PDA

View Full Version : Bakshi Article Storyteller Animators Might Find Useful

Chernoby
07-23-2017, 06:21 PM
"Let me tell you what itís about. Itís not about the line. Itís not about the animation. Itís not about the backgrounds. Thatís all ********. Itís about the movie. How do you feel about the movie? You donít like the line? Excuse me, that is ********. Thatís missing the point. Give animators something to move, and theyíre happy. Thatís not what itís about; itís about what you are saying, goddammit. What are you saying? Are you saying the same old thing again? You love the lines, and you love the colors, and you love the poses, but itís nothing but the same old thing, again."

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/interviews/i-love-animators-i-just-want-them-to-wake-up-a-birthday-interview-with-ralph-bakshi-120559.html

stiff paper
07-24-2017, 02:15 AM
Thanks for that link.

In no particular order, that made me feel: furious, inspired, depressed, reassured, indignant, and sad.

Surrealist.
07-25-2017, 01:35 AM
lol yeah that guy does not hold anything back. Which is what I like about him.

I love this interview:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/animators/bakshi-at-comic-con-6240.html

Spinland
07-25-2017, 06:45 AM
Bakshi was one of my teen heroes. I watched Wizards more times than I can count, and Fire & Ice teamed with Frazetta was an instant S&S genre classic.

MichaelT
07-25-2017, 12:34 PM
lol yeah that guy does not hold anything back. Which is what I like about him.

I love this interview:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/animators/bakshi-at-comic-con-6240.html

+1000: I agree fully with what he is saying. Solve your issues, don't just sit there getting older. Getting old is for those not being busy with their life.

Chernoby
07-25-2017, 01:35 PM
Bakshi was one of my teen heroes. I watched Wizards more times than I can count, and Fire & Ice teamed with Frazetta was an instant S&S genre classic.

Wizards is my favorite film ever! Despite its shortcomings.

Spinland
07-25-2017, 02:14 PM

"Very bad. Not good." ;D

shrox
07-25-2017, 02:32 PM
Is it OK if I didn't care for Bakshi? I saw Fire and Ice with my mom, just didn't like it. Kind of saw Wizards at a party, spent more time at the keg than watching the movie.

ecsegar
07-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Is it OK if I didn't care for Bakshi? I saw Fire and Ice with my mom, just didn't like it. Kind of saw Wizards at a party, spent more time at the keg than watching the movie.

I actually got to see it when I was over Frank's house. He would stop it in places and explain subtle details that were often beyond me.

I thought Bakshi was a pretty sleazy guy. He approached me in the mid 90's about some background work. Everyone I knew who had dealings with him, had negative experiences.
He has no problem exploiting artists, he had students doing artwork for his pitches for free.

I owned an original pulp cover painting on display in my studio, he tried to hustle it from me for a fraction of its value.
So, I don't think much of him at all. And yes, Frank thought he sucked!

TreyX
07-25-2017, 05:29 PM

in my wild youth back in the 80's, i saw wizards at a local indo movie house on acid. best trip i ever had. haha! i said so in response to an article about bakshi about a year ago and he chimed it and loved my comment. he and ray harryhausen are my animation heroes...

Spinland
07-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Bakshi's work came into my life when I was breaking free of a rather dogmatic and overbearing upbringing, and his IDGAF attitude resonated with what I needed at the time. Looking back on his early work now, I realize that, among many things, I'm a better rotoscope artist than his staff. I have better tools now, but still. The reason his stuff has longevity with me is nostalgia over my "awakening." Yeah, I roll my eyes nowadays at the juvenile sexuality he wallowed in, but again: those were the times for me and it worked then. Now I give him a pass. ;D

Chernoby
07-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Bakshi definitely had a reputation for steamrolling artists. But he was a hustler that made Wizards, Hey Good Lookin, Coonskin, and American Pop. These are great films. Nothing like them since.

MichaelT
07-27-2017, 02:01 AM
I actually liked his Lord of the rings movie too. Really heartbreaking that its sequels never came. In some regards I like that one better than the new ones. Darker, more painful.

Spinland
07-27-2017, 05:46 AM
I actually liked his Lord of the rings movie too. Really heartbreaking that its sequels never came. In some regards I like that one better than the new ones. Darker, more painful.

Yeah. My best friend and I took a bus cross town to see it on release day and, thanks to our geeky magazine subscriptions, we knew full well it was only going to be half the tale. I thought the characterizations were masterfully-done though the roto felt too squirmy and transparent for my taste. Even as a teen I was becoming an animation snob. ;D