PDA

View Full Version : Sub-D tube connection ?

madno
07-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Sorry, me again with a modeling question.

How to make the below connection without getting pinches by the star? Tried so many variation now (multiple edge loops, different edge loops, more edge loops, stencil this, stencil that), it just doesn't work. In all the examples online it is always a straight tube, not a curved one.

prometheus
07-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Sorry, me again with a modeling question.

How to make the below connection without getting pinches by the star? Tried so many variation now (multiple edge loops, different edge loops, more edge loops, stencil this, stencil that), it just doesn't work. In all the examples online it is always a straight tube, not a curved one.

To make it simple, can you use the catmull clark subpatches rather than the normal subpatch mode?
or simply do not use subpatches, use subdivide metaform (twice should be enough) until itīs enough and use smooth shading.
or reconstruct geometry the hard way.

erikals
07-25-2017, 05:58 PM
yep, catmull clark will be better, though not 100%

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137484&d=1501028059

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137485&d=1501028066

...honestly, that was much better than i thought. (!) :)

i still like SubPatches quite a lot though, since they are faster to work with.

erikals
07-25-2017, 06:41 PM
thought i'd make a video on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16raPv5LDls

madno
07-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Hm, that simple. Took the geometry as it is and switched to CC. Thanks for the hint. Glad that it wasn't me not knowing how to sub-d ;-)

In many threads it was written, that we should avoid CC in LW beacause it is not fully supported. In what cases would that be relevant? Seems so, for simple static geometry CC is ok.

prometheus
07-26-2017, 12:36 AM
Hm, that simple. Took the geometry as it is and switched to CC. Thanks for the hint. Glad that it wasn't me not knowing how to sub-d ;-)

In many threads it was written, that we should avoid CC in LW beacause it is not fully supported. In what cases would that be relevant? Seems so, for simple static geometry CC is ok.

If you do not see any render artifacts..nor intend to use it for deformation, make it simple and use, it, Ivé seen articles quite long that discusses it..but wonīt go in there in detail..since I believe that is more a bout deforming etc, and perhaps interchange between other apps, but for hard surface I think it should be fine in most
cases, you also have an option to use weights to sharpen edges while maintaining smooth areas in others to mix rounded hard surface and with sharper ones, there is tutes around this too..but canīt locate it now.

other than that, also simply use a dense mesh without subpatches may work, especially for things like you have on the table, and not too many objects, so metaform to subdivide it (not subpatch) is also a way to go, you always need to be aware of how close the object your camera will be, and how large your (eventual) huge print will be :) since that requires a high level of subpatches to make the mesh look smooth, or an equalent very high metaformed (freezed mesh)

erikals
07-26-2017, 12:51 AM
the reason why SubD in LightWave receives heat is because NT never fixed the "Set CC Sharpness" bug.

as long as you don't mess with "CC Sharpness" all is fine.

--- or something like that, can't recall 100% ---

Ztreem
07-26-2017, 01:48 AM
the reason why SubD in LightWave receives heat is because NT never fixed the "Set CC Sharpness" bug.

as long as you don't mess with "CC Sharpness" all is fine.

...and if you don't plan to UV map your model CC is fine.

erikals
07-26-2017, 02:22 AM
yeah, someone (NT) needs to look into that
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149547-How-can-I-do-uv-mapping-with-catmull-Clark
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127268-uv-map

gerry_g
07-26-2017, 03:36 AM
can use uv's with CC just either need to permanently freeze your model before you uv or temporarily freeze the object so as you can output a usable uv then unfreeze it, true the second method means you can't edit uv's but it's something

actually if you stay in line mode as per the way many other packages do they work just fine

Ztreem
07-26-2017, 08:23 AM
can use uv's with CC just either need to permanently freeze your model before you uv or temporarily freeze the object so as you can output a usable uv then unfreeze it, true the second method means you can't edit uv's but it's something

actually if you stay in line mode as per the way many other packages do they work just fine

If you freeze the CC for UV's then its not CC's anymore just plain polys.

erikals
07-26-2017, 09:55 AM
the method you (Ztreem) mentioned in another thread is a method that could work... sometimes...

You can set the CC level down to 1 and then freeze the model and you will have only quads. Now you can use normal subpatches that works with UV mapping.

something to consider...

best would be if NT finally fixed CC though [ahem] ...how many years now?

jeric_synergy
07-26-2017, 10:32 AM
If you freeze the CC for UV's then its not CC's anymore just plain polys.

But hitting the TAB key turns 'em back into CC, at a higher density. ???

(In fact, it's that magical "make Quads" behavior that's nice...)

gerry_g
07-26-2017, 02:31 PM
no I meant freeze just to have a legible uv map for export, then either undo or don't save, it is just the uv display that is screwed up not the actual uv's in CC

Ztreem
07-26-2017, 03:17 PM
no I meant freeze just to have a legible uv map for export, then either undo or don't save, it is just the uv display that is screwed up not the actual uv's in CC

Ah, ok. interesting workaround if it works.