PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe? :) Camstudio still containing adware

prometheus
07-08-2017, 08:36 PM
There is a lot of warnings about using free Camstudio, since it in some versions has bundled adware, and many antivirus report it to be malicious, but then again the authors themself says they have tested it and not reported any malware, and if
there were it is probably false warnings, and that is ofcourse not unheard of for other software as well, I recently installed lightwave and mcafee removed the goz bridge plugin directly in to quarantine..but as I believe that was a false action.

But what do you guys think...do you believe Camstudio to this date actually is clean and itīs simply the antivirus programs that warns false, or may it contain malicious malware..

XswampyX
07-09-2017, 01:21 AM
Notice Regarding Malware:
The downloads from camstudio.org are known to contain malware.
All downloads from SourceForge are virus scanned. As of this writing there is no malware on the SourceForge downloads for CamStudio.

Get it here :- https://sourceforge.net/projects/camstudio/

rustythe1
07-09-2017, 05:13 AM
the original author left the project years ago, since then it has been known to have code actually embedded in itself and not just bundled, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CamStudio
as you can see by the wikki history since it changed hands around 2014 it has had a very colourful history and they provided no evidence to support claims, and 55 virus softwares pick up Trojans, even embedded in the sourceforge cnet downloads, as its embedded directly in the code they cant scan that deep. I would steer clear of all Camtasia / camstudio as there is a considerable amount of uncertainty

clintonman
07-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Just tested the sourceforge download and it had no tricks or extra installs. I actually tried on a virtual machine first just in case. downloaded filename is CamStudio_Setup_2-7_r316.exe

prometheus
07-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Just tested the sourceforge download and it had no tricks or extra installs. I actually tried on a virtual machine first just in case. downloaded filename is CamStudio_Setup_2-7_r316.exe

Thanks...I might actually go for that one on sourceforge...
Editet...dowloaded and the rescanned with avast, no warnings...that doesnīt ofcourse mean itīs perfectly safe, but I will go with that.

probiner
07-09-2017, 12:17 PM
just use OBS

rustythe1
07-09-2017, 01:20 PM
is no one reading the links or reading what I write???? the Trojans are not packaged with it, they are buried directly in the code of the app itself!! after removing the wrapper it no longer picks up with most scanners as you directly give it permission to install, I cant believe you would install software that has a bad reputation and are unsure about, especially when you are concerned about the stability of other software,
and by the way, if you want to record your desktop you can do it at full res 60Fps with your nvida card!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czGFyXd8kfo

prometheus
07-09-2017, 02:11 PM
is no one reading the links or reading what I write???? the Trojans are not packaged with it, they are buried directly in the code of the app itself!! after removing the wrapper it no longer picks up with most scanners as you directly give it permission to install, I cant believe you would install software that has a bad reputation and are unsure about, especially when you are concerned about the stability of other software,
and by the way, if you want to record your desktop you can do it at full res 60Fps with your nvida card!

I hear you, havenīt installed yet, still looking out for responses like yours, ok...so the software is by design in itīs code made as malware with a built in trojan that starts to download other malicious viruses etc?

Thanks for the tips on the nvidia shadow play, I installed gforce experience, but there is not such thing as shadowplay, I also noticed that some people complained about that being changed, however, I could find a recording option inside it anyway, ...but not easy to acess for a noobie, will see how easy I can turn it on and off etc, how the recordings will be etc and it it works with my senheiser mic, I would also like to have the cursor marked with some options, will see..but it may actually be able to record smoother without interfering with rendering etc..not sure about that, but I got a good smooth recording anyway.

I noticed that it recorded directly to mp4, but also compressed to be a bit blurry, earlier in my recordings, they were not that blurry since they are initially stored as uncompressed avi.

prometheus
07-09-2017, 02:26 PM
sound is working ..might record something tonight, though I rarely speak english nowadays..I simply havenīt got any need for it and havenīt had anyone else english speaking to speak to, so keep that in mind, first Out I think will be a little showcase of lightwave 2015 VPR and how that works with the compositing foreground image and background image to composit in a spaceship behind some cloud parts but still in front to some others, that is working in VPR in 2015.3 ...and I donīt think it worked in 11.63 in the VPR.

probiner
07-09-2017, 02:45 PM

Unless you want to crop, then you have to use OBS that also uses GPU, althought not as snappy as shadowplay it's still viable.

prometheus
07-09-2017, 06:18 PM

Thanks for that tip, first recording is made..under lw community.