PDA

View Full Version : Sea Shell Cloning?

objuan
07-13-2017, 12:22 AM
I want to make an object, and then clone it a bunch, each time scaling it down a little, and rotating around a point and moving it up some. Basically I want to make a seashell of rings. I can almost do this with the Clone tool, except with every clone it moves it up 1m, which is too much once my clones get small. I want for it to move the 1st clone up 1m, the 2nd .9m, the 3rd .9m x .9, and so on...

How can I do this?

I noticed there is a Seashell tool that essentially does what I want, except it is extruding a poly around, I just want clones...

MSherak
07-13-2017, 03:28 PM
Try the Helix tool. This can get your the curves that you want. Then do a rail clone.

How you get the curves is make a box. Use the helix tool and get the size you want. Then hit ok. it will create a curve in a layer and clone the box along it. Make another box on another layer. Run the tool again, only this time type in a smaller value for the radius. Hit ok.

Now you have two curves that are the same size going up. Now do a rail clone of the object in question along the curves and they will scale to fit between the rails.

Want more control? Take the inner or the outer curve and do a stretch with the linear falloff activated, numeric panel, so you can get the curves closer together at the top or bottom.

prometheus
07-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Try the Helix tool. This can get your the curves that you want. Then do a rail clone.

How you get the curves is make a box. Use the helix tool and get the size you want. Then hit ok. it will create a curve in a layer and clone the box along it. Make another box on another layer. Run the tool again, only this time type in a smaller value for the radius. Hit ok.

Now you have two curves that are the same size going up. Now do a rail clone of the object in question along the curves and they will scale to fit between the rails.

W

Want more control? Take the inner or the outer curve and do a stretch with the linear falloff activated, numeric panel, so you can get the curves closer together at the top or bottom.

I was about to suggest that, but maybe even better if you simply make a point, go to create/polygons/more and make 1 point polygon..now what is important is that the point isnīt in center origin spot, move it a bit to the side, then simply run the seashell tool on that, and with numeric panel open, you will have the option to adjust the curve and loop as you see fit, so that is one way of getting the seashell spiral curve correct without extruding polys, then use the rail clone as you also suggested.

Edit..it may actually be pretty much the same, as end result of the curve..but you may have more controll with direct feedback using it as I suggested.

MSherak
07-13-2017, 03:48 PM
True but you do need two curves to keep the object scale uniform as it clones. check the image attached that I forgot before

objuan
07-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Thanks!

Gonna take a fair amount of toying with it to get what I am going for, but I think this approach will get me there...

Out of curiosity, any idea what the Strength setting is about inside Rail Clone? While changing it does seem to slightly alter the end result, it seems only very slight.

Also, is there a way to convert a 2 point poly chain to a curve? Since it seems Rail Clone only likes curves?

Cheers fellows.

prometheus
07-14-2017, 12:51 PM
This free plugin...
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/ef-toggle-linescurves/