PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Lobby

bbowman
03-07-2003, 09:00 AM
This is an apartment lobby for a cel-shaded project that I am working on.

http://www.onlocationmm.com/clientinfo/brad/lobbyfinished.jpg

marble_sheep
03-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Sweet. The outlines give it a nice illustrated look. I really like the futuristic look. What will it be used for?

The only nitpick I have is that it's hard to tell at first glance that the balcony is actually on another level, because of the strong reflections. Maybe put some people milling about to give a sense of scale and space?

Nice work...

Kuzey
03-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Wonderful!!

I can't wait to see how this project develops.

Kuzey

Gluge
03-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Yea I agree... hard to tell what I'm looking at..

that balcony is glass right? I'd try giving it a tint or shade.. not making it 100% transparent... or something..
also might try thowing in a bit of black or other colored fog and a bit of blur maybe? I don't know hehe, depends on the look you want.. 8*)

looks cool though, i like the pretty colors...! 8*)
looks very... 'sleek cool modern and different!

can't wait to see some animations from the project 8*)

pauland
03-08-2003, 03:33 AM
Looks like I'm going to be the only one here who doesn't like it. I can appreciate it's a very swish designand I can appreciate the skill it took to make it, but for me the image is too busy, too much going on. When I have to try hard to work out what I'm looking at the effect is really wasted (on me anyway). Sorry.

Paul

Rory_L
03-09-2003, 08:41 PM
The `busy` unreadability will resolve itself with a bit of camera motion, but as it is...mmm: bit difficult :)

Altogether cool...

...but is the glass balcony`s edge curve meant to be faceted, or are those naughty polys we`re seeing??

R

Dave3D
03-10-2003, 02:17 AM
Love the textures very final fantasty ;)

Dave

bbowman
03-10-2003, 06:39 AM
Actually the balcony is not transparent but highly reflective and has the same elevator doors that the first floor has. I do agree with differentiating the texture of the balcony a bit but the camera is actually going to be placed on the lower level for most of the 10 or 15 seconds this balcony is going to be used. The faceting around the edge y'all see is actually flourescent lights. The balcon itself is fairly smooth but the tubes the lights are composed of are faceted. I hope to have an animation with my character running through the lobby up in a few days. Thanks for all the comments.

Brad

bbowman
03-10-2003, 08:49 AM
This is the lower view. You see, the balcony isn't really seen all that much and they do not overlap from this angle.

http://www.onlocationmm.com/clientinfo/brad/lobbyfinished2.jpg

Epita
03-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Looks like a great scene, but the 100% reflectivnese is to strange. Nothing in real life is 100% so maby tone it down a little, or give it some tint. Looks a little strange i thought is was see through too!

Epita

Matt
03-12-2003, 08:41 PM
for some reason I'm not a huge fan of cel shaded stuff, but this is nice.

looks like a futuristic DJ booth/club, wouldn't mind a gig there!!!

:)

bbowman
03-13-2003, 12:07 PM
I love these forums, the feedback given often helps add that final oooomph to an image. I rendered the lobby again, this time with the bur reflections filter on. I think it really makes it pop.

http://www.onlocationmm.com/clientinfo/brad/lobbyblurreflect.jpg

kief
03-16-2003, 09:58 PM
that looks great with the blurred reflections. it looks much more solid. not quite as busy. it would be great to see some characters in there.

bbowman
04-01-2003, 08:20 AM
This is the outside of the apartment. The buildings are suspended above a reflecting pool. The walkway to the lobby is flanked bu fountains of water. This is what it looks like at night.

http://www.onlocationmm.com/clientinfo/brad/outsideoflobby.jpg

Mebek
04-01-2003, 02:00 PM
That looks a lot better, with the blurred reflections! It helps to lead your eyes to a few of the major points in the room, instead of everything vying for attention at once. Very sleek! I like the tilted angle too. And yes, I can hear the techno music already! The cel-shaded look reminds me of Jet Set Radio Future... he he he...

ChandlerL
04-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Wonderful. I love your use of color/lights. Very otherwordly.