PDA

View Full Version : VT[3] and 4 audio channels

Lord Beowulf
12-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Hello,

we have the following problem. We need to make Beta Tapes with 4 audiochannels on it. And as far is i know the toaster have only 2 and badly this 2 channels are used as one stereo channel.

The TV-Broadcaster wants for example a Tape with channel 1: atmo mono, channel 2: speaker mono, channel 3 and 4: music in stereo... How the hell should i treat this in VT-Edit???

I guess i have to record it two times, but how can i easy switch on and off audio channels...? Not the single clips.

Better would be an upgrade for the toaster with 4 audiochannels. This is a real lack of the toaster :,(

btw i love the toaster have since Version[1]. But now we use it in a daily basis and we rent the Toaster-Suite for editing ...

regards,
Beo

Paul Lara
12-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Lord Beowulf
Better would be an upgrade for the toaster with 4 audiochannels. This is a real lack of the toaster :,(

Beo,
NewTek is working to resolve this in a future version.

Lord Beowulf
12-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks Paul :)

tmon
12-19-2003, 12:11 PM
We have a need for this also during acquisition/capture, though I know it's asking for a lot in terms of multichannel capture...

This feature, if implemented, would boost VT[x]'s standing in our online suite, and in the market at large.

bradl
12-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Lord Beowulf
I guess i have to record it two times, but how can i easy switch on and off audio channels...? Not the single clips.

Lord Beowulf.

If you do try the two pass approach keep in mind for BetaSP channels 3 & 4 are recorded will the video is laid down and cannot be re-layed or changed without re-laying the video. So, lay V, A3, A4, then on next pass lay A1, A2. You will have to use a mixer or patch panel to reassign the VT's two outputs between passes.Of course, if it is Digibeta, you can lay any of the 4 channels at any time independantly.

As far as switching on and off channels you can mute tracks through the F8 panel, or you could use Toolshed to do this on multi-selections. Since you will have two 'wav' files to make up the 4 channels, you could simple delete one, record to tape, then drop the second with inherit to record the second pass, but that would only work if the edits on both pair are exactly the same.

The quickest may actually be rendering out each pair of tracks for the entire timeline, then you only have to deal with muting one or the other once. A audio only render is extremely fast.

tmon
12-19-2003, 11:13 PM
What Bradl said.

This is another reason why I need to figure out what's happening with inconsistent RS422 control.....and our VT[3].

bradl
12-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by taiji
This is another reason why I need to figure out what's happening with inconsistent RS422 control.....and our VT[3].

Taiji,

Not sure if this is related to your problem, but I will share this as it may help someone. After Patch 2 (the second time), I lost all RS-422 control. I don't very often use DV deck control, mostly BetaSP, Digibeta and D-9, which all pretty much use the basic Sony VTR protocols.

After confirming with external program that my cabling was right, I ran Auto-Config but it did not help. It seem to skip the RS-422 portion of the Config because it found my old Machine Preferences in a skin folder somewhere.

I deleted all my VCR's from the control drop down, then re-ran AutoConfig and it did seem to initialize 422 properly. It worked fine after that but, of course, I had to start over with defining my VCR's.

There was a reboot or two in there somewhere as well...

Lord Beowulf
12-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by bradl
If you do try the two pass approach keep in mind for BetaSP channels 3 & 4 are recorded will the video is laid down and cannot be re-layed or changed without re-laying the video. So, lay V, A3, A4, then on next pass lay A1, A2. You will have to use a mixer or patch panel to reassign the VT's two outputs between passes.Of course, if it is Digibeta, you can lay any of the 4 channels at any time independantly.

That's how we do it now. We uses sub projects for grouping things together.

I find the toolshed and the audio types, but how can i use this thing to enable or disable soundtypes???

Btw is it planed to use mono tracks and not one stereo ... ??? I guess it would be better two use two mono tracks for a stereo WAV.

Beo

Lord Beowulf
12-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
Beo,
NewTek is working to resolve this in a future version.

Paul,

could you specifiy the word "future"? And how will resolved only with SDI or analog, too. Because the SX-8 isn't capable of 4 channels as far as i know ...

Beo

Paul Lara
12-23-2003, 07:03 AM
"future" as in we're looking at this for VT[4]

Lord Beowulf
12-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
"future" as in we're looking at this for VT[4]

That's a little bit more specific, but do you know when VT[4] will come out? I mean something like 2004 or 2005 or ...

Beo

Paul Lara
12-23-2003, 02:20 PM
No dates, yet, Beo.