PDA

View Full Version : Subd order for MDD files in 2015

jimiclaybrooks
06-05-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm a bit confused about the subd order for mdd files in LW. I used to set the subd order to last for all my mdd files, and AFAIK no other subd order worked in a scene that I wanted to render. Now when I set the character's subd order to last, an error message says the subd order is not compatible with MD Reader. So what is the correct setting for using the motion file? I also noticed that I used to be able to scan an object at display level one and render at levels two or three, but not any more. I have to scan the obj with both display and render levels set to the same number, like I had to do in HD Instance. So what's the rule for using the mdd format, because the mdd file I scanned will play back at every level EXCEPT last, but its a "ripped and torn" object. Thanks.

Sensei
06-06-2017, 12:11 PM
You can try MDD Displacement node instead, in Displacement Node Editor..

Thomas Leitner
06-07-2017, 01:53 AM
....Now when I set the character's subd order to last, an error message says the subd order is not compatible with MD Reader. So what is the correct setting for using the motion file?....

Hi,
when you bake your MDD you have to set the "Bake Mode" to the desired mode: Cage only (no subd before the MDD displacement > works with every order after "After Bones") Subdivision Only (subd before the MDD displacement > works with every order before "After Displacement" and the Display SubPatch Level must be the same as the recorded one) or Cage and Subdivision (LightWave only).
It seems that you used Subdivision Only for baking. Usually, with the exception of special cases, one should use "Cage Only".
Hope it helps.

ciao
Thomas

jimiclaybrooks
06-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Yes indeed, this is most helpful. Sorry to take so long to respond, but this does clear up a few issues.