PDA

View Full Version : LW2015 viewport orbiting / rotating

jperk
06-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Hello, is there an option to adjust the viewport orbiting/ rotation to the likes of Blender or Maya?

Rotating objects when working in perspective mode feels a tad off. Anyone know what I mean?

gar26lw
06-03-2017, 06:53 PM
do you mean you want maya style (almost industry std) alt button navigation?
if so, i have a helper app that gives that, which i use. can post here.

edit- oh, you don't want trackball rotation, like modo offers. stuck with it atm.

jperk
06-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Maybe thats what I'm looking for. I just feel that orbiting around model seems more responsive in Maya and even Blender. Not used to orbiting in LW. Turning off the grid helps a little. It's hard to re position the view without it looking lop sided.

djwaterman
06-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Shift A with center anything that is selected, and if nothing is selected then it will center anything in the active view-port.

wingzeta
06-03-2017, 11:04 PM
Yeah orbiting in-viewport holding (alt) in LW takes getting used to. I tend to use multiple click and drags to keep things on course, rather than one click and a long drag, which seems to start to rotate the view sideways. Some are dead set against this, but I prefer to use the icons in the upper right corner of each viewport. The orbit there will work as you expect it to with a left click, and rotate sideways with a right click. If you get used to using the icons, you can get very fast at it. The nice thing is you won't accidentally select things when using the icons. BTW, if you hit (a) it will put your whole model in view, but more importantly if you hit (Shift + a), the view will orbit around whatever you have selected (point, poly, or edge), which is very handy. If you hit (g), whatever your cursor is over will be centered in the viewport (<, >) also zoom in and out.

The icons are your friends. It's worth it to get used to them, even though it might seem a little weird coming from maya. I remember working in some other packages and wishing they were there for the precision they offer. Especially if you model in quad view, they are never far away.

Hope that helps

wingzeta
06-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Shift A with center anything that is selected, and if nothing is selected then it will center anything in the active view-port.

You beat me to the punch on that one:foreheads

Also, if you haven't already, you should turn on "mouse wheel zoom" in the interface tab of display options (d)

djwaterman
06-04-2017, 02:30 AM
Yeah but you explained it better.

gar26lw
06-04-2017, 05:17 AM
Use the g key too.

Danner
06-04-2017, 05:35 AM
The main weirdness in LW's navigation is that the horizon drops to the right or left when you orbit an object, this can be fixed by only using the middle of the screen, as opposed to the top or bottom, when click dragging an object to orbit around it. This also applies to the vertical axis. stay away from the sides.

gar26lw
06-04-2017, 08:31 AM
Yeah it's supposed to be like that. Trackball Nav

jperk
06-04-2017, 09:32 AM
Okay yeah. The button tab for orbiting seems to work a little better than holding down alt. Not sure if I like trackball NAV. Hope Newtek changes this for LWNext.

rustythe1
06-04-2017, 09:40 AM
you can also go to, Edit / navigation options, there you have control of navigation options for supported devices along with different styles and general options,

jperk
06-04-2017, 01:33 PM
you can also go to, Edit / navigation options, there you have control of navigation options for supported devices along with different styles and general options,

Changing to grab seems to help a little. I can't really tell.

Snosrap
06-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Hope Newtek changes this for LWNext.

Nope! Just make things optional! :)

gar26lw
06-04-2017, 03:58 PM
yes. i second that. both, not one of the other, at all times!

jwiede
06-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Nope! Just make things optional! :)

Amen. Even if 75% of the customers want it as the default, that's still more than enough reason to keep the other viewport rotation option available via prefs (even if not the default).

Why? Because there are navigation results (such as aligning to / navigating along interior paths/openings/concavities roughly parallel* to object center) which trackball nav easily handles, while they cannot be navigated along at ALL using "orbiting"-style rotation. Having only "orbiting"-style viewport rotation would notably limit LW viewport navigation compared to offering both methods.

*: Orbiting works fine as long as viewdir roughly facing object center, but second user needs to face "away from" object center, orbit-based rotation becomes limiting not enabling.

MarcusM
06-07-2017, 01:41 AM
I can't use Alt rotating in Modeler... after many years it is still weird for me.

Istead of this i using Auto Hot Key. After left click Alt+Win i get appropriate rotation style.

Create file with this code and run. Write in pixels position perspective rotation button and correct WinActive name for LW version:

ClickDown = 0
xpos = 0
ypos = 0

while 1
{
IfWinActive Modeler™ NewTek LightWave™ 2015.3 (Win64)
{
AltState := GetKeyState("Alt", "P")
WinState := GetKeyState("LWin", "P")

if (AltState and WinState)
{
if (ClickDown = 0)
{
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click down 2518, 58
ClickDown = 1
}
}

if (!AltState or !WinState)
{
if (ClickDown = 1)
{
ClickDown = 0
Click up left
MouseMove, xpos, ypos
}
}
}
}

Amurrell
06-07-2017, 04:42 AM
Hello, is there an option to adjust the viewport orbiting/ rotation to the likes of Blender or Maya?

Rotating objects when working in perspective mode feels a tad off. Anyone know what I mean?

Would be nice to have turntable option. Right now as it stands, the widget in the upper right corner gives you what you want, and Alt button orbiting gives you trackball type. I too wish there was a way to choose like in Blender. Damn frustrating really.

prometheus
06-07-2017, 11:58 AM
I prefer to orbit the blender way, one middle mouse button and drag rotate instead of using two hands in lightwave and also a different rotation gimbal.
I wish it could be built in to the lightwave options as hardcoded instead of running seperate apps for it, and it should maintain lightwave default anyway.

jwiede
06-07-2017, 08:01 PM
I wish it could be built in to the lightwave options as hardcoded instead of running seperate apps for it, and it should maintain lightwave default anyway.

Ideally, it'd be something users could associate with a modifier key (with prefs controlling which is the default), so they could switch between the two while working.

gar26lw
06-08-2017, 12:54 AM
try this. run it a startup. works great for LW maya navigation.

prometheus
06-08-2017, 10:07 AM

That doesn´t do a thing for me, tried on lw 2015.3 64 bit, nothing changes in navigation options.

gar26lw
06-09-2017, 01:41 AM
should make it maya nav

djwaterman
06-09-2017, 03:31 AM
That doesn´t do a thing for me, tried on lw 2015.3 64 bit, nothing changes in navigation options.

You need Auto Hot Key installed for it to work apparently.

gar26lw
06-09-2017, 04:21 AM

No it should work without it. I use it on computers with no ahk install.

prometheus
06-09-2017, 04:24 AM

Go figure..ok.
I will skip that..wasn't fond of..isn't fond of background process scripts for things like this..
I think I can endure lw 2105 defaults til next lw version. ..and only look in to it if they do not implement better options next time.
Thanks

clintonman
06-09-2017, 08:09 AM

Thank you! This works for me both modeler and layout v11.6 64bit.
I think this has hotkeys baked into the executable. When I right click the running icon there's an option to "Suspend Hotkeys".

prometheus
06-09-2017, 10:12 AM
is it tested to work with 215.3 ? wonder why it doesn´t seem to to anything for me?

djwaterman
06-09-2017, 11:17 AM
How do we run the script?

jperk
06-09-2017, 03:45 PM
I've noticed in Layout that orbiting around object in viewport is similar to that of Maya and Blender. Layout doesn't use Trackball Nav. This method feels more natural to me and I wish it was in modeler.

clintonman
06-09-2017, 06:51 PM
How do we run the script?
Unpack and run the exe file then start Lightwave hold the alt button in a viewport and use left, right and middle buttons to navigate. It's not perfect. The rotation is more trackball than turntable and you have to release the alt button to use a different mode. I test with LW 2015 running in discovery mode and it also works.

gar26lw
06-09-2017, 11:04 PM
yeah it should work fine. i use it with lw 2015.3 x32 & x64 on win10.

there are some
options for it too. i think you press alt+f1 or alt+w or something

djwaterman
06-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Hey that's pretty cool, it does work, in both Modeler and Layout, how do I go about uninstalling it if I want the standard navigation, I like both for different reasons. Can it be toggled on and off?

I see it in the task manager, would i just kill it there and then execute the script again if I want to use it?

jperk
06-10-2017, 01:00 PM
any tips on using the trackball standard orbiting around object in perspective mode? How are you guys (and gals) adjusting to it? Is there a hotkey to center back view?

gar26lw
06-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Hey that's pretty cool, it does work, in both Modeler and Layout, how do I go about uninstalling it if I want the standard navigation, I like both for different reasons. Can it be toggled on and off?

I see it in the task manager, would i just kill it there and then execute the script again if I want to use it?
Just rmb click on icon in btm right corner of task bar.

djwaterman
06-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Thanks, it's pretty cool, been working with Blender for a while and was feeling a bit weirded out when moving back into LW, although if you just stick with the standard controls it is just as fast to move around, but it's nice not having to re-orient your work-flow every time you swap from one program to another.

gar26lw
06-11-2017, 05:47 AM
Yeah that's what I use it for. Go between modo, max and maya plus lw! Depending on the project.