PDA

View Full Version : Current Rigging Concepts

Ryan Roye
07-08-2017, 02:26 AM
What's new about rigging in Lightwave? Practically everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8inACs4L0xo

Get it while we're still running the sale ;)

http://www.liberty3d.com/current-rigging-concepts-for-lightwave/

TheLexx
07-08-2017, 04:00 AM
Is there a painless workflow for transferring character bones and weight maps between characters, for example from a big fat guy to a petite woman (please don't read too much into that :)) ? Would it be covered here ? Much appreciate your efforts Ryan and may have to take the plunge sooner than later.

kei_ch
07-08-2017, 07:28 AM
very interesting!
from what version of LW does this tutorial work ?
I've owned all the plugins required but can't find any direction abaout LW version.

Ryan Roye
07-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Is there a painless workflow for transferring character bones and weight maps between characters, for example from a big fat guy to a petite woman (please don't read too much into that :)) ? Would it be covered here ? Much appreciate your efforts Ryan and may have to take the plunge sooner than later.

My workflow does away with the concept of bone rest length and allows you to just scale them directly in layout to fit them to characters, so there is no reason to ever use modeler's skelegons as a result. For example, now you can just scale the character's upper leg bone to make it longer (the children will be placed properly). Furthermore, my workflow emphasizes the use of toggleable constraints, so unlike the average setup, the one I demonstrate doesn't end up getting in the way of adjustments after completion.

The topic of transferring a rig to a new character isn't directly covered yet, but I plan to add a few miscellaneous (free) chapters on top of what is already included when I get some time, which I'll post on youtube.

from what version of LW does this tutorial work ?
I've owned all the plugins required but can't find any direction abaout LW version.

If you are a windows user versopm 2015.1. Version 11.6 for mac users. This is due to some of the python SDK adjustments that were made in-between that time; some of which made a big chunk of important functions work for mac users.

kei_ch
07-08-2017, 09:30 AM
If you are a windows user versopm 2015.1. Version 11.6 for mac users. This is due to some of the python SDK adjustments that were made in-between that time; some of which made a big chunk of important functions work for mac users.

thanks!
it looks like mac version has big changes among Ver. 2015 and 11.6 right?
I'm a windows user and RR Tools pro is compatible with Ver. 11.6.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

...and I have one more question.
When it comes to animating, the rig in this tutorial needs to use baking keyframes ?

Ryan Roye
07-08-2017, 09:37 AM
When it comes to animating, the rig in this tutorial needs to use baking keyframes ?

For IK, no. The auto ik tool can simply be applied at frame 0 and you won't need to worry about baking the feet or hands like in the past. It works for whatever 3 joint limbs you throw at the character.

However, if you plan on using the IKBooster and auto IK setups together (which I recommend), the tool preserves the IK animation it creates by baking keyframes when toggled off, allowing you to go back to IKBooster controls. My workflow no longer involves directly baking bones with IKBooster, that has been made obsolete by my IK tool.

kei_ch
07-08-2017, 09:58 AM
I really like IKbooster manipulation because it's so intuitive and it gives me a big advantage of making poses as I imagined.
Only baking process bothers me when I try to change timing of the animation. I just can't use key frame slider once baking is completed...

And allow me to ask again...
I'm currently using Windows LW and its version is 11.6.
Am I good to go whit this tutorial?

thank you!

Ryan Roye
07-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Am I good to go whit this tutorial?

Yes. Again windows users only need 11.6. Mac users will need 2015.1+

djwaterman
07-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Are you using 3rd Powers weight painting in this video? if so is that necessary to follow the tutorials?

Edit

Okay, answered when I clicked the link

kei_ch
07-08-2017, 09:31 PM
just bought it!
Also, I've upgraded RR Tools (I owned previous version of RR_Tools_Pro so I've got a coupon code ;)
But...surprised! you included all of the latest RR Tools in this content.
I should have checked the first chapter of this tutorial before I bought latest RR tools through the store.
Or...maybe it's my bad. It's due to my carelessness lol

Spinland
07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Nabbed it, and very much looking forward to leveraging more of your wisdom, RR. I have a multi-episode commercial gig kicking off this week featuring an animated superhero character and that feels like just the ticket to groove your stuff. :jam:

Kryslin
07-10-2017, 12:13 AM
I grabbed it, too. While I tend to stick to certain ways of doing things, it's nice to know other ways of doing things.

kei_ch
07-10-2017, 01:37 AM
I'm on the half way of this tutorial and played with contents scene files to see how to use the rig that you explain in the video.

The combination of Auto IK and IKBooster is great.
Now I can move CoG without feet sliding.

However, when I tried to create the motion which we can see at the very beginning of the Youtube video above this thread, well...I'm confusing.

While the guy takes a step forward, his foot is bended as the ball of the foot contacts the ground to produce a power for moving forward.
My Question is very simple : How to achieve this foot step motion?

Auto IK with IKBooster gives me a very handy, intuitive manipulation but I can only rotate ankle with this controller.

Ryan, are you going to make an extra tutorial that reveals practical usuage of Auto IK ?

thanks.

Ryan Roye
07-10-2017, 05:51 AM
While the guy takes a step forward, his foot is bended as the ball of the foot contacts the ground to produce a power for moving forward.
My Question is very simple : How to achieve this foot step motion?

I just key the goals then the toes, there isn't much to the process. You can use the rotateaverage tool on the toe bones if you want that "toe-peel" control you see in fancier rigs, but I don't prefer that route as it leaves you with another controller you have to worry about that doesn't move with the rest of your rig. That reminds me... I need to make the tool use the alternate keyframe method if it detects items controlled by IK.

Ryan, are you going to make an extra tutorial that reveals practical usuage of Auto IK ?

For the moment, I have no plans to make another animation tutorial for a little while. I do want to cover some extra things with the rigging content though in the near future.

kei_ch
07-10-2017, 08:13 AM
I just key the goals then the toes, there isn't much to the process. You can use the rotateaverage tool on the toe bones if you want that "toe-peel" control you see in fancier rigs, but I don't prefer that route as it leaves you with another controller you have to worry about that doesn't move with the rest of your rig. That reminds me... I need to make the tool use the alternate keyframe method if it detects items controlled by IK.

thanks for reply.
So...when you create walk animation using your Auto IK, do you key the goals in IKBooster mode?
If you do so, how do you deal with TCB interpolation?
I usually start my walk animation with contact pose which is the moment heel touches the ground.
Then, I want to rotate foot on the pivot(=heel).

However, this method ends up with inevitable TCB interpolation and seems impossible to get rid of this.
I understand that IKBooster is part time IK which means technically FK. So baking is required to fix something in a same spot between poses.
But you said you no longer need to use IKBooster's baking function thanks to your Auto IK.

I'm just confusing...
I hope you will show us how to make walk animation using your rig.

ernesttx
07-10-2017, 08:49 AM
Ryan, it states on liberty website that "registration is currently down". When will it be back up to create an account and buy this??

Ryan Roye
07-10-2017, 08:50 AM
So...when you create walk animation using your Auto IK, do you key the goals in IKBooster mode?
Yes, though you don't have to.

If you do so, how do you deal with TCB interpolation?
I don't need to.

I usually start my walk animation with contact pose which is the moment heel touches the ground.
Then, I want to rotate foot on the pivot(=heel)

Its possible to get this effect without relying on IKBooster or TCB curves, the goal just needs to be parented to a null that's placed at the heel. The problem with a heel controller though is that it requires you to manage an additional item at all times; it is a design decision that I don't agree with nor do I recommend.

However, this method ends up with inevitable TCB interpolation and seems impossible to get rid of this.

With standard keyframing it isn't needed. I will say that my setups are not designed to reduce the number of keyframes users create, they are designed to make keyframing as effortless as possible. So, while my IK limbs rely on an "FK" foot roll, or heel pivot, or toe pivot, the user only ever has to worry about 1 singular controller rather than 3-5 that all have their own separate keyframe spaces. It is a design I have no plans to change.

Ryan Roye
07-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Ryan, it states on liberty website that "registration is currently down". When will it be back up to create an account and buy this??

Registration is not required to purchase from L3D.

jwiede
07-10-2017, 10:20 AM
If you are a windows user versopm 2015.1. Version 11.6 for mac users.

Yes. Again windows users only need 11.6. Mac users will need 2015.1+

Not sure you realized you actually said both above. Is the latter correct, or is the former? Guessing the latter.

Ryan Roye
07-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Not sure you realized you actually said both above. Is the latter correct, or is the former? Guessing the latter.

Sorry. Mac users need version 2015 of Lightwave to use my plugins. Windows users only need 11.6+

kei_ch
07-10-2017, 09:31 PM
just to clarify, I prefer your style rather than struggling with tons of controllers.
I want rig to be simple as possible.
What I focus on the most is intuitiveness and easiness to change timing.

So, while my IK limbs rely on an "FK" foot roll, or heel pivot, or toe pivot, the user only ever has to worry about 1 singular controller rather than 3-5 that all have their own separate keyframe spaces.

So, I'm really interested in your method.
I don't want to add any other controller on the heel, ball of the foot and toe tip.
But still...sorry, I don't understand why you don't need to deal with TCB interpolation.
I remember that you don't like to use graph editor when doing character animation.
I assume you set keyframes to the foot goals every single frame while the foot contact the ground. Is it correct?
As long as I key CoG and foot goals, I got foot sliding issues every time.
Even doing squats motion, which means each feet doesn't move at all, I got foot sliding unless I stop setting keyframe to foot goals and CoG at the same keyframe.

Ryan Roye
07-11-2017, 06:53 AM
Even doing squats motion, which means each feet doesn't move at all, I got foot sliding unless I stop setting keyframe to foot goals and CoG at the same keyframe.

Hmm, I think I may know what you are running into. You aren't using the "All Item" keyframe mode setting in IKBooster are you? Or, are you keying all items in a scene?

I noticed in my auto IK tool that I forgot to place a holding key, meaning if the user is in All Item keyframe mode, the falloff control will trigger some unwanted movement. This is something I need to adjust.

kei_ch
07-11-2017, 09:08 AM
Hmm, I think I may know what you are running into. You aren't using the "All Item" keyframe mode setting in IKBooster are you? Or, are you keying all items in a scene?

I noticed in my auto IK tool that I forgot to place a holding key, meaning if the user is in All Item keyframe mode, the falloff control will trigger some unwanted movement. This is something I need to adjust.

Oh, I always use "All Item" keyframe mode setting in IKBooster because I prefer keying all items if it's key pose.
After reading your post, I used "current item" keyframe mode setting and it works as I expected. Maybe... I got the idea...
Still, I get foot sliding when making walk animation but it happens regardless of IKbooster turning on and off.
I know it's inevitable as long as keying under TCB interpolation mode.
I hope I can change interpolation from TCB to linear or step in IKBooster like usual mode, which means when IKBooster turned off, allows users to change that.

Ryan Roye
07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Still, I get foot sliding when making walk animation but it happens regardless of IKbooster turning on and off.

Would you mind sending me a scene file that demonstrates this issue so I can take a look at it?

- - - Updated - - -

For those who have purchased this content, please check your e-mails. I've included a video on grabber as well as a slight update to the RR Tools that correct a couple of minor issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwW4-Jea0Zo

kei_ch
07-12-2017, 08:09 AM
Would you mind sending me a scene file that demonstrates this issue so I can take a look at it?

NO, not at all!
I've just sent you my scene files.
Thank you so much!

mataori
07-17-2017, 02:35 AM
What has become of the issue?
If you don't mind,can you tell us?

kei_ch
07-17-2017, 06:07 AM
Ryan gave me a nice tip to eliminate unnecessary TCB interpolation (this is what I said " foot sliding issue")
The idea is setting "holding keyframes" at where you want your item to stuck in a place.
Let's say you want to hold foot controller from 10 to 20 frame.
Even if you applied exactly the same pose at frame10 and frame20, TCB curve interpolates frame11-19 and this causes wobbling movement of foot controller.
To eliminate that, you set the same pose as frame10 to frame11 then set also frame19.
These (again, frame11 and 19) are "holding keyframes".

By using this technique, you don't have to go through graph editor to fix the item in a place.

However, I still in a trouble.
I cannot fix toe... still get wobbling movement.
IKBooster's fix command, baking and bind motion...I tried all stuffs that I came up with but still get that problem.
I need some time to solve it...

mataori
07-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Thanks kei_ch.
And l also want to know stable heal-to-toe movement by Ikbooster.

kei_ch
07-18-2017, 08:25 AM
https://youtu.be/RQfhRl7ELyw

I've just uploaded video that shows how I tried to achieve stable heal-to-toe movement in IKBooster.
I followed Ryan's advice : just key goals then toes.
But, as you can see. I still got wobbling result.

allow me to ask you again, Ryan.
How do you achieve stable, believable heal-to-toe movement?

Ryan Roye
07-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Ideally you'd just keyframe the wobble out, there's nothing wrong with that. Or better yet, reduce your fps temporarily so that you have fewer keyframes to manage.

However if you really want a setup that attempts to solve interpolation for you, a full-time toe/heel setup is easy enough. See video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A3DDhoFh_A

I Strongly recommend against this setup though, because you suddenly have many more controllers to manage and it becomes increasingly confusing when you have to keep track of which controllers are performing what movements. It will not save you time or effort in the animation process.

kei_ch
07-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Thank you Ryan for uploading video.
I followed your instruction and easily got the same result.
I got used to using this type of rig and... yes, like you said, it brings me more controllers that I have to manage.

Ideally you'd just keyframe the wobble out, there's nothing wrong with that. Or better yet, reduce your fps temporarily so that you have fewer keyframes to manage.
I'm very sorry but I don't understand yet...
By saying keyframe the wobble out, do you mean that I have to set keyframes to toe as needed in order to kill wobbling movement?
If so, I reduced fps by half then tried manipulating toe and goal as needed (which means I had to set keyframes almost every single frame) so that toe bone looks stable.
Here's what I got so far.

https://youtu.be/JYpJwBy1CAk
hope I followed your advice correctly...

Kevbarnes
07-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Hi Kei_ch

Try this :-

Select two joints on Left foot ankle, Fix them both, then bake (Current items) over the frames that the heel rises. - this will fix left foot.

Select two joints on Right foot Toe, Fix them both, then bake (Current items) over the frames that the heel rises. - this will fix Right foot toe.

No need for binding

kei_ch
07-26-2017, 03:34 AM
Thank you for advice, Kevbarnes :)
To be honest, I've already tried that.
Baking joints works if we don't use full time IK.
But in this case, yes, we have IK limbs.
Since foot bones are controlled by IK Goal, IKBooster's fix command doesn't work as we expected.

For now, my conclusion is making holding keyframes appropriately when I get unwanted wobbling movement.

Anyway, thank you for your advice.
Any feedback or comments are welcomed !