PDA

View Full Version : LW triggered ICS logon ???

Heimhenge
03-07-2003, 09:24 AM
This is very weird. I just opened LW7.5 and, for around 30 seconds, only the top title bar appeared. LW normally loads much faster on my system (1.4G Athlon w/1G DDR). Then I noticed the sound of my modem dialing up from the other room. I have a 4 PC peer-to-peer home network using MS ICS.

Does LW have some kind of built-in that goes online and checks for updates or something automatically on bootup?

My copy of LW is registered and legal, and I can find nothing in the manual that would explain this type of behavior.

Very weird. Any ideas?

Skonk
03-07-2003, 10:41 AM
No but the way lightwave communicates between the 3 programs (layout, modeler and the hub) is classed as network traffic (it uses tcp/ip) so i think it must of been something to do with that, but im not really sure why its happened.

James..

Heimhenge
03-07-2003, 01:20 PM
SD: Really! Interesting ... if I had LW running on separate machines in my network I guess that would make sense, but I don't. I never heard of software components on the same machine communicating via TCP/IP, but then, I'm not a programmer. At least not in VB or C. That would seem to mean that Layout, Modeler and Hub are all assigned some kind of internal IP address. If I knew what that was I could filter them out on on the host machine. Perhaps I should contact Newtek tech directly and ask them about this.

It's only a minor annoyance, and when I finally get some always-on broadband options out here it'll be a moot point.

It was just such a weird occurrence, and it's never happened with any other apps, that I was curious about it.

Bionic Antboy
03-07-2003, 05:45 PM
That IS weird!

From what I understand, the hub uses the localhost 127.0.0.1 to communicate between Layout and Modeler. Could it be that there is some event set in a system preference, or another software, that LW maybe triggers? I've never heard of that before...

If you can repeat it consistently, see if it happens when you disable the hub.

I've got to admit, I'm curious...

Antboy

Heimhenge
03-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Antboy: 127.0.0.1 ... ok. Let me poke around a bit and see what I can find. I'll report back if I can make any sense of it.

Heimhenge
03-08-2003, 08:59 AM
SD & AB: After poking around I'm embarassed to admit the answer to the puzzle. I was unable to recreate the problem from my video PC, so I started looking around the host PC. Turns out the entire event was a coincidence. A remarkable one at that ...

I had recently installed NAV2003 on the host PC and it set itself up to automatically update virus definitions at exactly the time and day of week that I happened to open LW when this event first occurred! What's that ... about a 1000 to 1 shot?!

Dudes, sorry to waste your time with a problem that wasn't a problem.

Bionic Antboy
03-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Well, what are ya gonna do, eh? Things like that happen sometimes :)

sheidi
03-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Also if lw still starts little slow, cause might be firewall. Anyway from personal experience norton personall firewall will delay lw start. Maybe you added some sort of firewall also there?

Heimhenge
03-11-2003, 10:13 PM
No firewall. I have a dialup connection with ICs running on a host PC. So my router can't use DHCP or it messes up ICS. With my router (LinkSys BEFSR 81) that means the firewall is on the host or not at all. When I get some broadband options beyond satellite I'll use the router as a router instead of as a switch. So for now, there is no firewall ... just NAV2003.

I'm out in the boonies in the desert north of Phoenix, so DSL or cable may be years coming to this area.

But as I said in the previous response, the problem appears to have been an amazing coincidence that has not since repeated.