PDA

View Full Version : Help - Sub-Ds frozen, need the cage back....

kyuzo
07-27-2017, 04:44 AM
Hi guys.
I was finishing off an urgent project late last night.
I copied the SubD object into a separate layer, froze it, exported it as an .stl, then went to bed happy.

I came to make a small adjustment this morning, and have somehow managed to save my frozen stl data over my .lwo.

So can I
a) find backup/recovery data tucked away somewhere?
b) is there a snazzy plugin which can convert a frozen mesh back into a SubD cage..?

Cheers,

Derek

Andy Webb
07-27-2017, 05:44 AM
Try looking in the Backup folder inside your project folder. Mind you if you have not got 'Auto Save' switched on then there won't be anything in there :-(

kyuzo
07-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Backup folder is empty - I was actually smart enough to check that out first. I might be muddled, but I had a vague recollection that LW would also save backups into the users' documents folder on the PC or something.

Curses.

Would have sworn I had auto save on.

Oh well.. on the positive side, it's always quicker to do it the second time round...

Thanks anyway Andy

Andy Webb
07-27-2017, 06:05 AM
That's a shame.

It's got me out of a few sticky situations.

Cheers

kyuzo
07-27-2017, 06:20 AM
Yeah, me too.
I now remember finding a backup copy of an object that way last year, and there's no way I'd have been stupid enough to turn autosave off...

Spinland
07-27-2017, 07:00 AM
I've had some limited success with this app. Depending on how badly you need the recovery it might be value added to try it.

http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/subd-recovery

kyuzo
07-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Hi Spinland,
That app looks like it does exactly what I need.
The only trade-off is the price... I lost around three, maybe four hours work... Is it worth spending a couple of hours to redo it? Or is it worth spending thirty euros?

If it was a day or two's worth of work, I wouldn't hesitate.

Hmm...

Still, it's reassuring to know that option exists,

Thanks

Spinland
07-27-2017, 07:51 AM
Yep, the cost/benefit analysis is always in the mix, grinning at you. ;D

kyuzo
07-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Ha ha, yeah.
Why is it never as simple as weighing up five minutes worth of work against a 300 app, or a month's worth of work and a 5 app?

The universe hates me..
;)

Sensei
07-27-2017, 11:05 PM
The universe hates me..
;)

No. Universe loves you.. That's why you're here.. ;)

daforum
07-28-2017, 12:19 AM
I've had some limited success with this app. Depending on how badly you need the recovery it might be value added to try it.

http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/subd-recovery

Hi Spinland. Does that app only work with quads?

lertola2
07-28-2017, 05:56 AM
Zbrush can recover sub divisions.

Kryslin
07-28-2017, 09:50 AM
If you know what level you froze it at, and what type of sub-d was used (Subpatched or Catmull Clark - they generate different numbers of polygons per original cage polygon) , you could use band glue (either native or LW-Brush) and fuse polygons to try to reconstruct it. This method, however, takes time.

However, if it's not that large or complicated, it's probably easier to just rebuild it.

Keep in mind that some commercial models (ie, Poser, Daz) that are frozen are deliberately altered to make the original cage unrecoverable.

kyuzo
08-01-2017, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions lertola and Kryslin.
I don't have ZBrush, but it's good to know that the functionality is there.

And I nearly did try using bandglue to get my original mesh back, but it just seemed like too much work compared to just redoing it.
In the end, I did just rebuild it, and it actually worked out better than the first time around, so can't complain.

Cheers everyone,

Derek