in terms of visualFX as well as storywise, same with sharknado.

personally I think the Galactica series, (not blood and chrome though)..CSI, and 300 is great samples.

Your thoughts?

u omitted firefly and serenity from your list. i've been binge watching firefly again while working, and this was truly an outstanding use of lightwave -- especially serenity (feature film). also, andromeda. been binge watching that as well. lightwave was the core for the entire series production. when u look at some of the visual FX as standalone segments, these series have some pretty impressive stuff. also luv dune & children of dune u mentioned. truly stunning classic LW there...

Serenity Miranda Space Battle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aodLBr0shc)

Children of Dune Opening (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recSv5m8C7w&list=RDrecSv5m8C7w#t=16) (This is truly magnificent, and one of my fav movie openings ever. Brian Tyler's score is phenomenal, and brings such power and majesty to the beautifully modeled architecture...

prometheus
07-29-2017, 12:45 PM
u omitted firefly and serenity from your list. i've been binge watching firefly again while working, and this was truly an outstanding use of lightwave -- especially serenity (feature film). also, andromeda. been binge watching that as well. lightwave was the core for the entire series production. when u look at some of the visual FX as standalone segments, these series have some pretty impressive stuff. also luv dune & children of dune u mentioned. truly stunning classic LW there...

Serenity Miranda Space Battle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aodLBr0shc)

Children of Dune Opening (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=recSv5m8C7w&list=RDrecSv5m8C7w#t=16) (This is truly magnificent, and one of my fav movie openings ever. Brian Tyler's score is phenomenal, and brings such power and majesty to the beautifully modeled architecture...

yeah..sorry, I canīt cover them all by just recalling in my mind when just posting a suggested list, I may actually gather most of the stuff I can and put to a document, unless it may be covered good in a newtek/ lightwave page, serenity I liked alot, havenīt seen firefly though.

I think the Lightwave group needs to make a better hotspot showcase with reference to some of the best of those reels, I know they have a page somewhere with a huge list where Lightwave "was used" but itīs not good enough for giving it justice, lightwave could just as well have been used to open a mesh to check for error then closed again and continued in other software.
e-on software does the hotspot showcase pretty nicely, covered with images and articles from vfx artists as well, there are similare showcases in lightwave as well, but itīs buried in the pages so you can not get to them upfront, things like that I think needs to be on the front pages for easy acess.

gar26lw
07-29-2017, 02:19 PM
http://www.engram.it

TreyX
07-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Children Of Dune Soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZdj5NJj-Bk)

truly, imho, the best film score ever written. when dune/children of dune premiered on SciFi back then, i was living in the mountain desert and was working on game titles with LightWave. i bought this soundtrack and would listen to it while driving across desert landscapes with my dogs. in one such excursion, i sat in the dunes of white sands missile range while a stealth bomber flew so close over me that i could see the face of the pilot as he checked me out. my own real-world dune experience... lol. but, as music enhances all films and helps transcend visual FX into an emotionally powerful experience, this soundtrack does the job with expert precision. add to that LW animation that was revolutionary at the time, and this counts as one of my all time fav sci fi epics. (a passionate dune series book fan, i also think they kept very loyal to the novels, a rarity in book-to-film re-tellings...)

- - - Updated - - -

Outstanding arch viz!

prometheus
07-29-2017, 07:55 PM

Great archviz indeed, may fit the top spot for archviz.

truly, imho, the best film score ever written. when dune/children of dune premiered on SciFi back then, i was living in the mountain desert and was working on game titles with LightWave. i bought this soundtrack and would listen to it while driving across desert landscapes with my dogs. in one such excursion, i sat in the dunes of white sands missile range while a stealth bomber flew so close over me that i could see the face of the pilot as he checked me out. my own real-world dune experience... lol. but, as music enhances all films and helps transcend visual FX into an emotionally powerful experience, this soundtrack does the job with expert precision. add to that LW animation that was revolutionary at the time, and this counts as one of my all time fav sci fi epics. (a passionate dune series book fan, i also think they kept very loyal to the novels, a rarity in book-to-film re-tellings...)

- - - Updated - - -

Outstanding arch viz!

soundtrack will not help sell lightwave vfx, but granted...good to know, I havenīt actually seen children of dune, so I might have missed something there ..both with reference to the vfx and the sountrack, two things I loved about the original movie..that was Brian Enos prophecy theme and scores, and Sean Young :)

gar26lw
07-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I am wondering if rendered with lw or rendered with something else?

shrox
07-29-2017, 08:42 PM
How about user reels?

https://vimeo.com/108869209

prometheus
07-29-2017, 08:53 PM
How about user reels?

Honestly ...for top of the cream, It would be very hard for any one man show to qualify, considering the level a series show or a movie show reaches with many more vfx artist, so while your stuff is cool and nice...I donīt think it should be up there as top of the cream reels together with some block busters or top series, havingthat said, some of your space art stills may make it :)

shrox
07-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Honestly ...for top of the cream, It would be very hard for any one man show to qualify, considering the level a series show or a movie show reaches with many more vfx artist, so while your stuff is cool and nice...I donīt think it should be up there as top of the cream reels together with some block busters or top series, havingthat said, some of your space art stills may make it :)

Oh I'd redo it, and besides there would be copyright issues I am sure. But there are some great user videos out there that would qualify.

prometheus
07-29-2017, 09:02 PM

truly, imho, the best film score ever written. when dune/children of dune premiered on SciFi back then, i was living in the mountain desert and was working on game titles with LightWave. i bought this soundtrack and would listen to it while driving across desert landscapes with my dogs.
Outstanding arch viz!

Bumping back on this, just watched a few clips on the tube from children of dune, and especially the awakening...and I immediately regognized the soundtrack to almost be a hardcopy of Peter Gabriels passion from the last temptation of christ, the armenian soundcarpet together with a mix of that typical drumming, which I think was a bit in the passion of the christ as well as in the movie "birdy" which Peter Gabriel did the soundtrack to.. and it was based on the security albumn and the track called the rythm of the heat and the stressing drum sequences at the end of that track...awesome movie without any cgi, so sorry for this sidetrack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOLajMYvSUk

And for rechecking children of dune..awakening, check 1:15 in the clip, where James mcAvoy is screaming..and in fact very similar to the screaming of mathew modine in the movie birdy after the chopper crash, then the drums goes crazy...
James McAvoy screams in awakening scene..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOLajMYvSUk

I also noticed peter gabriels influences in a tv series that Lightwave actually was used on as well, which was battlestar galactica and itīs drum sequences, sorry for the off topics here, I will try and stear back on track again.

ernpchan
07-29-2017, 09:16 PM
For a change of style the Nickelodeon stuff that was done in LightWave is always top notch. But I'm also biased towards that. :D

TreyX
07-29-2017, 10:20 PM

actually, i'm not in agreement here. indie studios are most likely staffed with generalists, and the quality of work can be comparable to Hollywood studio work -- if not even a bit more creative and stylized. here is where newtek should seriously devote a re-branding of LightWave as an indie studio powerhouse, and screw trying to pitch the hollywood angle. what LightWave needs is an integrated and comprehensive After Effects exchange plugin to appeal to motion graphics professionals (steal some of the market share from maxon), and to brand itself as an affordable, full studio package aimed at the indie & motion graphics designer. most of their 3D sales are going to be in this area, i'm afraid, if they want to expand their user base. hell, i'm an indie studio and a loyal LightWave user (because i like it, plain and simple). sure i have maya & C4D, but i prefer LW for my work unless a client needs otherwise. in fact, i've just invested about $3K+ in new plugins/renderer to expand my LightWave seat to make it into more of a studio bundle. I've basically got all of the features of Maya in my customized LightWave suite now, so that's pretty awesome. i'm proud to be an indie producer, and i think so many of us here are as well, and would be delighted to see more effort placed into profiling our work and giving us the capabilities we need to further customize LW to fit whatever type of work we do, from motion pictures to medical renders...

shrox
07-29-2017, 10:50 PM
actually, i'm not in agreement here. indie studios are most likely staffed with generalists, and the quality of work can be comparable to Hollywood studio work -- if not even a bit more creative and stylized. here is where newtek should seriously devote a re-branding of LightWave as an indie studio powerhouse, and screw trying to pitch the hollywood angle. what LightWave needs is an integrated and comprehensive After Effects exchange plugin to appeal to motion graphics professionals (steal some of the market share from maxon), and to brand itself as an affordable, full studio package aimed at the indie & motion graphics designer. most of their 3D sales are going to be in this area, i'm afraid, if they want to expand their user base. hell, i'm an indie studio and a loyal LightWave user (because i like it, plain and simple). sure i have maya & C4D, but i prefer LW for my work unless a client needs otherwise. in fact, i've just invested about $3K+ in new plugins/renderer to expand my LightWave seat to make it into more of a studio bundle. I've basically got all of the features of Maya in my customized LightWave suite now, so that's pretty awesome. i'm proud to be an indie producer, and i think so many of us here are as well, and would be delighted to see more effort placed into profiling our work and giving us the capabilities we need to further customize LW to fit whatever type of work we do, from motion pictures to medical renders...

I concur.

gar26lw
07-29-2017, 11:01 PM
I'd make it play real nice with unity and substance too

djwaterman
07-30-2017, 02:39 AM
Only commercial work and geared toward motion graphics, mechanical, product, cartoon animation and architectural stuff, you know, the stuff that suggests you could actually make a living and put the software to practical use, forget TV shows and Film stuff or any hobbyist examples unless they are too impressive to ignore. To that end I would be very surprised if LWG hadn't already contacted Chris Jones and supplied him with a beta version of LW to complete his human project and put some decent hair on that thing. Yeah, the work needs to be of a very high level to be included, but this thread will not have any effect to what stuff is used to promote the next release, ideally it would all be stuff made with that release anyway.

If you're talking about reels used to showcase LW as it is currently, well the stuff already being used is sufficient I think. I wouldn't want to see any of it being used for the next release, should be a clean start for that.

gar26lw
07-30-2017, 02:45 AM
I'd love an updated version of blade runner. That's what perked my interest a long time ago.
It's perking my interest in eevee atm. Oh look, they've got a roadmap..

https://code.blender.org/2017/03/eevee-roadmap/

Marander
07-30-2017, 08:13 AM
How about user reels?

Sorry for the harsh words but this looks like rendered in the last millennium. It's not bad but definitely not something I would expect to see in a new software reel.

shrox
07-30-2017, 08:50 AM
Sorry for the harsh words but this looks like rendered in the last millennium. It's not bad but definitely not something I would expect to see in a new software reel.

I did say I would redo it, my point was about user videos.

prometheus
07-30-2017, 09:01 AM

I disagree, though One doesnīt exclude the other, so strong one man show reels can surely be a part of the "top of the cream" but I definitely do not think they should shy away from exploiting the marketing already done by having movies made all the fuzz ready for you.

I think there are not so many one man shows that reach a high quality, apart from that..it needs to have already make a buzz of itīs own, not be there to help out personal reels to be showcased for the sake of that user, if the one man show hasnīt made buzz in the world already, or if it isnīt something extraordinary, I really do not see the point of focusing on such hotspot showcase.

One man shows can be great and spectacular, but it most certainly can not in some areas compete with a whole show with many folks in a vfx team or the budget they may have in their hands, provided those artist also is good at what they do.

We can also look at it, who will this showcase be reading, already established studios, new kids on the block getting all exciting about a certain movie and wanting to get in that vfx business, already made freelancers that may be using something else today, we can speculate in where most of the potential buyers will be located, but I do not believe it to be in freelancing, as such it will also be a bit hidden compared to movies or series which already will have made the marketing on the movies themself and also reaching a broader public than someone that may have picked up a link or heard a but a personal reel.

Chris Jones and his human project and then Richard Mans abiogenisis for example made a buzz for themself, but these cases are rare and I wouldnīt say it anyway would match the level of quality found in some of the greater movie busters or series, those are however a good example of personal reels at very high quality.

You know...more people may not per say provide excellent end result, it all comes down to if all or most of those people does a good job at it or not, but look at it this way, wouldnīt chris jones and Richard mans be able to pull up more work done, than anyone of them by themself, itīs only logical if the circumstances are right with good artist that more good artist can do more than just a single artist.

Im sure that if many of us users would have the time and interest to work on a larger project, inlcuding all from freelancers and hobbyist, we could probably spit out some really great stuff, at least in the vfx department, there are so much more to think of to get it all work in the end, such as good project ideas and someone do direct it all.

Having all that said, by all means, some personal reels may deserve to be up there, but it needs to meet certain criteria including having already made a buzz all over the world, or making sure it has potential to do that, thatīs however only my perspective on it, the Lw team decides what is best and they can read these threads and make their own conclusions which assertments makes most sense for their product.

You know there are a lot of good stuff in the galleries, many personal, but I did actually mention top of the cream, which means a certain selective process and bring up to front some of the best stuff out there, not all the good stuff, that will still be able to live in a showcase, but I was talking about top of the cream up front.

Michael

prometheus
07-30-2017, 09:14 AM
I did say I would redo it, my point was about user videos.

You also have to wait for the renders :)

Im curious, whatīs up next for you, any more on mars projects?

TreyX
07-30-2017, 02:30 PM
I disagree, though One doesnīt exclude the other, so strong one man show reels can surely be a part of the "top of the cream" but I definitely do not think they should shy away from exploiting the marketing already done by having movies made all the fuzz ready for you.

I think there are not so many one man shows that reach a high quality, apart from that..it needs to have already make a buzz of itīs own, not be there to help out personal reels to be showcased for the sake of that user, if the one man show hasnīt made buzz in the world already, or if it isnīt something extraordinary, I really do not see the point of focusing on such hotspot showcase.

One man shows can be great and spectacular, but it most certainly can not in some areas compete with a whole show with many folks in a vfx team or the budget they may have in their hands, provided those artist also is good at what they do.

We can also look at it, who will this showcase be reading, already established studios, new kids on the block getting all exciting about a certain movie and wanting to get in that vfx business, already made freelancers that may be using something else today, we can speculate in where most of the potential buyers will be located, but I do not believe it to be in freelancing, as such it will also be a bit hidden compared to movies or series which already will have made the marketing on the movies themself and also reaching a broader public than someone that may have picked up a link or heard a but a personal reel.

Chris Jones and his human project and then Richard Mans abiogenisis for example made a buzz for themself, but these cases are rare and I wouldnīt say it anyway would match the level of quality found in some of the greater movie busters or series, those are however a good example of personal reels at very high quality.

You know...more people may not per say provide excellent end result, it all comes down to if all or most of those people does a good job at it or not, but look at it this way, wouldnīt chris jones and Richard mans be able to pull up more work done, than anyone of them by themself, itīs only logical if the circumstances are right with good artist that more good artist can do more than just a single artist.

Im sure that if many of us users would have the time and interest to work on a larger project, inlcuding all from freelancers and hobbyist, we could probably spit out some really great stuff, at least in the vfx department, there are so much more to think of to get it all work in the end, such as good project ideas and someone do direct it all.

Having all that said, by all means, some personal reels may deserve to be up there, but it needs to meet certain criteria including having already made a buzz all over the world, or making sure it has potential to do that, thatīs however only my perspective on it, the Lw team decides what is best and they can read these threads and make their own conclusions which assertments makes most sense for their product.

You know there are a lot of good stuff in the galleries, many personal, but I did actually mention top of the cream, which means a certain selective process and bring up to front some of the best stuff out there, not all the good stuff, that will still be able to live in a showcase, but I was talking about top of the cream up front.

Michael

blah blah blah blah blah. :sleeping:

prometheus
07-30-2017, 04:13 PM
blah blah blah blah blah. :sleeping:

Brilliant.

djlithium
07-31-2017, 05:21 PM
Brilliant.

Galactica and IronSky are both good examples of the power of LightWave regardless of their "date" done. I'm not saying that because I worked on both, i'm saying it because both shows demonstrate clearly how LW can be used by very small teams to pull off REALLY BIG STUFF.
And that is why LW still kicks ***.

prometheus
08-02-2017, 01:01 AM
Galactica and IronSky are both good examples of the power of LightWave regardless of their "date" done. I'm not saying that because I worked on both, i'm saying it because both shows demonstrate clearly how LW can be used by very small teams to pull off REALLY BIG STUFF.
And that is why LW still kicks ***.

I think those are good examples, probably because of small teams and tight schedules pulling out a huge amount of shots, may deserve to be on top.

djlithium
08-02-2017, 01:22 AM
I think those are good examples, probably because of small teams and tight schedules pulling out a huge amount of shots, may deserve to be on top.

I'm in agreement but I would like to see stuff from more recent productions if possible. I believe though that the times that they took place are important though and can be worked in a way saying "look at what was done X years ago on X computers on X schedule with LightWave3d with X people" vs what happens today and takes more people, more computers and much more time.

prometheus
08-02-2017, 10:28 AM
I also find it a bit odd that the main menu in the lightwave page doesnīt include a showcase tab, the closest thing we get is either gallery..which really is just images, not proper showcase..and then you got the second image, stunning Lightwave overview..I think they need to bring it up also on the main menu.

sort of like how Terragen and vue does it.., where you can pick either images or where it was featured in a Move or tv series, or featured projects where it is in depth articles, the lightwave overview market landing page is a start, but I think it could be better, now I accidently strayed away from on topic about what reels?...In to the realm of how they should expose it:)

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137557&d=1501691252

prometheus
08-02-2017, 10:33 AM
And I forgot, hereīs the Landing page of lightwave market showcase...(2016) and letīs forget this year or if they pull it out within some weeks it may qualify for 2017...surely some great work must have been made in 2017.
http://static.lightwave3d.com/marketing/landing_page/2016/june/lw-page.html

THIBAULT
08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I am wondering if rendered with lw or rendered with something else?

Lightwave native render for Engram, i ask him !

shrox
08-02-2017, 12:06 PM

I would consider that user work.