PDA

View Full Version : Emission surface material in Lightwave Next?

prometheus
06-21-2017, 09:35 AM
I really like the emission materials in blender, I do not know if emission surface materials where discussed or planned in lightwave next?
Love how you can add a text object and move it inside a mixed shader of glass and refraction and illuminate it from the inside with various refraction blurring and various strength on the emission, canīt recall but I seem to have tried with lightwave before and not getting good enough results and also using radiosity taking a bit of time including refraction.

So blender does this quite nicely..at least in cycles preview, a lot of noise which I havenīt bothered to increase settings on...I still have waysto go to understand cycles and geting clean results both in preview and in final renders, besides, cycles preview speed is one thing, when it comes to final render..it is way too slow for my liking.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137148&d=1498059168

Michael

Snosrap
06-21-2017, 08:28 PM
I don't think emission materials were mentioned but I'd be surprised if they weren't.

Verlon
06-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Gee, thanks Prometheus. You've just delayed Lightwave Next another 3 months. JK
Actually, that is pretty cool.

Maybe it is time to give Blender another shot. It seems to be the only fluid simulator I can justify buying right now anyway.

Norka
06-22-2017, 06:24 AM
Umm, so emission materials are child's play in Octane, and have been in there for like more than three or four years, if I am not mistaken. I don't know how even LW hobbyist like Prometheus can live without Octane...

rustythe1
06-22-2017, 07:12 AM
would the fact that the lights have been visible elements in some of the latest demo vids such as the Godzilla renders suggest that there could be, as in some of the other videos such as the cell shade they have been invisible but shown in viewport as in lightwave now, he was using a standard distance light then, but a flat visible light for Godzilla and a visible sphere in another older video

prometheus
06-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Umm, so emission materials are child's play in Octane, and have been in there for like more than three or four years, if I am not mistaken. I don't know how even LW hobbyist like Prometheus can live without Octane...

:)
I donīt know how you could even consider buying octane if you are a hobby artist, especially if you really havenīt been doing much for a year in lightwave.
If you are born with a silver spoon, or have invested a lot and got a good revenue, then ok..but otherwise, you can really stick to lightwave as it is or use blender.

I purchased in on lightwave sometiem before I knew I was going to do 3d renders and for work as well, but since four years ago...it ended as work and is now purely hobby.

The brdf refraction shader and glass shader mix along with the emission surface is nice in blender cycles preview, not so nice in speed for final renders though, so ..sure, if you need it in production, octane may be a choice for product shots of illuminated store signs, buttons etc.

prometheus
06-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Lightwave high luminosity and radiosity, a simple glass surface without any node materials, just transparency and refraction blurring...

Much faster than blender despite all, considering that blender uses path tracing and also more advanced materials both brdf glass and refraction as well as emissive material.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137158&d=1498169808

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137159&d=1498169823

Norka
06-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Illuminated store signs and buttons... Wow. You are woefully ill-informed about Octane.

prometheus
06-23-2017, 04:32 AM
Illuminated store signs and buttons... Wow. You are woefully ill-informed about Octane.

Lol..you managed to censur yoursef..it found itīs way to my mailbox though..
"ou should stick to topics that you are knowledgeable about, and you should really, really consider going all-in on Blender."

and how do you come to the conclusion I am ill informed about octane?
just because I mentioned it would be good for that kind of work? right..or do you beg to differ that itīs not?
and by that I didnīt even bring in other things to the table octane do so well..but you did perceive it as I sort of said..thatīs the only thing it may be good for.

Your commens are really hard to grasp..I really haveno clue to what you are after?

I tested octane standalone long before you...I suspect, maybe 6-7 years ago, it sure has developed, but there isnīt anything that justify buying it from a hobbyiest standpoint of view.

and as for me sticking to topics I am knowledged about, that is something you canīt grasp....or even should urge for..since you obviously have no idea on what you are talking about.

prometheus
06-23-2017, 05:00 AM
Gee, thanks Prometheus. You've just delayed Lightwave Next another 3 months. JK
Actually, that is pretty cool.

Maybe it is time to give Blender another shot. It seems to be the only fluid simulator I can justify buying right now anyway.

Actually guessing they already have implemented it, just guessing.
as for blender, for modeling stuff and for me it has some nifty tools lightwave just donīt have, but as far as working smoothly and fast both in how you navigate and set things up in a scene to rendering...I still prefer Lightwave, to me Lightwave is way more organzied in places that makes sense, where blender often is a clutter and finding myself scrolling in menus and tabs for things that goes much faster in lightwave, that is one of the Blenders akilles heals.

vonpietro
06-29-2017, 10:00 PM
dpkit - has a light type that turns your objects into lights.
however - i think there are some issues with it -

i tried to use it for a lamp and i parented the light type to the object and it made it rotate 90 degrees for some reason - bears some investigation what i did to make it do that, but i think it should work -

say you have a lamp and the you turn the lamp glass into an emissive using the dpkit light type - it should work

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/lights/Additional_Lights.html

i didn't even realize he had this type of light type until i re read his page.

when you say emissive do you mean it emits light?

daforum
06-30-2017, 12:42 AM
Andrew Comb did a webinar a few years ago and showcased a simple light scene here:http://www.andrewcomb.com/page/2/
( see the green strip light )

Hope it helps :)

prometheus
06-30-2017, 05:22 AM
dpkit - has a light type that turns your objects into lights.
however - i think there are some issues with it -

i tried to use it for a lamp and i parented the light type to the object and it made it rotate 90 degrees for some reason - bears some investigation what i did to make it do that, but i think it should work -

say you have a lamp and the you turn the lamp glass into an emissive using the dpkit light type - it should work

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/lights/Additional_Lights.html

i didn't even realize he had this type of light type until i re read his page.

when you say emissive do you mean it emits light?

yes...emissive means emitting light, I knew about dpkit, havenīt actually tried it, but that isnīt properly correct, it will only make an object an area light source, thus it wouldnīt work as text led light as in my samples, you would only get a rectangle light source that would not follow any object contours, so Dp lights woulnīt work as truly emissive objects.

it wouldnīt work either for surfaces, so in another case I havenīt shown here, you should just have to make an inset in a polygon and make that inset surface as emissive and off you go, so that wouldnīt dp custom light work for either.

by using radiosity, any intense surface material will affect the scene by lighting up other surfaces, such as the main transparent refraction rod I have in the sample, but unlike emissive surfaces...that method wouldnt work if you only have one surface or object and no surface to bloom on, so a simple neon sign in the complete dark or some glow effect wouldnīt be seen with the radiosity trick, unless encapsuling it in to another object layer that has some refraction, an emissive surface material will light and have glow by itself and around itself without any other special object nearby or encapsulating it.

will need to jump in to blender to showcase it since blender has that.

So emissive surfaces I would look forwardl too.

prometheus
06-30-2017, 05:35 AM
Andrew Comb did a webinar a few years ago and showcased a simple light scene here:http://www.andrewcomb.com/page/2/
( see the green strip light )

Hope it helps :)

Thanks for the help, but if you take a close at my sample images, the techniques are almost the same, in my case it may be more advances as a led light illuminating a transparent refractive rod, yielding a glow effect around the high luminous text object, in the sample scene from the tutorial ..its a simple ojbect with high luminance and a dome light only..thatīs the main difference, the dome light only lights up a bit extra and is quite slow.

and to note..I think that sample uses nodes just to get green color, not really necessary when you can use advanced shading tab and color filter.

Edited..I noticed the sample was a bit more advanced with nodes than I initially recognized, but I do not see why you even would bother with nodes for it, what advantages or features it gives extra.