PDA

View Full Version : Support For 640 X 480 Cam input

rzick
12-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Quick Question,

Will T3 support a DV input coming from a camera that captures in 640 x 480 (VGA) resolution? Or will the T3 ignore the signal? I know it can handle various resolution images and animations in the DDR and Toaster Edit, but what about as a live source?

Robert Zick
WTBTS

Paul Lara
12-19-2003, 10:37 AM
I've not tried it, but I would assume as long as it's a legal video signal, it will up-rez it to NTSC / PAL resolution and play it out.

rzick
12-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Dear Paul,

Hmm...Well, Windows is able to see the firewire camera input and display a video image, but it doesn't want to show up inside of Toaster on the switcher panel. I'm having our technician re-install the software (we had some other drive problems anyway). Perhaps after that I'll see a change.

I wonder if there is anyone out there that could do a similar test?

SBowie
12-24-2003, 11:24 AM
You do see standard DV res in T[3], right? Just not this odd resolution? Or is it that neither appears?

rzick
12-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, if you mean do I see other DV inputs, Yes. Other DV sources, such as my regular DV NTSC camera, can be seen in T3. However, when I plug in the firewire connection from my 640 x 480 resolution camera (Unibrain), nothing appears in T3, although the camera and video image is visible inside of windows Explorer.

Paul Lara
12-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by rzick
However, when I plug in the firewire connection from my 640 x 480 resolution camera...

Are you sure this is firewire, and not a USB source?
Most web cams are USB.

djlithium
12-27-2003, 07:48 PM
I have tried this with a few firewire cameras recently. The problem with these cameras is that they are depending on third party applications that will see them but don't really use directshow.

As a result, you can't get any of these types of cameras to work with OEM drivers in most cases. You would need something third party. Or better yet a real DV camera with Firewire.

Paul Lara
12-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Ah, thanks for the clarifiation Kel.