PDA

View Full Version : rendering

Rizwan
06-22-2017, 02:03 PM
How do I render a Sky using SkyTracer2 in to a QuickTime Movie?

prometheus
06-22-2017, 02:39 PM
what lw version and what bit system 32 bi, 64? and what quicktime format and do you render final renders directly to animation.
preferably render out to image and compile in a free software like fusion and compress to quicktime.

I got an error when using 32 bit system and rendering h264, so try the quicktime animation if you absolutely want it directly to animation, though it will be huge in file size, but it worked.

MonroePoteet
06-23-2017, 01:51 PM
I always render to a frame store (i.e. separate files, and I usually use TGA files), and then use the freeware FFMPEG utility to convert to a movie format (MPG, MOV, AVI):

https://ffmpeg.org/download.html

An example FFMPEG command line is:

c:\ffmpeg -f image2 -i C:\Temp\Frames\SkyTracer2_rgb%03d.tga -r 12 -pix_fmt yuv420p C:\Temp\SkyTracer2.mov

where:

c:\ffmpeg invokes the utility, explicitly placed in C:\ root level for ease of access
-f image2 forces the input to be images
-i C:\Temp\Frames\SkyTracer2_rgb%03d.tga specifies the input sequence rendered in LW, the %03d indicating the numbering 001, 002, ...
-r 12 indicates an output frame rate of 12fps
-pix_fmt yuv420p indicates the colorspace of the output MOV file, and is required to be compatible with newer MOV players
C:\Temp\SkyTracer2.mov specifies the output file, with the .MOV extension indicating FFMPEG should render a QuickTime movie

An important note: don't use 32-bit TGA (or other 32-bit format files) to include the Alpha channel. SkyTracer2 backdrops aren't included in the alpha channel, and any animation format which support an Alpha channel will simply show black as the background. Use a 24-bit output format for the framestore images.

By default, the output resolution will match the input file's resolutions, but you can also resize the output with the -s qualifier. For example, -s 640x480 would rescale the input images to 640x480 resolution. There are NUMEROUS other options for FFMPEG as well, way too many IMO!

Good luck,
mTp