PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Modeling Challenge #287 The Train Car

NeonZ
07-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Updated Rules (We're trying something new for July):

1. Every month there will be a subject for you to model.
2. Although this is a LightWave forum, you can use any modeling tool for this challenge. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
3. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For Lightwave wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread.
5. Include the following information in your post: Modeling Tool, approximate modeling time, and 3rd Party plug-ins used
6. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the modeling time.
*7. A "winner" will be more challenging to to pick with these updated rules, so we'll have to see how it goes.
8. Have fun! This is a community event designed to encourage you to keep modeling. Whether you're a new LightWave artist or a seasoned professional, or working with another modeling package altogether, working with these tools is the only way to get better.

This Challenge Topic: The Train Car

Description: Model an object that represents any type of train car you might see on the railroad tracks.

Modeling Time: Up to you!

Challenge Ends: ~Noon Pacific - July 30, 2017

*Winning entry announced: ~Noon Pacific - July 31 (so check back)

Challenge #288 will start on or around August 1.

Surrealist.
07-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Brilliant! Seeing how this was inspired by some of my ideas....lol. I guess I have to enter...;)

OK, I will. I will. :)

Thanks for taking this on!

PS: By the way are we including rollercoasters on this? Or stick to traditional train tracks and cars (modern or old of course).

Gabcsi
07-08-2017, 01:47 AM
Updated Rules (We're trying something new for July):

2. Although this is a LightWave forum, you can use any modeling tool for this challenge. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.

Only plug-ins are allowed, or can we use other modeling softwares (Maya, etc) also?

Surrealist.
07-08-2017, 01:54 AM
It is my understanding you can model with anything. I imagine even do some of it in Zbrush. :)

NeonZ
07-27-2017, 01:17 PM
yep, we're opening this up to additional modeling tools and see how it goes. Some of use may not have access to other tools and it would be nice to see what other modeling packages can do.

Morgan Nilsson
07-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Just discovered this, just what I needed as I once again is trying to get into Lightwave, though I might wait for the August version since the time is almost up.

Surrealist.
07-27-2017, 04:07 PM
and here this has been the busiest month for me in a while....grrr

Surrealist.
07-30-2017, 03:07 PM
Have to post something. Got started on a train wheel -of my own on the fly design. So busy this month!

NeonZ
07-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Modeling Tool: LightWave 2015.3
Time: ~60 minutes

Didn't have a lot of time this month!

- - - Updated - - -

Nice wheel, Richard! Same here regarding time. Vacation didn't help either.

Surrealist.
07-31-2017, 11:59 AM
I have an idea. How about if we keep the same topic and continue one more month?

Then we can invite some of the interest so far. And inspire along with WIP. I would really like to participate in something that shares the modeling process. And work on something significant and not be rushed.

Here I have done something different. Normally I don't work this way. What I wanted to do here was just start sketching something from my imagination. And on the airplane today I thought of the idea of a train that can also take off like a jet or rocket or something.

(modeling in Blender)

I started sketching out proportions and my general shape lines with edges and now I will fill them in with more concrete ideas as I go.

lol... and I now realize I have to lower those front wheels. :)

ConjureBunny
07-31-2017, 01:53 PM
So... we doing this one for another month or no?

I'm fine with it either way, I just want to know before I go spending any time on a model :D

-Chilton

Surrealist.
07-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Logic would suggest that since there are no entries that qualify to win, and we are past the deadline, it will be extended. :)

NeonZ
08-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Yes, you would win. Nice work, btw! And this can be extended through August 30! We're trying to find a format that works for the community, so hopefully this can provide more opportunity for others to jump in on this. And it means I can continue working on my tanker car!

Surrealist.
08-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Cool. Sounds like a plan. :)

PS: And thanks. :)

Surrealist.
08-03-2017, 10:55 PM
In the interest of keeping things flowing. I do have an update, however small.

NeonZ
09-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks for posting work's in progress, Surrealist! Looks like no one else contributed anything to the July/August modeling event. Do you want to post a topic for September/October? If so, copy/paste the same format from above and post it with a new topic to model.

gerry_g
09-12-2017, 06:17 AM
thought about it but have modelled two carriages (cars) in past couple of years and around five wagons, besides these are better hard modelled not subpached

Surrealist.
09-12-2017, 08:10 AM
OK. I will try to do my best to drag this thing out of the ashes. Give me a couple of days to prepare.