PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #285 The Microphone

NeonZ
06-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Rules:
1. Every two weeks or so there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit (usually 60 to 120 minutes plus 60 minutes if you're new to LightWave). You should spend no longer than the allotted time modeling. Then texture your object(s), light the scene, and post a render of your model to this thread. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling time is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. If there are a sufficient number of contributors, a "winner" will get the chance to pick the subject of the next challenge. Input from the community is often used in this process. If there are only a handful of contributors, they can discuss this together and pick the next topic, designating one of them to post the new subject in the Forum.
7. Have fun! This is a community event designed to encourage you to keep modeling. Whether you're a new LightWave artist or a seasoned professional, working with these tools is the only way to get better.

This Challenge Topic: The Microphone

Description: Is this on? Time to model your "favorite" microphone. Whether made for a mic stand, your desk, or lapel, get Modeler loaded up and start designing! **mic drop**

Modeling Time: 120 minutes

Challenge Ends: ~Noon Pacific - June 14, 2017

Winning entry announced: ~Noon Pacific - June 15th (so check back)

Challenge #286 will start on or around June 16.

unstable
06-11-2017, 11:39 AM
I took about 65 minutes to throw this model together. Probably doesn't qualify, but it is a micro phone. :D

JamesCurtis
06-11-2017, 02:07 PM
I think that's a microscope there.

unstable
06-11-2017, 03:43 PM
No, no, no. Look closely. There isa micro (cell) phone that the microscope is analyzing;);)

NeonZ
06-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Watch out for the Yeti!

Modeling Time: 120 minutes

NeonZ
06-14-2017, 08:47 AM
That's hilarious, unstable! That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that can get you somewhere! From a lawyer's perspective, this would qualify since it meets the "letter of the law". Good work. Put a smile on my face!

unstable
06-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Put a smile on my face!

That's all I did it for. Your model is excellent! And a great job on the materials. Makes me want to say testing... testing...

NeonZ
06-14-2017, 02:11 PM
That's all I did it for. Your model is excellent! And a great job on the materials. Makes me want to say testing... testing...

Thanks. Textures are pretty simple, or at least made from simple images. For anyone new to LightWave (or surfacing in general), here are the base images used for the mic mesh and knobs. It doesn't take much! First two are bump and transparency map for the mesh, and the third is for the knob edges.

JamesCurtis
06-15-2017, 03:56 PM
No, no, no. Look closely. There isa micro (cell) phone that the microscope is analyzing;);)

My apology please!

NeonZ
06-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Congrats to unstable (http://forums.newtek.com/member.php?103391-unstable) for thinking outside the original "scope" of the challenge, and for submitting the only qualifying entry! He'll be submitting the next challenge topic soon!

NeonZ
06-16-2017, 07:58 AM
On the topic of these Modeling Challenges, I want to get community feedback. Is two weeks too short for the challenge? Would three be better? And do you have any other ideas that might help increase activity? I know there have been a handful of consistent participants over the last two years, but I'd like to see more submissions and ensure this is a fun topic for everyone to be a part of. So reply with your comments!

unstable
06-16-2017, 02:55 PM
My apology please!

:D Apology accepted James. I should have done a render looking through the scope at the phone. It might have conveyed the idea better. Thanks NeonZ. I thought yours should have won, but I accept the award and have posted the new challenge. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?153904-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-286-%96-Album-Cover