PDA

View Full Version : Is ZbrushCORE worth looking into?

jperk
07-12-2017, 08:32 AM
I just noticed ZbrushCORE and it's around $150. Does it include retopology tools? I noticed it doesn't have FBX import/export, but does have obj. Not too concerned about ZBrush painting tools since I own Substance Painter 2. Just wondering if Core is worth investment to to bring in LW models or import into LW for animation/ rigging.

hrgiger
07-12-2017, 08:55 AM
You can see the comparison chart here. http://zbrushcore.com/features Zbrush Core does not include the auto retopology tools. It has Zspheres but I don't know if that includes zsphere retopology.

jperk
07-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Not sure what zpshere retopology is. I've only use retopology tools in Mudbox.

hrgiger
07-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Zsphere retopology is essentially the manual form of retopology inside of zbrush. Essentially it works in zbrush by appending a sphere to your current tool, enabling topology and then drawing out your new topology over top of the subtool in a background layer.

jperk
07-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Zsphere retopology is essentially the manual form of retopology inside of zbrush. Essentially it works in zbrush by appending a sphere to your current tool, enabling topology and then drawing out your new topology over top of the subtool in a background layer.

Ah okay. I remember my instructor going over the "drawing over" with polys bit in Maya. However, I ended up just using the reto tool in Mudbox for one of my models by drawing lines / circles , etc

bazsa73
07-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Ah okay. I remember my instructor going over the "drawing over" with polys bit in Maya. However, I ended up just using the reto tool in Mudbox for one of my models by drawing lines / circles , etc

I find Zbrush's retopo tediuos and painful. It behaves in a crippled manner, it puts vertices where you did not intend to and creates degenerate polygons and hidden overlapping errors. Unless you really have to use it but as you say
Maya offers hands down better retopo toolset.

jperk
07-12-2017, 04:32 PM
I find Zbrush's retopo tediuos and painful. It behaves in a crippled manner, it puts vertices where you did not intend to and creates degenerate polygons and hidden overlapping errors. Unless you really have to use it but as you say
Maya offers hands down better retopo toolset.

Honestly, I had problems with retopo tools in Mudbox as well. I actually had to bring the model into Maya to make some further adjustments. Especially in the face (nose, eyes and lips) and hair.

Here is the before and after (Mudbox on left and Maya on right)

samurai_x
07-13-2017, 12:07 AM
Buy it with 3dcoat student ed. You'll be all set.
The only thing you really need in zbrush is sculpting which is what it does best.
3dcoat can handle the retopo, uvmapping, painting.

OlaHaldor
07-13-2017, 05:38 AM
Note though: you can't use brushes made in Zbrush with Zbrush Core. So if you'd like to get some brushes to create scratches, dents, rocks, whatever - it will be hard to find.
I've never seen a pack of brushes for Zbrush Core on Gumroad actually.

Zremesher, while not being mentioned at all on the comparison chart, I've googled a little, and it seems it's not in Zbrush Core. It's a crucial part of the workflow for a lot of artists. What it does is take, say, a 2 million poly sculpt, and reduce it to 700K polys. Quads, as much as possible. That's quite handy.

Nor can you project in Zbrush Core or make UV maps, which also is part of a very common workflow.
While UV maps can be created in different software, some times you just don't need that amount of control if it's a rock or a cliff etc.

- Sculpt high res
- Duplicate the sculpt
- Zremesh the copy (to make a 'low poly')
- UV map
- Subdivide and project the 'low poly' to the high res sculpt
- bake ao, normal, displacement etc to image maps

The steps above must be done in different software if you go with Core.
I usually do retopo in Modo or 3D Coat, then bring back to Zbrush.

samurai_x
07-13-2017, 06:28 PM
Nor can you project in Zbrush Core or make UV maps, which also is part of a very common workflow.
While UV maps can be created in different software, some times you just don't need that amount of control if it's a rock or a cliff etc.

- Sculpt high res
- Duplicate the sculpt
- Zremesh the copy (to make a 'low poly')
- UV map
- Subdivide and project the 'low poly' to the high res sculpt
- bake ao, normal, displacement etc to image maps

The steps above must be done in different software if you go with Core.
I usually do retopo in Modo or 3D Coat, then bring back to Zbrush.

Jperk is a student and probably trying to save money.

- Sculpt high res in zbrush(optional - paint with polypaint)
- Export the sculpt with vertex colors
- Make low poly uvmapped model in 3dcoat, etc
- Bake high poly to low poly with necessary image maps using 3dcoat, lightwave, xnormal, etc.

hrgiger
07-13-2017, 08:02 PM
If cost is an issue, he would be better off by sticking with 3DCoat instead of trying to wrap his head around two different applications with fairly steep learning curves. Or even give Blender a shot for free, although I don't know how good its sculpting tools are. I have both ZB and 3DCoat but I prefer ZB but its more expensive today then it was when I bought it. Based on a few friends who own it, I wouldn't recommend Zbrush Core, its so limited compared to the full version, I think you would hit walls with it fairly quickly.

jperk
07-13-2017, 11:34 PM
3Dcoat is $300 I think. Not that bad. The student version is even cheaper, but does not allow for commercial usage. I wonder if there is a good upgrade path to commercial.

TreyX
07-13-2017, 11:50 PM
3Dcoat is $300 I think. Not that bad. The student version is even cheaper, but does not allow for commercial usage. I wonder if there is a good upgrade path to commercial.

r u still a student? if so, take advantage of the student discounts on full version apps while u can. worry about upgrading to commercial licenses later once you've got a nice portfolio of work and land some gigs. when the coin flows in, then invest in migrating to commercial licenses. as long as the student versions are full, unlocked and functioning apps, then milk 'em for all their worth. :)

OlaHaldor
07-14-2017, 09:48 AM
What he said!
Still can't believe I got Foundry's Production Collective for about $7900 off as a student. :D

bobakabob
07-15-2017, 01:53 AM
I just noticed ZbrushCORE and it's around $150. Does it include retopology tools? I noticed it doesn't have FBX import/export, but does have obj. Not too concerned about ZBrush painting tools since I own Substance Painter 2. Just wondering if Core is worth investment to to bring in LW models or import into LW for animation/ rigging.

Zbrush core is really an expensive demo but if it allows you to upgrade to the full app is not so bad.You can learn the sculpting fundamentals but it's not much use in a pipeline. You'd be better off using sculptris and combine with 3D Coat. A shame, ZBrush is so costly to
Newcomers as it really is so powerful particularly dynamesh sculpting texturing, remeshing and import export functions. I haven't experienced the frustrations with manual
Retopo as others have and quite like it - quirky and odd workflow involving creating a zsphere. Agree Maya is really good for drawing polys directly over a sculpted mesh. Just simple and fast.

eon5
07-15-2017, 03:24 AM
Buy it with 3dcoat student. Worth every penny.

Surrealist.
07-15-2017, 05:01 AM
I lean toward Zbrush. If you are serious at all about sculpting, I think you will want to learn the zbrush workflow. . I think it is a good investment as a student because you learn Zbrush. Rather than invest in 3D Coat and Core. How about just get the student full version of Zbrush?

jperk
07-15-2017, 10:23 AM
How much is the upgrade to commercial/ or full version of Zbrush from the student version and Core version?

Exclaim
07-15-2017, 10:58 AM
How much is the upgrade to commercial/ or full version of Zbrush from the student version and Core version?

Pixologic support says it gives 50% off to upgrade to commercial from student. $100 off for core upgrade to Zbrush commercial.

https://store.pixologic.com/zbrush-4r8/academic-and-educational-license/

OlaHaldor
07-15-2017, 11:15 AM
As far as I know, there is no Zbrush Core student license. It's just Zbrush Core. Right? It's $149.
So in that case.. You'll most likely have to pay the full price of the upgrade, no ?

ZBrushCore users may upgrade to ZBrush 4R8 and receive a USD $100 discount off the purchase price. (Your cost will be USD $695.)

Exclaim
07-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Yeah no zbrushcore academic license. Another option could be to just skip core and purchase from a reseller like novedge.com. It will still be a significant cost though.

Surrealist.
07-15-2017, 09:51 PM
But there is an educational version of the full Zbrush worth considering. Not sure if that got lost in the shuffle.

samurai_x
07-16-2017, 05:02 AM
For $458 for the zb educational version I would pass.
Add 3dcoat instead as it does 3 out of 4 things you need to make modern quallity models - uvmapping, auto/manual retopo, pbr painting.
Zbrushcore has the most essential tools for $150. Subdivision sculpting, dynamesh are basically the two major things zbrush is good at. ZbCore has it.
Btw if you watch one of the NaughtyDog zbartist that worked on Uncharted, he uses less 10 brushes 90% of the time. The only thing you need is the skill to draw.

paulk
07-16-2017, 05:20 AM
What about Sculptris? How does that compare to Zbrushcore? Plus, it's free.

Surrealist.
07-16-2017, 07:07 AM
I think it comes down to not price. But what workflow you are investing in. I also agree about brushes. You don't need that many. So core could work. But my recommendation is still full version student.

jperk
07-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Sculptris and Zbrush CORE don't support FBX. Only obj really.

Surrealist.
07-16-2017, 11:11 AM
I am usually using obj. Sculps in my studio wind up being so large that we have to beak them up into parts for export anyway. I think there would probably be advantages to fbx in some situations but for normal sculpting workflow obj should be fine. :)

jperk
07-16-2017, 11:38 AM
The lack of retopo tools in ZBCORE is definitely a con for me. Does blender offer retopo tools? Or is there a plugin for LW that supports such?

Surrealist.
07-16-2017, 12:06 PM
There is an addon that you can buy for Blender. Pretty good.

https://blendermarket.com/products/retopoflow/

I have not used it. But I bought it for one of my artists. And he wound up preferring Maya. I agreed. So that is there that went.

But you can also use the shrink wrap modifier in Blender. One of my artists is using that right now on an object. Working out pretty good.

You are a student. Maya has the best retopo tools around. And it is free for you. Next to that might be Modo Indie which would be a great companion for LW.

JCG
07-16-2017, 02:07 PM
TrueArt also has a retopo plugin for LW
http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasyRetopology

and also
http://hurleyworks.com/wordpress/portfolio/remodeler/

samurai_x
07-17-2017, 12:33 AM
The lack of retopo tools in ZBCORE is definitely a con for me. Does blender offer retopo tools? Or is there a plugin for LW that supports such?

Retopo tools in zbrush is clumsy anyway. So zbcore isn't missing much there.
3dcoat and topogun are the best, next is maya and modo retopo.

sadkkf
07-17-2017, 11:57 AM
With ZBrush, you buy it once and own it for life. Upgrades are free so the $800US up front is costly, but well worth it after a couple of years.

There are a lot of rumors floating around ZBrush 5 won't be a free upgrade, but those are completely unsubstantiated.

Surrealist.
07-17-2017, 06:14 PM
Zbrush is hands down the best at sculpting. Should not go without warning. It can be a veey hard app to learn. But don't let that stop you. I would suggest a trial and take some time with it first.

hrgiger
07-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Even if Zbrush 5 costs money. whatever it would be, I would pay it.

samurai_x
07-17-2017, 08:02 PM
With ZBrush, you buy it once and own it for life. Upgrades are free so the $800US up front is costly, but well worth it after a couple of years.

There are a lot of rumors floating around ZBrush 5 won't be a free upgrade, but those are completely unsubstantiated.

Spent less than $200 on 3dcoat from ver 2 to 4 and still get free updates. Unlimited computer activations. Bang for the buck.

Spent $600 on zb 3 and still get updates free. Its worth it.

Bought zbcore because pixo only allows 2 license activations for zb. So its an affordable way to access subd sculpting and dynamesh. The price is a very good deal.

Surrealist.
07-17-2017, 08:53 PM
Yep. Thinking about picking up a copy for the same reason.