PDA

View Full Version : Bug: Object Inherits Another Object's Envelope

Chris Jones
06-12-2017, 11:20 PM
This bug is driving me bonkers. Objects in my scenes keep hijacking the envelopes of other objects.

Steps:

1. Load any object into the scene and select the object in the Texture Editor
2. Click on any texture button and apply an envelope to the X Position
3. Save the object, then reload it
4. Look at what has happened to the envelope
5. Repeat ad nauseam
6. Go bonkers

This occurs with nodes as well as the basic texture editor. All the scenes of my current project are infected with this problem, and the only way I've found to get around it is to reapply the texture outside the scene and load it back in every time I want to make an adjustment.

Needless to say, any suggestions for a more permanent fix would be much appreciated.

(c:

Sensei
06-12-2017, 11:26 PM
Chris.. Do you know how to report bug reports to NT developers?

Chris Jones
06-13-2017, 12:24 AM
I do, however I was hoping someone here might have some clues, as I'm in need of a solution now rather than some years down the track. Also it helps confirm that it is in fact a bug before submitting a report.

Ztreem
06-13-2017, 03:46 AM
I did a test and it seems like a bug, a nasty one...
What I did.
1. open the surface editor
2. pressed on the T button for the color channel
3. in the texture editor I added a procedural
4. for the procedural I pressed the the E button for position X and made a curve.
5. the procedural moves in x position
6. saved the object.
7. reloaded the object

this is my curve that I saved:137067

This is what I got when I saved and reloaded the object:137068

The only workaround I could find for the moment is to use channel follower on a Null position X (it then get saved in the scene instead of object which maybe is a problem)

Ztreem
06-13-2017, 04:00 AM
Seems like the texture editor don't remember what kind of curve it is in the graph editor. I changed the curve type to different types and saved and reloaded and the curve came in different all the time and sometimes it came in as I first created it and sometimes it felt like a random curve, very strange.

Good find, this must be reported and fixed!

Chris Jones
06-13-2017, 04:08 AM
Hmm.. so it looks like merely pressing the E button and leaving it at that causes the curve from the other object to be transplanted, and actually adding new keyframes invokes even more mischief.

Interesting idea about channel follower, I'll have to see if that will serve as a better workaround than my current (extremely tedious) one.

Thanks for testing!

Edit: And yes it does seem somewhat inconsistent. I'll send a report through.

Ztreem
06-13-2017, 04:10 AM
This setup seems to work and saves with the object. Can be a workaround for the moment...

Chris Jones
06-13-2017, 06:01 AM
Yeah that looks like it should work, although I need an envelope on transparency, and for whatever reason I can't get transparency to work properly with nodes (that's another story). So I tried applying it to the other object instead, and it still continues to write over the envelope of the new object, even though I removed the original envelopes.

The nulls option should still be viable though; certainly not ideal, but preferable to my alternative I think.

Thanks again for taking the time!

(c: