PDA

View Full Version : Beige G3 ScreamerNet Render Troubles

MarkSr14
12-18-2003, 11:52 PM
Just for fun, while attempting to use ScreamerNet on ALL of my machines, I was able to activate my old Beige G3 400 (ZIF Upgrade), OS 10.2.8, 288MB RAM. It worked and rendered fine with a simplistic scene of just a small tesselated ball, but add in complex geometry (high poly objects) and a couple of image sequences (all files on the HOST node) and I get the error message:
"The application [LWSN05](my name for the node) has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been affected."
Is it obvious that it is a RAM issue? It seems to me that 288MB should be sufficient to run the OS and SN only.
Looking for suggestions or answers. It would be nice to get an extra ten frames rendered per night. Ten frames is ten frames!

mlinde
12-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Mac OS requests at least 128 - 256 MB of RAM alone. Put SN on top of that and you will run into RAM issues. However, you should be able to work with it if you have enough HD space for scratch disk usage by the OS. If that won't hold true, you can upgrade the RAM. The machine should render, just slower (I have an 8600 >G3/450 w/512 that I use as my last node).

MarkSr14
12-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info. On that particular OSX partition, I have 700MB of HD space left for possible scratch disk usage (I have 30 GB on another partition). Unfortunately, I can't find where to ASSIGN the scratch disk space. I know that in PShop, you can do this in the app's prefs. Since the SN app is on the host node (and lacks preferences), I don't think that I can assign it there, and I couldn't find anywhere in OSX(10.2.8) to designate scratch disk usage. How is yours accomplished?

BTW, I do know that rendering will be slow, but I can, at least, gain a few frames overnight. Every frame rendered is a frame ahead.

mlinde
12-20-2003, 10:51 AM
The OS does the scratch disk, you don't assign space, it just takes it.

I know I've seen this as well (the crash bit), just relaunch the LWSN application, and see if it will pickup the render. Mine has done that successfully most of the time.

In addition, you can run the SN app as a local application that refers to the prefs on the host. Install LW on your render node, change the LWSN cmdline to refer to the mounted host drive locations, and run it local. It may help cut down on the network traffic, and may help keep your LWSN from crashing (just an idea, haven't tried it out yet).

Mike