PDA

View Full Version : Recommended installation folder for Lightwave 2015 on windows 8

prometheus
07-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Just got me a new machine..
So what do you guys recommend, or is recommended by the lightwave group..just taking a chance of getting a fast track answer withut checking the docs :hey:

Lightwave installation path on windows 10?

Greenlaw
07-04-2017, 04:59 PM
I just use the default location as suggested by the Installer. IMO, LightWave is easier to manage this way since everything is placed more or less where LightWave expects it to be. Same with any render controllers you may be using. You can customize where you want LightWave to look, of course, but unless you have a special reason to do this, why bother?

Plugins should go where 1.) they can be easily managed and updated, and 2.) where LightWave and your render controller can easily find them. I like to create a folder called Plugins right inside the LightWave folder. This folder is strictly for third-party stuff--the native stuff can stay in its own plugins folder.

I used to keep Plugins in a 'common' folder outside of the LightWave folder but inside the NewTek folder. I stopped doing this because some versions of LightWave need specific versions of plugins to work properly (some DP plugins, for example.) Now I just keep separate folders inside of each version of LightWave. Even though I'm duplicating many plugin files for each LightWave, I think it's just easier to manage this way.

Naturally, you don't have to set it up this way. This is just what works for me and my home network. I hate dealing with IT stuff so I prefer to keep things simple.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Same with config files. I just use the native location.

prometheus
07-04-2017, 05:43 PM
I just use the default location as suggested by the Installer. IMO, LightWave is easier to manage this way since everything is placed more or less where LightWave expects it to be. Same with any render controllers you may be using. You can customize where you want LightWave to look, of course, but unless you have a special reason to do this, why bother?

Plugins should go where 1.) they can be easily managed and updated, and 2.) where LightWave and your render controller can easily find them. I like to create a folder called Plugins right inside the LightWave folder. This folder is strictly for third-party stuff--the native stuff can stay in its own plugins folder.

I used to keep Plugins in a 'common' folder outside of the LightWave folder but inside the NewTek folder. I stopped doing this because some versions of LightWave need specific versions of plugins to work properly (some DP plugins, for example.) Now I just keep separate folders inside of each version of LightWave. Even though I'm duplicating many plugin files for each LightWave, I think it's just easier to manage this way.

Naturally, you don't have to set it up this way. This is just what works for me and my home network. I hate dealing with IT stuff so I prefer to keep things simple.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Same with config files. I just use the native location.

Thanks..weird, I thought I read somewhere that the installation should not be where the installer suggests, then again..that makes little sense :)
as for plugins, I have always created a third party plugin folder, inside the main folder, so that path is like for a 32 bit installation..my plugs goes in to...
C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave11.6.3\support\plugins\Third party

But thanks for the heads up on dpont plugins, not sure it is good to have them in that path mentioned above? I have had a lot of crashes with lw 2015.3 so some things could be related to that perhaps, though it has worked fine for 11.6.3

TreyX
07-04-2017, 07:03 PM
default installation path on Win 10 (c:/Program Files/...). That's if you're 64 bit. I assume you are, as 32bit is not professionally workable. If you are 32bit, then c:/Program Files (x86). Will automatically create a NewTek folder, and contain the app in there....

prometheus
07-04-2017, 07:50 PM
default installation path on Win 10 (c:/Program Files/...). That's if you're 64 bit. I assume you are, as 32bit is not professionally workable. If you are 32bit, then c:/Program Files (x86). Will automatically create a NewTek folder, and contain the app in there....

well..iīve been installing lightwave since Lightwave 9.6 , so in essence I really know that you simply install as suggested..though I heard some other suggestions, but it may have been something else.

As far as 32 bit, you say not professionally workable? so how do you work with plugins that are not 64 bit, and that is a lot...not using them?

I would say preferably install both, and use modeler mostly in 32 bit mode, unless very dense geometry is required for some things, but otherwise 32 bit modeler has so many plugins you canīt skip.

prometheus
07-04-2017, 08:02 PM
One thing that bothers me...I do not know which antivirus to count on, I have almost always run avast free solution, and avoided norton and mcafee, mcaffe especially since they had an update that viped out the hard drive...not for me, but there was reports on that some years ago, since then I really donīt trust mcafee.

Now..with windows comes mcafee, I did install avast but avast itself deactivated the realtime protection since it could recognize macafee..so to avoid conflict it did just that for the realtime protection.
But...now when installing lightwave, mcafee immediately put the goz bridge in to the quarantine regognized as a Trojan, so not sure what to do about that, try to restore it from quarantine, or uninstall lightwave and remove mcafee and install lightwave again?
and then let avast deal with the realtime protection instead.

Greenlaw
07-05-2017, 12:28 AM
I use Windows Defender, which is native to Windows 10. Defender is actually rated very well these days, and should be reasonably secure if you don't frequent questionable websites and don't use cracked software. Opinions may vary of course but the native checker has kept my network virus free ever since we switched to Windows 10 (now over two years ago I guess.)

TBH, I got tired of all the ads and notifications that popped up with most third party virus checkers (like Avast,) and some of them got so aggressive they prevented legitimate software from running properly (again, Avast comes to mind.) When I switched to Windows 10, I decided to give Defender a chance, and so far it's been fine for me. The only time it notifies me is about once a week and that's to tell me my system is still clean. (Knock wood.)

Somewhat related: I've been reading that you shouldn't use registry cleaners, like the one in CCleaner, with Windows 10. Over time, Windows 10 is supposed to take care the registry by itself, and registry cleaners are more likely to damage your OS. I sometimes still use other parts of CCleaner though.

Greenlaw
07-05-2017, 12:40 AM
...C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTek\LightWave11.6.3\support\plugins\Third party

But thanks for the heads up on dpont plugins, not sure it is good to have them in that path mentioned above?
That's where I used to keep my plugins but these days I prefer this location:

C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015.3\plugins

It's a shorter path, so easier to get to. I also find it easier for keeping the third-party stuff separate from the native stuff too. You just need to remember to scan it in addition to the native plugins directory if you ever need to rebuild your configs.

Functionally speaking, it really doesn't matter.

rustythe1
07-05-2017, 02:38 AM
the windows one is far better to use, all the others just up adding problems especially now most software uses online resources, and from experience defender has caught just about everything in time, I even had it catch one of those ransomware lockers where as the only other thing that ive seen have any luck with those was maleware bytes, I would remove all the others as the windows one has no reason to profit from you, where as all the other companies are out to make money off you in some form or another, most companies I had worked for in my previous job had all switched over from paid to essentials back in vista and 7, now its just bundled and they have done even more work on it for 10, if your doing 3d work you want your OS to be as sparse as possible, I regularly edit startup aps to get the least amount running as possible as so many softwares nowadays constantly run update checkers etc when not even running,
so the best set up is just run defender, and have malewarebytes on a usb stick in the very unlikely event you get one it cant handle, but in the last 8 years I think Ive only had 2 viruses cause any problems

prometheus
07-05-2017, 08:20 AM
I use Windows Defender, which is native to Windows 10. Defender is actually rated very well these days, and should be reasonably secure if you don't frequent questionable websites and don't use cracked software. Opinions may vary of course but the native checker has kept my network virus free ever since we switched to Windows 10 (now over two years ago I guess.)

TBH, I got tired of all the ads and notifications that popped up with most third party virus checkers (like Avast,) and some of them got so aggressive they prevented legitimate software from running properly (again, Avast comes to mind.) When I switched to Windows 10, I decided to give Defender a chance, and so far it's been fine for me. The only time it notifies me is about once a week and that's to tell me my system is still clean. (Knock wood.)

Somewhat related: I've been reading that you shouldn't use registry cleaners, like the one in CCleaner, with Windows 10. Over time, Windows 10 is supposed to take care the registry by itself, and registry cleaners are more likely to damage your OS. I sometimes still use other parts of CCleaner though.

thanks for those advices..
windows registry cleaners I havenīt used for over 10 years, knowing that they often screw up the system making it hard to reboot.
as for avast, I liked avast some years ago..and just as you I have been annoyed with the pop up ads ..and the interface actually got worse..they had a version some time ago that was quite good.
and as you say..it warns for legitimate files as well, maybe most antivirus does.

so not sure why windows comes with windows defender And mcafee? I suspect mcafee has additional spyware control and where windows defender is more basic?
I think I will remove mcafee anyway, cause right now thereīs three antivirus installed though avast has automaticly turned off the realtime projection...I think I will go with defender and avast only, until I get tired of the pop up ads within avast.

Thanks Greenlaw...oh..I worked a couple of hours with the new asus g20 rog, and Lighwave 2015.3 32 bit, and no crashes...and that was when doing some operations swithcing between vpr and final rendering and also reloading recent scenes that usually caused crashes..so with a bit luck, my system may deal with it better and I may be able to actually work with 2015..which I simply couldnīt before.
vpr is updating very fast, also in non interpolated radiosity, with daz studio 4.9 it is now better and do not produce a ghost image of the content I had in my old computer, and the iray iteration when running is quite fast..though vpr is faster, one thing about iray is that it prepares the scene when switching it on or of in the viewport, before it could take 20-30 seconds, now itīs around 9-10 seconds...so itīs still a bit slow compared to how VPR works.

havenīt had a chance to try bullet sims or any kind of fluids or deformations and displacements yet..soon.

Greenlaw
07-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Sure, glad to help.

BTW, I don't think Windows comes with McAfee, not by default anyway. I've never seen McAfee installed on any of my machines anyway. My guess is that the additional third party virus protection came bundled with your computer from the manufacturer or reseller. I recall my older HP computers came with Norton but I just never activated it and eventually removed it.

Some third-party programs will install McAfee if you don't disable the option from the installer interface. Adobe Flash comes to mind.

Oh, and congrats on getting an new machine. Enjoy it! (Sigh! I really need a new computer.) :)

prometheus
07-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Sure, glad to help.

BTW, I don't think Windows comes with McAfee, not by default anyway. I've never seen McAfee installed on any of my machines anyway. My guess is that the additional third party virus protection came bundled with your computer from the manufacturer or reseller. I recall my older HP computers came with Norton but I just never activated it and eventually removed it.

Some third-party programs will install McAfee if you don't disable the option from the installer interface. Adobe Flash comes to mind.

Oh, and congrats on getting an new machine. Enjoy it! (Sigh! I really need a new computer.) :)

Well...there was an option when installing windows with mcafee, so maybe not by default, but I did uncheck it, but somehow that probably didnīt worked out, it was installed anyway...no other special installements, google chrome was added, then the next software was not lightwave but daz studio, then lightwave..so a lot more to install, fractron 9000 is also installed for some nice fractal artwork when neede, that fractron installment I had issues with both on my desktop and my laptop in the sense that I couldnīt change render resollution without the program crashing, testing it now with this new machine..that works so that is great if I need a much larger resolution image.
on the old machine...

https://vimeo.com/16141739

I still got to solve the issue of macafee sending the goz plug to the quarantine.
macafee also warns about camstudio to be a trojan.

rustythe1
07-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I would remove macaffe, it tracks your browser history, its bundled bloat/crapware that comes with a lot of prebuild windows 10 disk images and will warn you of many fake issues, it has also be known to try and get you to remove EDGE and go back to explorer (so you end up getting more viruses! don't use IE) it also will hog resources a lot more than defendor, you also have the malicious software removal tool that runs with most updates, there is also the built in smart screen filter, so you have 3 lines of protection running in windows 10, you don't need to waste more resources running other scanners

rustythe1
07-05-2017, 02:42 PM
and camstudio is known to contain Trojans, adware and bloatware, so its warning you with good reason, the original developer left somewhere around 2012 I think, since then its known to have some very suspect code as well as being bundled with trick bloatware (first question is "do you want to install?", then the next bloat is worded something like "do you "not" want to install?" )
http://botcrawl.com/camstudio/

Norka
07-05-2017, 04:02 PM
As much as many GPU-rendering folks out there would LOVE to have the bells & whistles in Win10, many (and I mean MANY) using Octane or other GPU renderers have either stuck with Win7x64Pro or downgraded back to it. Win10 eats a ridiculous amount of VRAM that Octaners etc are loath to part with, and there has been no indication that I have seen that MS is working to remedy this shortcoming of Win10. This is not for you Prometheus, since GPU rendering isn't your thing, but for others that may be considering Win10 (or 8), which I would advise against in a GPU workstation. Again, I'd love to have the dang thing, but Win7x64Pro is rock-solid and I get much more VRAM available for rendering. It comes down to a business decision.

prometheus
07-05-2017, 04:10 PM
As much as many GPU-rendering folks out there would LOVE to have the bells & whistles in Win10, many (and I mean MANY) using Octane or other GPU renderers have either stuck with Win7x64Pro or downgraded back to it. Win10 eats a ridiculous amount of VRAM that Octaners etc are loath to part with, and there has been no indication that I have seen that MS is working to remedy this shortcoming of Win10. This is not for you Prometheus, since GPU rendering isn't your thing, but for others that may be considering Win10 (or 8), which I would advise against in a GPU workstation. Again, I'd love to have the dang thing, but Win7x64Pro is rock-solid and I get much more VRAM available for rendering. It comes down to a business decision.

I donīt follow you..what do you mean gpu rendering isnīt my thing?? where do you get that from, after some other software is installed, I will continue with octane, what I can suspect you are right about, that may be windows 10 etc, so will se about that, things like that is a reason I have been not willing to upgrade to windows 10.

fractron 9000 uses gpu as well, iray in daz as well.

prometheus
07-05-2017, 04:12 PM
and camstudio is known to contain Trojans, adware and bloatware, so its warning you with good reason, the original developer left somewhere around 2012 I think, since then its known to have some very suspect code as well as being bundled with trick bloatware (first question is "do you want to install?", then the next bloat is worded something like "do you "not" want to install?" )
http://botcrawl.com/camstudio/

yep I understand if mcafee protest against camstudio since it has some bundled adware etc.
I can also undersdand why mcafee did put the zbrush goz bridge in to quarantine, in the way it can connect to other sofware..so I am not really surprised though I donīt like it.

rustythe1
07-06-2017, 01:07 AM
not just bundled, if you read the article cam studio itself contains code that can read your browser and emails, and send popups to the web browser, best thing to do is run malewarebytes after installing all your software as it will pick up most trackers etc,

prometheus
07-06-2017, 09:12 AM
not just bundled, if you read the article cam studio itself contains code that can read your browser and emails, and send popups to the web browser, best thing to do is run malewarebytes after installing all your software as it will pick up most trackers etc,

thought you could turn that off, thanks for the heads up, I have older version of camtasia studio (not camstudio) and may try that instead.

prometheus
07-06-2017, 12:57 PM
I have one more question here..

What would you guys do?
I was thinking about simply copy my own created third party folder where I keep js_symmetry, px plugins and a lot of other third party plugins, now..these are also set up in my own modeler menu, that is in lw 11.6.3 32 bit..so I wonder how that would work if I copy that folder to the lightwave plugins folder in Lightwave 2015.3 32 bit then load that special menu in to 2015.3, may there be a risk of the configs not working properly here due to the version difference? or may it be safe?

I could try ...nothing wrong with that, just wanted to hear some opinions on what you would do or recommend...go for it, or going the hard way of setting each one up again in a new menu?

Stardust
07-13-2017, 03:13 AM
Just got me a new machine..
So what do you guys recommend, or is recommended by the lightwave group..just taking a chance of getting a fast track answer withut checking the docs :hey:

Lightwave installation path on windows 10?

I Use C:/newtek/lightwave since the program_file folder is a pain to deal with when sharing the folder for scremernet, and I install as administrator

As for Antivirus, I use Norton because it comes with my DSL, if that wasn't the case I would use ESET

I Use Win 10 Enterprise and Win 10 Enterprise LTSB - LTSB is win 10 without all the bloat stuff, like Cortana. I like win 10 way better than Win 7, once its all set-up nicely I think it performs faster and handles memory better than Win 7. Win 10 is avtually the first OS thats got me exited since Win2k.

prometheus
07-13-2017, 06:23 PM
I Use C:/newtek/lightwave since the program_file folder is a pain to deal with when sharing the folder for scremernet, and I install as administrator

As for Antivirus, I use Norton because it comes with my DSL, if that wasn't the case I would use ESET

I Use Win 10 Enterprise and Win 10 Enterprise LTSB - LTSB is win 10 without all the bloat stuff, like Cortana. I like win 10 way better than Win 7, once its all set-up nicely I think it performs faster and handles memory better than Win 7. Win 10 is avtually the first OS thats got me exited since Win2k.

Oh..norton, well..I understand why people say itīs a virus by itself, I had it installed some years ago, but it made the system so Extremely slow, and also even stopped me from using lightwave properly...and trying to unistall it was almost impossible without a new complete fresh windows installement, so Norton never again.

Stardust
07-14-2017, 03:02 AM
Oh..norton, well..I understand why people say itīs a virus by itself, I had it installed some years ago, but it made the system so Extremely slow, and also even stopped me from using lightwave properly...and trying to unistall it was almost impossible without a new complete fresh windows installement, so Norton never again.

As I sayd, I only use it becasse it comes with my DSL, otherwise I'd go with ESET. I just did redo my machine and hadn't installed Norton for a week, this morning I discovered a Web site re-direct :( so i'd rather have Norton than some nasties