PDA

View Full Version : Screamer net woes

rustythe1
07-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Hi, I'm currently having problems with screamer net, I'm just setting it up on my main pc so not running over a network, set up the bac file, lwsn starts, go in to layout, network render and no node is picked up? 2015.3, any ideas, cheers!

Danner
07-24-2017, 02:45 PM
Network rendering in general is very picky about paths, so make sure you pack your scene before submitting it to screamernet. I can't really help you troubleshoot every step as I've really never used SN, when I need to distribute my renders I use Amletto, when I just need a list of scenes in one machine I use render Q.

MonroePoteet
07-24-2017, 04:24 PM
Yes, as Danner says, LWSN is very picky about having all the content and binaries on network drives even if you're rendering with LWSN locally. I copied the LW 11.6.3 tree If you haven't watched the tutorials by Richie Allen, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x66tBf4Qfc4

they're very helpful.

The other really tricky part about LWSN is after using "Package Scene" to move all the content for your scenes to the network drive, be sure to start Layout with the -c option specifying the config files location on the shared network drive, load the scene AND EXIT OUT. This rewrites the CFG files with appropriate paths for the scene. Otherwise, when the other nodes start LWSN, they may use CFG files with the wrong paths, etc. for the scene being rendered.

For example, I always use "Map Network Drive" to map the shared folder containing LW content to X, and the shared folder containing LW binaries, etc. to Y:, so my LWSN_Layout shortcut is defined as:

"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6\bin\Layout.exe" -cY:\config -0

specifying Y:\config as the CFG files location, and -0 disabling the hub. Before starting network rendering, I invoke this command-line Layout, set the content directory to the appropriate X:\<folder>, load the appropriate scene, AND EXIT OUT. This rewrites the CFG files correctly for network rendering.

As I said, watching those tutorials and *carefully* following each step was very helpful for me setting up a successful ScreamerNet configuration.

Good luck!
mTp

rustythe1
07-24-2017, 06:09 PM
I don't think the problem is the paths, or rather my first problem is not the path, its the fact that screamer net is running on the same pc as layout, but layout is not even picking up the running process, i.e. you cant even select a CPU to add a job too, ive had it working before but I am wondering if windows has screwed up access rights to certain software, I have been encounter problems with media sharing also since the last two windows updates,
ive tried direct c drive paths, standard paths, mapped paths, screamer LWSN exe starts and runs, but LW layout wont list a processor.

pquinn
07-24-2017, 07:19 PM
.... its the fact that screamer net is running on the same pc as layout, but layout is not even picking up the running process,
The paths do play a big role. I have an 8 core cpu, to make the most i run a local screamer net. Your batch files that you run, are what determiners whic cpu gets what frame. Here is a copy of my batch file that i run. i have 8 of these for my 8 core and i used unc naming, so my network will find the proper storage area. I always run screamer net from layout, have any question feel free to drop me a line directly. I pm'ed you my email.

echo init >\\AMD-FX\LightwaveStorage\command\job1

\\AMD-FX\LightwaveStorage\BIN\LWSN.exe -2 -d\\AMD-FX\LightwaveStorage\ -c\\AMD-FX\LightwaveStorage\config64 \\AMD-FX\LightwaveStorage\command\job1 \\AMD-FX\LightwaveStorage\command\ack1

jwiede
07-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Hi, I'm currently having problems with screamer net, I'm just setting it up on my main pc so not running over a network, set up the bac file, lwsn starts, go in to layout, network render and no node is picked up? 2015.3, any ideas, cheers!

Honestly, use something like Constellation or BNR, you'll find it SO much easier to manage compared to "raw" LWSN, and more flexible as well.

nemac4
07-24-2017, 10:48 PM
but layout is not even picking up the running process, i.e. you cant even select a CPU to add a job too

Sounds like access to the job and ack files is not working. That could cause this problem.
Are the job and ack files for each node writing to the share?
You could try making dummy job and ack files for testing.

rustythe1
07-25-2017, 12:57 AM
job files are, ack files are not, I have since been using BNR,

jwiede
07-25-2017, 01:52 AM
job files are, ack files are not, I have since been using BNR,

After getting a semi-working setup using "raw" LWSN, I switched to BNR a long time back, and never considered "raw" LWSN again.

Whatever else LW3DG does with the new renderer, I dearly hope they've figured out they need to provide a proper, native job (and pass) mgmt solution.

nemac4
07-25-2017, 02:15 PM
I use BNR as well. Hard to beat... But learning the native method is not a bad idea anyway as sometimes you will run into problems and a better understanding of the native setup can help with fixing problems.

Paul the BNR guy has mentioned NEXT support so I think it will be a good investment for you.

rustythe1
07-26-2017, 12:57 PM
that's the thing, ive set it up several times before and its worked first time, the difference there is they were all remote machines so used mapped drives, here I am using the default install with a different config direct on c drive
so in 2015.3 it just reads

cd C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin
LWSN.exe -2 cC:\Lightwave\config_sn C:\Lightwave\command\job1 C:\Lightwave\command\ack1

the dos window runs with the usual cant access job, you go to layout and no CPUs are listed

nemac4
07-26-2017, 01:29 PM
that's the thing, ive set it up several times before and its worked first time, the difference there is they were all remote machines so used mapped drives, here I am using the default install with a different config direct on c drive
so in 2015.3 it just reads

cd C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin
LWSN.exe -2 cC:\Lightwave\config_sn C:\Lightwave\command\job1 C:\Lightwave\command\ack1

the dos window runs with the usual cant access job, you go to layout and no CPUs are listed

Try this- :

LWSN.exe -2 -cC:\Lightwave\config_sn -dC:\Lightwave\Content C:\Lightwave\command\job1 C:\Lightwave\command\ack1

--added -c and -d
-c sets config dir

-d sets the content dir

nemac4
07-26-2017, 02:01 PM
I tested this on my PC and got this to work:

cd C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\bin\
lwsn.exe -2 -cC:\Lightwave\config_sn\ -dC:\Lightwave\Content\ C:\Lightwave\command\job1 C:\Lightwave\command\ack1

made some typos... but this works

Scazzino
07-26-2017, 02:13 PM
Even if you want to run LWSN natively from the command line. You can still use the Free LITE version of DLI_SNUB-Launcher to build and verify your command lines with a simple drag and drop GUI. Then you can copy/paste the resulting command line to use natively or in a script. That way you don't have to worry about typos or syntax errors.

http://dreamlight.com/shop/dli-snub-launcher-lightwave-3d-network-rendering/