PDA

View Full Version : noob queston: edit key at frame 0 when slider is at another frame ?

madno
06-04-2017, 02:27 AM
Hi,

how do I edit an object's keyframe values in layout at frame 0 when the slider below the viewport is at e.g. at frame 120 ?
(sorry total animation noob).

Farhad_azer
06-04-2017, 04:35 AM
After editting hit the enter and set it to zero in the dialog box. Then delete the current one.

madno
06-04-2017, 04:49 AM
Thanks for chiming in.
So I need to create a new key at frame 120, edit it and then set that one to 0 so it overwrites the current values at frame 0, right?

Markc
06-04-2017, 06:20 AM
It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
If there is movement from frame 0 to 120, creating a keyframe at frame 0 (to match 120) while on frame 120 will result in no movement between 0 and 120 (unless there are additional keyframes between)
Are you just rendering different stills on various frames?

It is well worth reading the LW manual for a full description :)

As an animation noob, you may be better turning off AutoKey.
Everytime you move something on a different frame, it will create a key, which may make things more complicated for you, if your learning.

madno
06-04-2017, 08:59 AM
manual, ahem yes, should read that more (learned auto keyframe off from it).
Regarding the why:
The object is static throughout the scene - set at frame 0. But I need to see it around frame 120, because there I can check where the obeject should be placed. So I only need to change frame 0, but to see if it gives me the desired result, I need to see frame 120.

ernpchan
06-04-2017, 01:01 PM
This thread is about what you're talking about.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?152123-How-do-I-turn-off-movement&highlight=Static+channel

Ernest
06-04-2017, 02:14 PM
manual, ahem yes, should read that more (learned auto keyframe off from it).
Regarding the why:
The object is static throughout the scene - set at frame 0. But I need to see it around frame 120, because there I can check where the obeject should be placed. So I only need to change frame 0, but to see if it gives me the desired result, I need to see frame 120.

Put Layout in frame 120 and move the object with the Graph editor. It's especially easy if you have 2 monitors.

MonroePoteet
06-04-2017, 02:35 PM
There's probably an easier way, but with AutoKeyframe ON, I position the Timeline to frame 120, Move / Rotate / Scale the Object how I want it throughout the scene, and then hit "ENTER" (create KeyFrame), type 0 (basically copy the current keyframe to frame 0), hit "ENTER" to commit the Keyframe, hit "DELETE" and "ENTER" to delete the keyframe at 120. I do that sequence a lot. This is just more detail on Farhad's recommendation.

mTp

madno
06-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the information and the thread link. Seems so, enter, 0, delete, enter becomes my standart ;-)

UnCommonGrafx
06-05-2017, 03:32 AM
Graph editor response was better: less thought involved.

tischbein3
06-05-2017, 04:48 AM

Why don't you simply add a key at frame 120 and delete the one at 0 for that object ?

And additionally (for the record) The Move Path Tool under the Modify tab ->Motion Path
allows you to move the full path of the object with all of the keyframes at the same time at any point in the timeline

hope this helps

jeric_synergy
06-05-2017, 08:52 AM
All correct, as far as I can see. All a little bit inconvenient. I'm not sure how to avoid ALL inconvenience, esp. if you are leaving AUTOKEY on.

IF you anticipate positioning an unmoving object several times, I believe some kind and generous soul updated STATIC_CHANNEL to affect all channels simultaneously, effectively creating a movable but static Object/Item. I don't remember the name of the script off the top of my head. It works with AutoKey, so you can leave it on, but still reposition your item on any frame.

I've come to appreciate those applications that ASSUME static-ness as a default. MOST things, I suspect, don't move in a typical animation, and making that the default would probably be a net keystroke-saving move.

Another key saver might be "Auto-key on object-by-object basis", but that might be EXTREMELY confusing. Probably a bad idea.