PDA

View Full Version : Game like interface for recording aircraft motion?

imshadi
07-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Hi. I have to animate an aircraft maneuvering between buildings in a city and I wonder if there is a plugin or software for maneuvering your vehicle in a game-like way and then recording that motion to use in Lightwave. I remember I did something similar with Formula 1 cars back in 2001, but I used a software called Reelmotion that ran only in windows 95. Is there a newer solution?

Thanks!

jwiede
07-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Check out the "Gamedevice" plugin from Walen (http://walen.se/index.html). No clue if it still works in LW2015, but sounds similar to what you're seeking.

jeric_synergy
07-26-2017, 05:59 PM
(I responded on FB to this too.) Is there some reason you'd not want to use Spline Control to do this?

imshadi
07-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Yeah. The timing and the physics (with Reelmotion your vehicle had top notch physics sim that made it feel awesomely realistic). I already did an animated version, but I'm not satisfied with the feeling of it. I want it to really feel like you are playing a game instead of watching an animated sequence, and even though I can make it feel like there's physics involved, there is something about actually driving the vehicle that is not easy to substitute.

jeric_synergy
07-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Perhaps you can contact the ReelMotion guys and see if they've got anything else.

++

This might be them: seems Autodesk only nowadays, but:

http://www.craftanimations.com/default/index.cfm/support/faq/compatibility/rendering-can-i-transfer-animations-to-shockwave-or-another-internet-based-rendering-utility/

At least they're neglecting MODO and C4D also. :\

wingzeta
07-26-2017, 11:47 PM
There is a plugin, or script that lets you use WASD keys or arrows to control the camera like an FPS. Might be pictrix? Not sure if it also extends to objects, but it seems like if you parented a null or object to the camera, it would work, and then you can shoot it with another camera.

I also saw a video of someone flying a ship around a LW scene in real time, but don't remember what plugin they were using, or if they were using the virtual studio tools with a controller or something.

wingzeta
07-26-2017, 11:51 PM
Found the Virtual Studio fly through video. Says they are using a Saitek X45 Flight controller. Looks like what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItNIHT5FjW4

Video even shows node set up. Pretty cool. Virtual Studio is definitely one of those parts of LW that hasn't been discussed a lot.

imshadi
07-28-2017, 11:51 PM
Found the Virtual Studio fly through video. Says they are using a Saitek X45 Flight controller. Looks like what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItNIHT5FjW4

Video even shows node set up. Pretty cool. Virtual Studio is definitely one of those parts of LW that hasn't been discussed a lot.

Wow! Thanks very much. This is very close! If I can get some physics added in those nodes it will be perfect.

jeric_synergy
07-28-2017, 11:59 PM
Wow! Thanks very much. This is very close! If I can get some physics added in those nodes it will be perfect.

The power of community! Suck it, Ayn Rand!

jwiede
07-29-2017, 01:35 AM

Alas, that may prove quite difficult, at least without significant scripting/coding involved. Making it actually replicate a real plane's movement characteristics would be a LOT more involved.

bazsa73
07-29-2017, 12:01 PM

Why? You dislike her?

wingzeta
07-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Funny you should mention her, because after decades of being generally aware of the basic ideas of Ayn Rand, I finally read 'Atlas Shrugged' recently (from the public library of course;-). The philosophy has some logical points, but is not something I could embrace, as it also appears to have some flaws. As a work of literature however, I was surprised to find a true classic. It is melodramatic, but that style makes sense for it to be understood, because it is presenting a view of the world, that is not commonly held. It is, an incredibly ambitious a work. Few have attempted something like this, and finished it successfully. It is a masterwork of writing fiction for the sake of ideas.

As I was reading it, I was thinking, "this philosophy seems like it was conceived in the mind of a person, who has no children, and doesn't want any." That wouldn't invalidate her ideas automatically, and no offense to anyone who doesn't want kids, but there were some logic gaps that would make sense if that were the case. Only when I finished the book, did I allow myself to read the Wikipedia bio of Rand, which confirmed my suspicion. That said, I like that she was passionate about her ideas, and made her case as an artist. I recommend the book. It will make you think, as most worthwhile books do, and like me, you may find yourself agreeing with some ideas, and disagreeing with others.

Had to comment, since I just read the book. Back to the polygons.

Bill Carey
07-29-2017, 02:06 PM
Why? You dislike her?

Perhaps he doesn't understand the difference between a community of individuals with common interests which she loved and a community of sheep, which she abhorred. (Lightwave forums being the former of course :) )

jeric_synergy
07-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Why? You dislike her?

Ya think? Her 'philosophy' has all the depth of fan fiction by a 14 y.o.

wingzeta
07-30-2017, 01:42 AM
Ya think? Her 'philosophy' has all the depth of fan fiction by a 14 y.o.

Having by chance actually read the book for the first time within the last month, and with no political axe to grind, I can't agree with that. The ideas are well formed and fairly sophisticated, but so are the ideas in "Das Kapital" (which I have also read). Both could do a lot of damage if followed to their ends (sorry 20th century). In the case of Atlas Shrugged, it is written as a, not so subtle, melodrama "heightened reality", which is clearly by design, in order to hammer its point home, without too much room for incorrect interpretation. This over the top drama is easy for critics to bash, if they pretend to not know it is intentional, or are not bright enough to get it. For that reason it seems to be chic to bash Rand, by pretending she is a clown, whether you have read it or not. From just reading her work, her intelligence is clear, even if I don't agree with her philosophy, which I don't.

Now I'm reading "Caves of Steel". Anyone want to argue Asimov doesn't understand robots any better than an 8 year old with an Optimus Prime toy hidden in his sock drawer?