PDA

View Full Version : Help with bone pivots.

Malorie
12-18-2003, 06:58 PM
I could use some help with setting up the pivots on bones in layout.

How does that rotate pivot tool work. There doesn't seem to be a method to the madness.

I know about setting up the lollipops in modeler, but I would like to accurately adjust the pivot's HPB in layout. For instance, I can't seem to get the pivot for the shoulder bone where I want it.

BTW, what is the best position for the HPB of that bone anyway. All I can figure is that the pitch should be vertical and pointing down the arm so putting the arms down will give joint comp. Then I would think that heading should be vertical and pointing front to back so the arm can swing properly. I just can't seem to get it there.

HELP!!!! :D
Malorie

hrgiger
12-18-2003, 07:38 PM
Try zero-ing out the rotational values, this will remove any gimbal lock issues. Then you can manually rotate it to where you want it to be and then use the pivot>record pivot rotation to have it all set to 0,0,0.

It might be wise to use 2 bones for your shoulder setup. Have a small bone that is the parent of your shoulder bone. This way, you can use the small bone for pitch, and then use the shoulder bone for bank and heading. Using nested controls like this can help you avoid gimbal lock while animating.

Dodgy
12-18-2003, 07:48 PM
I prefer the pitch to be horizontal, so the pec inflates with joint comp/muscle flexing. I usually have a second bone running from the shoulder joint along the shoulder blade and Targeting a bone near the bottom of the ribs to prevent the ribs collapsing as the arm swings down. As you raise the shoulder, it also lifts the shoulder blade nicely, giving it a more realistic feel.