PDA

View Full Version : Video monitor tool, RGBX vs YUV performance.

CraigMcN
07-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Hi,

We've got our application outputting NDI fine using NDIlib_send_send_video_async().

Our initial implemention sent RGBX data, which worked well both on our app and on the video monitor tool on a remote machine. I've since updated our app to convert to YUV via the GPU and send YUV data. Our app is still locked to it's 25Hz framerate, but the performance on the video monitor tool has tanked. It's still updating at 25Hz (according to Fraps), but it's getting massive frame duplication which makes the frame rate look about very rough (maybe 12.5Hz, maybe less? hard to tell exactly)

I was under the impression that YUV should be a higher performance path, is this problem on the video monitor end, or is there something our app could be doing to cause this performance problem?

Thanks.

livepad
07-19-2017, 03:47 AM
Hi,

We've got our application outputting NDI fine using NDIlib_send_send_video_async().

Our initial implemention sent RGBX data, which worked well both on our app and on the video monitor tool on a remote machine. I've since updated our app to convert to YUV via the GPU and send YUV data. Our app is still locked to it's 25Hz framerate, but the performance on the video monitor tool has tanked. It's still updating at 25Hz (according to Fraps), but it's getting massive frame duplication which makes the frame rate look about very rough (maybe 12.5Hz, maybe less? hard to tell exactly)

I was under the impression that YUV should be a higher performance path, is this problem on the video monitor end, or is there something our app could be doing to cause this performance problem?

Thanks.

If I were you I would try using a software RGB to YUV temporarily to eliminate any possible issues going in in the GPU.

That might help narrow down the issue.