PDA

View Full Version : Camera following character "jumps" with him! Help please

1Garrett
06-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Sorry anticipately if the question seems too easy, I haven't found (or I wasn't capable) an answer yet reading other posts... I managed to make a camera to move along the root node of a biped character, at a certain distance from him. It was done by making the character root node a parent of the camera into the schematic view.

Its all what I (almost) wanted, but the character has a run animation which makes the root node "jump" (Y direction is not fixed) while running, so I'm struggling to let the camera follow the character just in X direction, as I want. Of course, I don't want to remove the Y channel of the root node, so how can I tell Lightwave to let the camera just follow a node in the X direction? Please help!

ernpchan
06-19-2017, 08:07 AM
You can do this via the constraints that are in the Motions options panel.

rustythe1
06-19-2017, 11:33 AM
you will be better off, add another null, parent to your root null, parent the camera to the second null, (to parent just press M for motion options and then drop down the parent item box), select the second null, open the motion options with M if not already open, for the position tab, tick "world", there is a drop down for "position item" drop that down and select your character null, then in the X and Z position controller drop downs select "same as item" for the Y leave it as keyframes, you can do the same with rotation if needed too so your camera will follow around corners, also this allows you to move the camera around with its own keyframes so it does not have to stay in a fixed position

Ryan Roye
06-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Consider taking a look at RR Cam for stuff like this. While not free, it eliminates almost all of the rigging work required to manipulate various aspects of the camera. FoV, point at target, falloff controls, etc in a very non-destructive way.

https://vimeo.com/204106141

http://www.liberty3d.com/store/tools/rr-cam/

1Garrett
06-19-2017, 08:22 PM
you will be better off, add another null, parent to your root null, parent the camera to the second null, (to parent just press M for motion options and then drop down the parent item box), select the second null, open the motion options with M if not already open, for the position tab, tick "world", there is a drop down for "position item" drop that down and select your character null, then in the X and Z position controller drop downs select "same as item" for the Y leave it as keyframes, you can do the same with rotation if needed too so your camera will follow around corners, also this allows you to move the camera around with its own keyframes so it does not have to stay in a fixed position

Thank you rustythe1 and others for their reply, I learned how to do it. The only thing I did differently was I didn't make any parent object, since doing this constrains the child to follow the parent in both X, Y, and Z directions whatever choice you select in the motion options. So in the motion options I just selected "world", "position item" and "same as item" for the X controller, and it worked for me.

Spinland
06-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Great advice, Ryan! Just took it myself. ;D