PDA

View Full Version : Web Captioner, speech to text application

kanep
06-26-2017, 10:45 PM
Just found out about this tool on another forum. https://webcaptioner.com/ Its a free speech to text application that runs in a Chrome web browser.

Using it, with NDI Scan Converter, NDI Transmit and my TriCaster and I was able to do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkdJn5Loql0

It's not perfect, but not bad for free!

fgolman
06-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Wow, that's impressive actually!

I know that it was extremely time and labor intensive to caption my PBS program when it was in the air ... This would have been a godsend! And the price is right!

If you ever watch CC for live programs, this is about as good as they do if not even better. Sometimes, it's actually hilarious the mistakes the captioners make!

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

DStoneburner
06-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Very awesome find Thanks

DStoneburner
06-28-2017, 07:22 AM
I found who I think is the author of this program on Reddit yesterday. He said that as of accuracy, the cleaner the audio the better it is, oviously, but he believes it to be around 80% or a little better. So for some projects it's not up to par yet. Although I think it is really cool and most likely over 80% accurate from what I tested.

SBowie
06-28-2017, 07:28 AM
At a glance, it looks far better to me than the live captioning system used by our local tv stations. It's absolutely horrid, with a better than even chance that the text on a screen at any moment will be illegible gibberish.

DStoneburner
06-29-2017, 06:35 AM
I agree and plan on using it as a backup or primary for live events. For produced videos I would have to be a little more careful. In education the ADA requires 99% accuracy. I really like this though.

m4a2000
11-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Anyone know away to take the generated text and combine it with video for true CC?

SCanada
12-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Hello, all. We're currently working with a TriCaster mini and looking to integrate Closed Captions. Currently we have another tower running webcaptioner.com plugged into our audio board. The unit also has Vmix, NDI Scan Converter, and NDI Transmit. We are trying to find some way to get the webcaptioner feed into the TriCaster so we can have "Live" captions on our video out. Anyone have any luck with getting something like this going?

imryh
12-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Tricasters don't support CLOSED captions. If an incoming SDI video feed has embedded captions, they are stripped out in the Tricaster. Also, no Tricaster has the capability to embed closed captions within its SDI feeds.
What most people do is take the program feed from the Tricaster and then run it through a closed captions encoder (which embeds the captions in the SDI feed). If you're looking to stream the feed, you then need to use a RTMP H.264 encoder that preserves the captions (such as a Teradek Cube).

If you are looking at OPEN captions instead (which are basically subtitles), that's a different matter. You just need a character generator that can take your text feed from your captioner, and send it to the Tricaster using NDI, iVGA or SDI (depending on your setup).

Imry

kanep
12-07-2017, 04:37 PM
You can use WebCaptioner to create open captions on the TriCaster output. Currently, use NDI Scan Converter to grab the web browser interface as a feed into TriCaster.

I don't know when this might happens, but I've spoken with the developer of WebCaptioner to add DataLink support so that you can have captions sent in using that method which will save a video input in the process.

vdmc
05-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Just found this after a client asked about captioning. This is great information!!!
Thank you!!
-Cheers!

kanep
05-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Here is a video that shows you how to connect WebCaptioner and TriCaster together via NDI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDMOgyzgvl4

JPulera
05-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Here's a little instruction sheet I put together for using Webcaptioner with TriCaster via NDI. Special thanks to Dan Gross at Waterford Union High School (WI) for introducing me to this workflow! Dan is always on the cutting edge of technology with his students and their video productions.

Thanks

kanep
05-09-2018, 03:00 PM
I should also point out that there is a full NDI based captioning solution available.
http://www.ezlivecaption.com/

fgolman
05-09-2018, 07:49 PM
EZ Live Caption is what I've been looking for! It will create the necessary files to embed into broadcast streams.

Thank you Kane!

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications