PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Spotlight Projection - 16:9 insted of 4:3

Gar
06-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Is there a way to get the lightwave spotlight to project a 16:9 image in its proper aspect? Mine keep showing up in 4:3
Version 2015.3 PC edition.

THanks
Gary

stiff paper
06-29-2017, 01:19 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?117676-Accurate-Spotlight-Image-projection

Gar
06-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks!

Gar
06-30-2017, 07:56 AM
So i did the black bar thing to get the projection aspect to work correctly..Another question. How do i get the black type on a white image to project black? Right now its like a alpha channel dropping the black on the type. Need the type to read black like a real projector.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Gary

Gar
06-30-2017, 08:08 AM
DP Nodes are crashing LW 2015 pretty much everywhere..Seen others with this issue..Looking for another fix Please.
Gary

Gar
06-30-2017, 09:02 AM
oh and IMAGE EDITOR is crashing like crazy, if i clone a instance of the image and then go to processing...locks up, replace image locks up. Very annoying.
Trying to get a previs done for a movie set. Never had these issue before. But this light projection this is great if it had options.
LIGHTWAVE NEXT? When. Need UI scaling as well..2015 on 4K is awful.

stiff paper
06-30-2017, 10:51 AM
To Project black, clone the light, then project an image with white text on a black background and make the spotlight have a negative light intensity (-100%, for example. The value will need to be tweaked.) This will subtract light from the text area.

To project the image in the right aspect ratio, make the image square by adding black bands either at the top and bottom or the left and right.

Gar
06-30-2017, 10:54 AM
Thank you ..will give it a try..got the aspect part correct..
Thanks for the reply. Will get back to you soon.

MonroePoteet
06-30-2017, 04:44 PM
I have to assume the surface onto which the image / sequence is project is not flat, like a movie screen? Otherwise, you could simply map the image / sequence to the screen with 100% luminosity. Sorry if I'm missing the point.

mTp

Gar
07-04-2017, 07:17 AM
Hello,
Here is a sample of the image i have rendered.
The projections are white back with black text.
Walls are white.
the images have black bars top and bottom to help crop to correct aspect.

What i need is the text to read black as well. Its now transparent.

Thanks for any help.
Gary

gerardstrada
07-06-2017, 02:48 PM
You might find this article interesting:

http://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2015/06/16/how-do-projectors-project-the-color-black/

Btw, Denis updated recently DP Filter.

Gerardo

stiff paper
07-06-2017, 03:48 PM
I've already given you the answer; use a light with a negative value.

Clone your light that's projecting. With this new light, use a new projection image that's the same size and shape as the original, but this time completely black except for the exact same text as the original image, in white. Set this new light's value to be negative (between 0 and -100). This will subtract light from where the text is projected, making it darker. Play with the light's strength (the 0 to -100% number) until your text is "black" enough.

( Gerardo! I'm trying to give him a solution that does what he needs - you're a superstar, but please don't confuse him with reality, physics and common sense. )

gerardstrada
07-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Cardboard, I'm just a user :) If we notice, the article backs up the solution you are providing. Since the only way to get (non-physical) absolute blacks in average viewing conditions as he wants would be to subtract light precisely from those areas as you are proposing.

Another way might be to stick a bit more to how the thing really looks and just diminish ambient intensity values to a dark level. Of course, letters will never be absolute black, but that's how it's in reality as well.

Gerardo