PDA

View Full Version : bridge two flat edges in wireframe mode , not working in 11.6.3

prometheus
06-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Not sure this has been discussed, I was about to bridge two edges ..simple flat polys, but selected in edge mode two edges, then construct bridge, and it doesnīt work in wireframe mode, but it works in textured wireframe mode, not sure how it is in 2015?

you could do a sort of bridge with edges and use edges2 polys, but I think it doesnīt work nicely if you simply canīt use that bridge tool as one expect.

MonroePoteet
06-27-2017, 08:30 AM
In both 11.6.3 and 2015.3, for me the Construct=>Combine=>More=>Bridge tool will build a polygon between two selected edges in Wireframe mode. Specifically:

1) In the Top view in Wireframe mode, 11.6.3 Modeler, create a flat disc
2) Away from it, create a flat box
3) Change to Edge selection mode, select one edge on the disc and one edge on the box
4) Invoke Construct=>Combine=>More=>Bridge
5) A polygon is created between the two selected edges

It has the same behavior in 2015.3.

mTp

Danner
06-27-2017, 10:08 AM
I have encountered the bridge tool failing, but I can't remember what the exact circumstances were when it failed., I do know that unwelding one of the polygons made it work again.

prometheus
06-27-2017, 10:59 AM
In both 11.6.3 and 2015.3, for me the Construct=>Combine=>More=>Bridge tool will build a polygon between two selected edges in Wireframe mode. Specifically:

1) In the Top view in Wireframe mode, 11.6.3 Modeler, create a flat disc
2) Away from it, create a flat box
3) Change to Edge selection mode, select one edge on the disc and one edge on the box
4) Invoke Construct=>Combine=>More=>Bridge
5) A polygon is created between the two selected edges

It has the same behavior in 2015.3.

mTp

Thanks, though you really didnīt have to that length to instruct me how to bridge :)
I am very familiar with it, I must have been tired, or a temporary glitch ..perhaps after having used some of the newer core tools, I didnīt follow your steps..I just made a box copied and pased and bridge the edges .in wireframe, and now it works again..odd, though it could be due to me installing a lot of additional plugins, so a restart and it seems to work in all viewport modes, thanks anyway for verifying.
I thought it should work since I have never had any issues with it before really.

MonroePoteet
06-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks, though you really didnīt have to that length to instruct me how to bridge :)
I am very familiar with it, I must have been tired, or a temporary glitch ...

I wasn't trying to be condescending, but thought I'd just document a "reproducer" for what worked for me. If you looked at my steps and said something like "No, I create the disc in the Top view and the box in the Back view and it doesn't work" (or some such), then we're off to a start on finding the core issue.

Glad it's working for you again.

mTp

prometheus
06-27-2017, 05:24 PM
I wasn't trying to be condescending, but thought I'd just document a "reproducer" for what worked for me. If you looked at my steps and said something like "No, I create the disc in the Top view and the box in the Back view and it doesn't work" (or some such), then we're off to a start on finding the core issue.

Glad it's working for you again.

mTp

:)
Donīt worry, I knew you werenīt really :) just wanted to say that it would have been enough to say it works here, thought it was a simple case in terms how I refered to what I did, but you never know, then I had to say..I know how to do it...just in case you know :)

Sensei
06-28-2017, 02:56 AM
I tried:
make quad,
make 2nd quad on the right of 1st quad,
selected two edge, one from each quad,
pressed Construct > Bridge (in LW v11.0.3).
Hole between them is filled by yet another quad.
Good.

Undo.

So, I deleted two points from each quad, making from them 2-point polygons.
Selected edges, Construct > Bridge.
And there is error: Cannot bridge polygons with internal edges or holes. In status bar, or if Alert Level > High is set, in separate window.

prometheus
06-28-2017, 10:16 AM
I tried:
make quad,
make 2nd quad on the right of 1st quad,
selected two edge, one from each quad,
pressed Construct > Bridge (in LW v11.0.3).
Hole between them is filled by yet another quad.
Good.

Undo.

So, I deleted two points from each quad, making from them 2-point polygons.
Selected edges, Construct > Bridge.
And there is error: Cannot bridge polygons with internal edges or holes. In status bar, or if Alert Level > High is set, in separate window.

That is a differentt issue than mine, if it was the same as mine, it would have worked in textured wireframe ..which it doesnīt, so that is simple a functionality lack in the bridge tool which does need more than a two point point polygon.

gerry_g
06-28-2017, 11:22 AM
have Bridge tool mapped to alt/B and in 2015.3 have no problems in any screen mode, viewport or edge or poly mode, I do get errors/warning dialogues same as stated on occasion but these usually relate to the way other geometry is connected to the selection so I suggest your issue is to do with layout of geometry, incorrect topology or lack of cleanness. LW's Bridge tool is not as robust as Modo's, sometimes I can just get away with lasso selecting geometry sequentially and it works, other times it makes a total hash of things and i have to do the operation more peas meal, maybe that could also be your problem, the way you are selecting it is throwing it.

prometheus
06-28-2017, 08:44 PM
have Bridge tool mapped to alt/B and in 2015.3 have no problems in any screen mode, viewport or edge or poly mode, I do get errors/warning dialogues same as stated on occasion but these usually relate to the way other geometry is connected to the selection so I suggest your issue is to do with layout of geometry, incorrect topology or lack of cleanness. LW's Bridge tool is not as robust as Modo's, sometimes I can just get away with lasso selecting geometry sequentially and it works, other times it makes a total hash of things and i have to do the operation more peas meal, maybe that could also be your problem, the way you are selecting it is throwing it.

almost impossible to track, I think it may have been a glitch from working other core tools, or adding plugins, canīt replicate it, and it was extremely simple geometry as I said, simple boxes flat polys next to each other, and the selection process was even simpler, just select one edge with mouse button and the next, not even lassoing...and I tried that too, counterwise and otherwise, it now works anyway.
if it was about how I selected it, it shouldnīt matter what viewport mode I had active, in this case it was about the viewport modes, so i also suspect it really didnīt have anything to do with geometry either.

Michael