PDA

View Full Version : Does the EPS import work in LightWave?

djwaterman
06-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Trying to import an illustrator file and it doesn't seem to work. Anyone have experience in this area?

djwaterman
06-23-2017, 07:43 PM
If I create an EPS in LW and export it, I can Import that EPS, but any EPS files from anyone else don't seem to be recognized (well they don't import).

Snosrap
06-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Need to export out of Illustrator as version 8. It's been that way forever and is a result of anything higher being proprietary to Adobe.

djwaterman
06-23-2017, 11:21 PM
Ffs.

prometheus
06-24-2017, 05:05 AM
there is also an option to use free tools for getting vectors in, like inkscape, but inkscape doesn´t load eps, so you would have load ai, or pdf format in to inkscape...then save it out in inkscapes svg format, lightwave doesn´t recognize
inkscape svg, but splotcdogs plugin can handle that...
http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=169

Or simply create your vector art directly in inkscape.

But I think the answer of using illustrator 8 was the correct way that should work.

otherwise inkscape offers an alternative for those who do not have illustrator, and if you use blender which imports svg natively... you can actually edit the vectors with bezier handles that are intact, not possible in lightwave though.

adk
06-24-2017, 06:19 AM
Ffs.

That one made me laugh dj :D one of my favourite terms of late.

Snostrap offers good advice tho not 100% correct :) you can import other versions but with issues.
Illustrator 8 is definitely the way to go if you want to import open curves / lines.
I just tried CS 5.5 which imports but with those above limitations, Houdini is the same, and doesn't like Illustrator v8 it seems. So LW is ahead in that respect at least.
Text needs to be converted to outlines whichever way you go.

adk

prometheus
06-24-2017, 07:10 AM
That one made me laugh dj :D one of my favourite terms of late.

Snostrap offers good advice tho not 100% correct :) you can import other versions but with issues.
Illustrator 8 is definitely the way to go if you want to import open curves / lines.
I just tried CS 5.5 which imports but with those above limitations, Houdini is the same, and doesn't like Illustrator v8 it seems. So LW is ahead in that respect at least.
Text needs to be converted to outlines whichever way you go.

adk

I would prefer pdf import, so any embedded eps is in the pdf file.
Better yet perhaps, full svg support, like blender with editable curve handles..seems way more better, currently splotchdog allow for svg import, but not as editable as you can do in blender, and additionally, such curve can instantly be turned on as 3d pipes.

gar26lw
06-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Hmm, Ai import via the eps importer in modeller worked fine for me today. Ai was generated from latest version of photoshop. Lw 2015.3

gerry_g
06-24-2017, 08:58 AM
Illustrator 8.1export always works but later versions going forward use something different and LW being cutting edge and bang up to date (sarcasm) does not support them.

erikals
06-25-2017, 05:59 AM
hope to see a pdf importer plugin

The Dommo
06-25-2017, 11:28 AM
I've always saved from Illustrator as EPS v3 I think it is, and never had any issues bringing the curves into LW.