PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave not loading Maximo FBX animation (deforms, etc)

jperk
06-09-2017, 05:51 PM
So I am able to get animation working in Maya. Here is what I got:https://youtu.be/brOa-sfH_7Q

Now LW is another story. Usually I get two different files from Maximo. The mesh and the animation in fbx format. In this case I do the following; I take the mesh fbx by File > Load Scene > Load Items from Scene, and select the mesh FBX file ( with "Merge only motion envelopes selected) . Then I load the animation fbx the same way. This is my result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmszOJ3dcHE&feature=youtu.be

What is going on here? Anyone had success getting Maximo animations/rigs FBX into LW? It's never a problem for me getting them into Maya.

Ztreem
06-09-2017, 06:32 PM
I did some tests with adobe fuse and mixamo a while ago and it worked without problems, but I don't think I got the animation and model i separate files. Sounds like a game engine workflow. Look at your export options in mixamo and see if you can find some other settings and try again. Otherwise you may have to rest your bones in LW to get the deformation right.

jperk
06-09-2017, 06:47 PM
I was able to save mesh and animation into one file. Not separate like before. When I load this file into Blender or Maya everything works. When I load into LW2015 the animation does not play. And the mesh and bones display in a t-pose...???

Seems to be a compatibility issue with Lightwave. Mesh/Animation works fine in Maya 2017 and latest Blender. Here is what FBX file displays when opened side by side in Maya and LW :

In Maya the animation plays. In LW Lara FBX file just stays in T -pose. No Animation plays.

RebelHill
06-10-2017, 03:08 AM
LW doesnt handle takes in FBX files, so your tpose+animation in one file wont work, you need to do them separate. As for the bindings, you'll need to rebind the tpose version of the mesh to the skeleton first, then load the animation on.

jperk
06-10-2017, 09:22 AM
LW doesnt handle takes in FBX files, so your tpose+animation in one file wont work, you need to do them separate. As for the bindings, you'll need to rebind the tpose version of the mesh to the skeleton first, then load the animation on.

okay I'm new to LW. I'm used to binding skeleton in Maya. How do I do this in Lightwave?

Greenlaw
06-10-2017, 10:02 AM
How well does the mesh deform before you import the FBX? If it's wonky, it could be that the binding your messed up. This can happen if the imported rig is joint based--LightWave offsets the influence to the child joint for some dumb reason, so you may need to correct that before merging the motion data.

Based on the image in your post, it does look like you have a joint's based rig there. I think Rebel Hill made a video that explains how you can fix this--it's pretty old but worth tracking down.

BTW, my understanding is that the joint offset is not a bug, it's just an annoying design choice that nobody likes. I still hope the developers will just change this but I stopped using joints a long time ago because of this issue.

Edit: I see RH responded. He'll be more helpful than I can be. When it comes to rigging, he's the expert. :)

jperk
06-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Eh, I thought joints was the only way to build a rig? What method are you using as an alternative to joints ? I'm used to rigging in Maya.

Greenlaw
06-10-2017, 01:12 PM
You can use joints in LightWave, it's just that there is a weights offset, as described, that you need to be aware of that's different from how Motion Builder, Maya and other 3D programs using joints work. Sadly, for a brief period during LW 9.6.x testing, LightWave joints did work exactly the way it did in other programs. I'm not sure why they changed it or why they won't change it back.

Anyway, in LightWave, there are two different elements that can be used for rigging: Z Bones and Joints. IMO, Bones seems to be the preferred method in LightWave over Joints because LightWave Bones doesn't have that dumb offset issue. But it really depends on what you're trying to do in LightWave--even with the offset problem, I think Joints are easier to edit and they do have some interesting properties over Bones.

That said, these days, I pretty much stick with Bones even when I use motion capture data. With Bones, because the weights go where you expect them to, I find this easier for managing rigging and motion data between programs.

Also, Bones work well in other areas of LightWave like Spline Control and Bullet, which I use often.

jperk
06-10-2017, 01:19 PM
^ Maya uses joints and bones. Don't bones need joints to connect ?

Greenlaw
06-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Anyway, changing the offset isn't a big deal, just tedious if it's a complex rig. It's been years since I've had to do it but I think you just change the weight maps in the joints property panel for each joint to what LightWave wants. What's annoying is that where you assign the weight map for LightWave Joints is different fom where you'd assign it with LightWave Bones (which is actually the way it is in Maya.)

I would recommend tracking down that RH video. He explains the reasons for this and how to deal with it much better than I can. (I should probably re-view it myself.)

Greenlaw
06-10-2017, 01:30 PM
^ Maya uses joints and bones. Don't bones need joints to connect ?

Not in LightWave. Bones and Joints are two different objects in LightWave. Bones can be used by themselves without Joints, and Joints can be used without Bones...but to make this even more confusing, they can also be used together. :)

Actually, it's really not that confusing, just different from other programs. I recommend reading about LightWave Bones and Joints in the user manual.

Anyway, once you get the weight map assignment squared away in LightWave, Merge Only Motion Envelopes from an FBX should just work.

Oh, and also after you make sure there is only one take in the FBX file as previously explained by RH. If there is more than one take in the FBX, LightWave will only import the first frame. (My experience is mainly with Motion Builder FBX files but I imagine it's the same with a Mixamo FBX.)

Hope this helps.

jperk
06-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Is this the video you were referring to?

http://www.rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

gar26lw
06-12-2017, 02:18 PM
isn't that a real limitation with the takes?

for unity, i'm using the takes system in the max and maya fbx game exporters to bring animations in.

Greenlaw
06-12-2017, 02:41 PM
It is but LightWave doesn't have a native internal system to separate the data, so Takes don't currently make sense to it.

Personally, I think LW should at least say something like, "Hey, I see there are multiple takes in this file. I can't handle more than one so which one do you want?"

The current situation is not too bad though. I just save a different FBX for each animation. It's less convenient but still manageable.

I think if LW3DG ever adds animation layers to LightWave, then we might see normal support for takes. Hopefully, the devs will work to improve this. I know they're aware of the benefits of animation layers and Takes.

Ztreem
06-12-2017, 02:48 PM
I havn't tested takes in fbx but LW has a master plugin for handeling fbx takes. I don't know what it does or if it only support export or import...

Greenlaw
06-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the tip! I started working with mocap again at home recently, so will check it out tonight.

blindsided
06-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Been playing around with Fuse/Mixamo lately.
I found if I 'create' a character in FUSE and upload to My Assets on the Mixamo site, and then apply any animations, i can download the animation with SKIN applied, as an FBX and import the character with animation the animation into LW no probs.
However if I take an existing character from the website and apply the animation the same process gives me a character stuck in the T pose in LW with no animation applied. Same thing seemed to happen in Blender.
The way I got around it was to Download the character only in a T Pose, and then upload it to the MIXAMO rigging preview and let it re-rig the character, who then appears in MY ASSETS and applied animations work as expected. Hope this helps.

joseburgos
09-06-2017, 03:56 PM
So this is what i have been able to do as of early this week;
Design character in Fuse
Export textures from Fuse choosing Blinn-Phong (gives you spec and gloss and not roughness as well as the rest of the image maps)
Animate in Mixamo
Mixamo will auto rig and after it's done, download. Do not choose Animate until you have downloaded your T pose FBX
Now animate choosing one of the animations
Export as FBX with skin
Close animation and choose another animation and export with skin
Load T pose FBX into LW
Remove the original textures and load the exported from Fuse ones
Go into Surface Nodes and add all textures via 2D image node. Choose the correct UV map and put Color Diffuse to the Surface Color input, Ambient Occ to the Diffuse input, Spec to the Spec input and Gloss to the Gloss input. Finally add Normal image node and use the normal map and put to the normal input
View in turning on VPR to see the normal map effect and a much better looking image maps
Save Scene and objects, (Save All)
Next load in one of the animations you downloaded
Select under Objects, fbx_bone_hierarchy_standin
Then select Bone and you should see one of the bones as the current item (possibly fbx_base_bone_transformer)
Press F2 to open Motion Mixer
Click on Create Actor and give it a name
On bottom, Selection Menu drop down and choose Select Descendants and all the bones should be selected
Items in Actor should read 2 so in Actor Menu drop down and choose Add Items. You should now have 69 items in actor
Click on Create Motion and make sure your end frame matches your motion and leave all the defaults selected and press Ok
On the Motion Menu drop down, choose save motion and give it a name to save it
Now clear the scene and repeat for each motion, yeah I know takes a lot of time but you only have to do this once per downloaded animation

OK now load back up the T pose scene you started with and follow the same actions above to get the model ready for Motion Mixer
Once the Actor is ready, on Motion Menu drop down choose Load Motion and choose a motion file you previously saved. Load as many as you saved one at a time
Click on Add Motion button above the time line and then left mouse click on one of the time line tracks. Since its the first motion, click on frame zero
Now use Motion Menu drop down and choose another motion
Click on Add Motion button and left click mouse where on the time time line you want it
Click on the Add Transition button to transition between motions
NOTE1: Watch some of the Motion Mixer online video tutorials to get a better understanding of using the motions
NOTE2: Some motions have to drastic a joint rotation and motion transition may not look good for one frame. I suggest you use familiar animations in Mixamo to not have this issue. Example all the boxing animations would transition well.

I'm sure I left out in-between steps that I just took for granted and this oozes a video tutorial which I hope to find time to do soon but hope it helps most of you guys who want to play around with Fuse and Mixamo :)

Take care,

joseburgos
01-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Been playing around with Fuse/Mixamo lately.
I found if I 'create' a character in FUSE and upload to My Assets on the Mixamo site, and then apply any animations, i can download the animation with SKIN applied, as an FBX and import the character with animation the animation into LW no probs.
However if I take an existing character from the website and apply the animation the same process gives me a character stuck in the T pose in LW with no animation applied. Same thing seemed to happen in Blender.
The way I got around it was to Download the character only in a T Pose, and then upload it to the MIXAMO rigging preview and let it re-rig the character, who then appears in MY ASSETS and applied animations work as expected. Hope this helps.

Download FBX Converter and run the program;
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909
Choose Add FBX Take Manager. Drag the FBX file into the left Source File pane. Select it and on the right, select the take that says mixamo.com. Click on rename if you want and give it a different name. Click on Create FBX and choose Save Selected takes in one in one FBX file (make sure only the mixamo.com take is selected before you export).
I would also first export from Mixamo the DAE format just to get the normal map as Lightwave does not extract it from the FBX but Collada format gives you your three image maps that you can then add the normal map.

stevegraymusic
01-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Not sure if you ever figured this out ...I see this thread is from June
I was messing around with Mixamo this weekend and I struggled with it for a while
Don't mean to dupe in case this exists elsewhere in the forum but...

Here's a step by step to use Mixamo with LW in case anybody else needs it:

1. Load your character into LW and export in T pose as FBX
(I use FBX 2014 although it may work with other versions /make note of the scale - I usually leave the scale scene unchecked)
2. Upload that FBX into Mixamo and position the markers for rigging
3. Once the rigging is complete, select your desired animation
4. Adjust arm spacing etc. and make note of the number of frames in the animation
5. Download one version of the animation as an FBX With skin and one version as an FBX without skin (bones only)
rename them so you don't inadvertently overwrite the first
6. In LW Layout load the FBX with skin using the normal Load FBX - The character will come into the scene centered, with bones
protruding from the mesh but no motion attached to the bones. if you select one of the bones and move it you should see
the mesh deform based on the weights that Mixamo has applied to it
7. Next, load the other FBX (bones only) using Load Items From Scene function
8. A dialogue box will come up ( keep scale unchecked) ok
Another box will come up with the rig listed.
Make sure the rig is checked in the list and at the bottom of the dialogue box make sure to check
load motion only.
This should attach the Mixamo animation to the character - enter the correct number of frames

Done

PS
Have not yet figured out how to combine actions, would appreciate if anyone has this down.
I planned on just faking it with editing
Thanks

ianr
01-16-2018, 09:36 AM
I was messing around with Mixamo this weekend and I struggled with it for a while

(I use FBX 2014 although it may work with other versions /make note of the scale - I usually leave the scale scene unchecked)
4. Adjust arm spacing etc. and make note of the number of frames in the animation
5. Download one version of the animation as an FBX With skin and one version as an FBX without skin (bones only)
6. In LW Layout load the FBX with skin using the normal Load FBX - The character will come into the scene centered, with bones
protruding from the mesh but no motion attached to the bones. if you select one of the bones and move it you should see
Make sure the rig is checked in the list and at the bottom of the dialogue box make sure to check
load motion only.
This should attach the Mixamo animation to the character - enter the correct number of frames

Done

PS
Have not yet figured out how to combine actions, would appreciate if anyone has this down.
Thanks

Ask Oliver Hotz or get his plug-in soon.

joseburgos
01-16-2018, 01:03 PM

load motion only.

Done

PS
Thanks

I f you install latest version on LW 2018, it corrects the double bones so you don't need to disable it.
Next, if you use your method to load in the motions, then use Motion Mixer as I described in my workflow, you can mix motions in a time line. The only problem I am having is Motion Mixer's time line does not go past 380 frames. I tried all kind of ways to move the time line but to no avail

Greenlaw
01-16-2018, 01:16 PM
The only problem I am having is Motion Mixer's time line does not go past 380 frames. I tried all kind of ways to move the time line but to no avail

That's odd. The Motion Mixer timeline seems to work here but maybe my test is too limited?

I launched 2018.0.1, opened MM, selected the camera and created an Actor for it. Then I Alt-panned the Motion Mixer timeline. It seems to scroll well past 380 in either direction.

Sorry, I'm not setup to test a character with MM at the moment but, for this particular test, the camera example should be the same I think.

joseburgos
01-16-2018, 01:19 PM
ALT key, dang it. That is what I needed :)

Greenlaw
01-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Oh, good! It's been a while since I last used MM but glad to hear this isn't a bug in 2018. ;)

stevegraymusic
01-19-2018, 08:37 AM
I f you install latest version on LW 2018, it corrects the double bones so you don't need to disable it.
Next, if you use your method to load in the motions, then use Motion Mixer as I described in my workflow, you can mix motions in a time line. The only problem I am having is Motion Mixer's time line does not go past 380 frames. I tried all kind of ways to move the time line but to no avail

@joseburgos _ I appreciate the reply and the explanation on Motion Mixer. Can't wait to try it. Thanks!