PDA

View Full Version : Don't sweat the small stuff....

TreyX
05-29-2017, 04:54 PM
Getting a little bummed about LW still wearing the 2015 label? Despite a little dust on the version number, I just can't tear myself away from this puppy...

I've been a LW user since 1995, and still am lovin' this tool. I've seen a lot of angst about LW updates (or lack thereof), and some even questioning ditching LW for other tools. My take on this is that LW is still a world-class app, and I'd recommend it as a part of every 3D animator's toolbox. Every tool has it's strong points, and LW has been, and always will be, one of my favs. My studio has several tools we use for a variety of projects (LW, C4D, Maya, ZBrush), but I always come back to LW as my core app. I just freakin' love it. And we still have some brilliant minds, like Steve Hurley, working to make LW even better and competitive.

Just wanted to put that out there, for any who are feeling a little low and thinking they HAVE to go out and plunk some coin down on more expensive apps with hefty maintenance fees. Do what makes you happy. And LW makes me a very happy camper. :D

Shawn Farrell
05-29-2017, 07:58 PM
getting a little bummed about lw still wearing the 2015 label? Despite a little dust on the version number, i just can't tear myself away from this puppy...

I've been a lw user since 1995, and still am lovin' this tool. I've seen a lot of angst about lw updates (or lack thereof), and some even questioning ditching lw for other tools. My take on this is that lw is still a world-class app, and i'd recommend it as a part of every 3d animator's toolbox. Every tool has it's strong points, and lw has been, and always will be, one of my favs. My studio has several tools we use for a variety of projects (lw, c4d, maya, zbrush), but i always come back to lw as my core app. I just freakin' love it. And we still have some brilliant minds, like steve hurley, working to make lw even better and competitive.

Just wanted to put that out there, for any who are feeling a little low and thinking they have to go out and plunk some coin down on more expensive apps with hefty maintenance fees. Do what makes you happy. And lw makes me a very happy camper. :d

exactly!

c.1
05-29-2017, 08:43 PM
"Here's two rules I got for you,
Great ones for living under,
First don't sweat the little ****,
Second is there ain't no other."

DLR....No Big Ting

TreyX
05-29-2017, 11:26 PM
"Here's two rules I got for you,
Great ones for living under,
First don't sweat the little ****,
Second is there ain't no other."

I gotta get this tattooed on my back. lol. gonna get me a pint and hum this all night long...

Shawn Farrell
05-30-2017, 09:02 AM
http://www.trustmedia.tv/LightWaveSpeedEDITORB.jpg
:newtek::newtek::newtek::devil:

Shawn Farrell
05-30-2017, 09:07 AM
May LightWave reign 1000 YEARS! - SLF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89BbuArwxU&t=151s

:newtek::newtek::newtek:

Surrealist.
05-30-2017, 10:14 AM
I gotta rule. I use what works for me in any given situation. End of story. I feel if you are using software for any other reason, it is the wrong one.

Greenlaw
05-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Totally agreed!

I may be a big fan of LightWave and I rely on it heavily for 3D, but I'm hardly a purist when it comes to getting a job done on time and under budget.

TreyX
05-30-2017, 12:12 PM
I may be a big fan of LightWave and I rely on it heavily for 3D, but I'm hardly a purist when it comes to getting a job done on time and under budget.

true. c4d is awesome for motion graphics (i do a ton of video work & mg in my studio). its what works for the job, and works FAST. for me, the pleasure is in LW. maybe because i've used it for so long that it's become an extension of me as an artist. also, it's what you can DO with the app that matters. for big screen complex particle systems, houdini is the choice (especially in canada). realistic creature and character animation, you've got maya. motion graphics is C4D forte, and its integration into after effects makes it a key tool. for modeling (imho), i defer to LW, as well as for general scene animation. i think LW's UV beats the hell out of C4D, and I personally love LW's volumetric FX. i do hope that LW aligns a bit more with nvidia's CUDA cores in future releases, or offers a CUDA-based rendering option in addition to the LW default renderer (for this, I use Octane for now, but would be nice to integrate out of the box as maya has done with arnold renderer in the 2017 build).

but regardless, when i want to relax and truly enjoy my workflow off the clock, the app that always is at my fingertips is LW. i get pure joy from this app, and for personal projects and many client visualization projects (prototypes, architectural, mechanical, etc.), LW is the only option that works fast, provides pristine results, and gives me the flexibility i need to dazzle and impress. just my two coins...

TreyX
05-30-2017, 12:19 PM
thx for the synth inspiration and millennium rule, shawn! freakin' love it, dude! also dig the speedEDIT sugg. waaaaay kewl.

MonroePoteet
05-30-2017, 12:52 PM
thx for the synth inspiration and millennium rule, shawn! freakin' love it, dude! also dig the speedEDIT sugg. waaaaay kewl.

AFAIK, SpeedEDIT development has been discontinued by NewTek, at least as a standalone product. Perhaps they're continuing development for the TriCaster hardware, but I wouldn't get too attached to it on a standalone PC. I used it for quite a while, and really liked it (other than a few warts as with any software), but no further development? Too bad.

mTp

MichaelT
05-30-2017, 02:52 PM
I really hate it when perfectly good software just get dropped. If they don't want to use it, just include it with Lightwave. Tools like that are nuggets of gold for the small/indie etc.. developer. Not to mention is closes the gap on Blender. Actually, they should build things like that into LW, and directly compete with Blender. Taking every single piece of good idea that is in there.

Spinland
05-30-2017, 03:00 PM
I like this philosophy. I'm not into looking for future LW developments, I'm into making art (and money) with the tools I have right now. When killer new stuff comes out that I see a use for in my kit, then yoink. Until then, who cares? Well, not I, at least. Who has time or energy for all that naval gazing?

"Sorry, would-be client: I can't take your job because Lightwave hasn't been updated for years and I'm too emotional over that and the lack of info from LW3DG to deal with you right now."

Heh. Yeah. :devil:

These days with the 3rd Powers stuff being so damned good I hardly ever even use my sculpting apps for character stuff. If I do need that level of sculpting detail then I have no qualms about dragging out zBrush. LW has its place, as does every other weapon in my arsenal.

But you've heard all this from me before. :jam:

TreyX
05-30-2017, 03:35 PM
I really hate it when perfectly good software just get dropped. If they don't want to use it, just include it with Lightwave. Tools like that are nuggets of gold for the small/indie etc.. developer. Not to mention is closes the gap on Blender. Actually, they should build things like that into LW, and directly compete with Blender. Taking every single piece of good idea that is in there.

LW isnt far off, by reducing their price to a mere $695 on special. even C4D requires about $3500 in coin for Studio, and autodesk with their maintenance fees will burn a long-term hole in your budget year after year. on the flipside, in a way newtek's reduced price may be creating product envy in users' minds by a perceived devaluation: since it's so cheap, it isn't very good. far from it. but in today's consumer minds, you could put two identical products in front of them, one priced at $5,000, and another at $500, and then ask them which one is better. Based on price alone, 8 out of 10 will pick the higher priced product, equating cost with value. but newtek has always provided high value at low cost, and for that i respect them. and they've earned my loyalty. your point with blender fits here too -- a pretty cool app that's free and open source. for app anarchists, that's a dream come true.

from a marketing aspect, i think your small/indie design market is perfect for LW, and they should hammer that demographic aggressively. LW is affordable, robust, feature-rich, and produces outstanding results -- and you have sweet volumetric, dynamic, cloth, rigging, fluids and hair at your fingertips (just snagged squirt gun from hurley yesterday - really extends fluid dynamics capabilities). also, by supporting your indie developer who produce plugins to extend LW, and you have a very powerful toolset that can generate professional, broadcast-ready results. Newtek MUST update their website, tho. VERY outdated. they need a slick, contemporary online image. looks like they're still stuck in myspace. lol.

TreyX
05-30-2017, 03:38 PM
I like this philosophy. I'm not into looking for future LW developments, I'm into making art (and money) with the tools I have right now. When killer new stuff comes out that I see a use for in my kit, then yoink. Until then, who cares? Well, not I, at least. Who has time or energy for all that naval gazing?

"Sorry, would-be client: I can't take your job because Lightwave hasn't been updated for years and I'm too emotional over that and the lack of info from LW3DG to deal with you right now."

Heh. Yeah. :devil:

These days with the 3rd Powers stuff being so damned good I hardly ever even use my sculpting apps for character stuff. If I do need that level of sculpting detail then I have no qualms about dragging out zBrush. LW has its place, as does every other weapon in my arsenal.

But you've heard all this from me before. :jam:

well said, brutha. with you 100%.

GraphXs
05-30-2017, 07:47 PM
Yep Yep! I agree! Lightwave is an excellent tool, it has so many features and is pretty stable! For all the doom and gloom... they should instead try to learn something they haven't used/done in LW. I bet they would even find/do something cool or useful! Heck, go buy/get some plugin for it, so many great 3rd party tools available for it! It would take years to do/learn everything in LW! Go make something, and have fun doing it!

I'm glad I get to use LW day-in and day-out. I have yet to hit any major roadblocks with it, oh and it plays well with other: Max, Unity, Maya, 3D Coat, ZBrush!!! -Get'r Done! -LOVE IT!

JamesCurtis
05-30-2017, 10:59 PM
I've been using Lightwave since it days on the Amiga, and find it extremely useful in my work. I have probably made over $150,000.00 dollars over the last 8 years, and my work has been mainly on only a part-time basis doing machine and product simulations for numerous clients over the years.

I've had my share of really busy times, but I've always been able to deliver on time and for the most part on budget. If a project got expanded, I was able to renegotiate the price. I have had two video and marketing agencies as my general work supplier.

Spinland
05-31-2017, 04:04 AM
I've been using Lightwave since it days on the Amiga, and find it extremely useful in my work. I have probably made over $150,000.00 dollars over the last 8 years, and my work has been mainly on only a part-time basis doing machine and product simulations for numerous clients over the years.

I've had my share of really busy times, but I've always been able to deliver on time and for the most part on budget. If a project got expanded, I was able to renegotiate the price. I have had two video and marketing agencies as my general work supplier.

Ra-men! Preach it, brother! I'm currently doing more character stuff than is my usual gig (all on LW) but industrial/technical stuff is still my bread and butter and LW totally rocks that as well. From where I sit there's no problem. :jam:

Greenlaw
05-31-2017, 10:44 AM
This is a nice thread. :)

GraphXs
05-31-2017, 04:09 PM
Yep...need more "happy" Lightwave threads!

Spinland
05-31-2017, 06:29 PM
This is a nice thread. :)

Yep...need more "happy" Lightwave threads!

Yes, and yes. Life's too short to be stressing out over stuff you can't control and which doesn't materially affect your life anyway (unless you let it). I'd like to think everyone here is into making art, and although lots of art is informed by pain and angst, artistic expression is how I feel that should be vented, not by bellyaching. :jam:

TreyX
05-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Yes, and yes. Life's too short to be stressing out over stuff you can't control and which doesn't materially affect your life anyway (unless you let it). I'd like to think everyone here is into making art, and although lots of art is informed by pain and angst, artistic expression is how I feel that should be vented, not by bellyaching. :jam:

my thoughts exactly. i think most of us here in the LW community are indie producers. i'm proud of what we've done as a collective, and for me, it's all about artistry. even a technical spec can be elegant and beautiful, with well-placed lighting, texturing, and presentation. i always put my personal stamp on what i create, and want each piece to be something i am proud of. just finished a sweeeeet video production gig today for a healthcare company, and now my reward: two days of fun LW play in my down time before the next gig starts on saturday. want to put the petal to the metal on some new plugins and enjoy.

Spinland
06-01-2017, 03:04 AM
my thoughts exactly. i think most of us here in the LW community are indie producers. i'm proud of what we've done as a collective, and for me, it's all about artistry. even a technical spec can be elegant and beautiful, with well-placed lighting, texturing, and presentation. i always put my personal stamp on what i create, and want each piece to be something i am proud of. just finished a sweeeeet video production gig today for a healthcare company, and now my reward: two days of fun LW play in my down time before the next gig starts on saturday. want to put the petal to the metal on some new plugins and enjoy.

Are we twins separated at birth? Heh.

I do a lot of pre-viz and demo stuff for manufacturers of large/heavy machinery and other products where taking the item itself to a trade show isn't possible (or it doesn't exist yet). Part of the artistry is, as you say, lighting and scene blocking and good use of animated objects and cameras to bring out the inner magic of otherwise-boring hunks of metal and plastic.

As I've noted before, I'm also getting more and more into character animation and, to be brutally honest, I don't see the griping about LW as inadequate in that area. Maybe other packages offer enhancements here and there, but with the suite of available plugins plus some good old-fashioned creativity and elbow grease LW simply rocks at this. I could bring in another app, sure, and if it were value added to my pipeline I'd do so without hesitation—but I have yet to feel any need to. I'm happy, my clients are happy, and life is good. :beerchug:

TreyX
06-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Are we twins separated at birth? Heh.

I do a lot of pre-viz and demo stuff for manufacturers of large/heavy machinery and other products where taking the item itself to a trade show isn't possible (or it doesn't exist yet). Part of the artistry is, as you say, lighting and scene blocking and good use of animated objects and cameras to bring out the inner magic of otherwise-boring hunks of metal and plastic.

As I've noted before, I'm also getting more and more into character animation and, to be brutally honest, I don't see the griping about LW as inadequate in that area. Maybe other packages offer enhancements here and there, but with the suite of available plugins plus some good old-fashioned creativity and elbow grease LW simply rocks at this. I could bring in another app, sure, and if it were value added to my pipeline I'd do so without hesitationóbut I have yet to feel any need to. I'm happy, my clients are happy, and life is good. :beerchug:

we might be twins - i'm adopted. lol. i think you'd be the cooler one, tho, with ur musical talent. i could shatter glass with mine (and not in the ella fitzgerald way in the old memorex advert. haha!). as for character rigging and animation, that's always been an area i've deferred to others. i definitely lean in the area of modeling, texturing, layout/scene creation, lighting and technical animation. i remember a conversation i had with one of the jimmy neutron boy genius creators several years ago - they used lightwave for all creative aspects of the movie/series, and did the character animation/rendering in maya. for a lot of the collaborative projects i've worked on, that's also been the case.

speaking of making technical animation artistic, that's the approach i took for several years with boeing as one of my clients. i did some amazing prototype animation for (export controlled) homeland security-related systems they were developing. for these, even though they had an in-house maya pipeline, i did a standalone project 100% in LW for one engineering department that blew them away. in addition, i created entire, complex middle-east urban models for their animation team, who then imported these into maya and added character animation. many of the scenic shots, including UAV scenarios and IED explosive detonation FX, i did 100% in LW, then imported into after effects for more FX compositing. these projects all made their way into a presentation for the secretary of defense at the pentagon under a previous administration. i was very proud of this achievement, and LW actually may have helped in the securing of a contract that could save many lives - both civilian and military. i helped their team take technical animation into a very visually stunning direction during the 3 years i worked on these contracts - and my insistence to use LW as the primary modeling/design tool was a key factor. was a lot of fun! :)

Spinland
06-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Cool stuff, Trey! Sounds a lot like what I did for 8 years working for Northrop Grumman as a "Visualization Engineer" after I retired from the USAF. Rewarding work that I could see the immediate use for, and some of my stuff was interactive 3D control systems for cyber warfare; since my son is currently serving in the USAF as a cyber warfare guy he could end up using some of my work. How cool is that? :rock:

TreyX
06-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Cool stuff, Trey! Sounds a lot like what I did for 8 years working for Northrop Grumman as a "Visualization Engineer" after I retired from the USAF. Rewarding work that I could see the immediate use for, and some of my stuff was interactive 3D control systems for cyber warfare; since my son is currently serving in the USAF as a cyber warfare guy he could end up using some of my work. How cool is that? :rock:

very cool, brutha. and thank you and your son for your service. your sacrifice means a lot, and i say that from the heart. :) is a very rewarding thing to use your talents for good, and to know that maybe in some way, we've saved lives. I've never joined the service myself -- went into art school as soon as i graduated from high school, then launched my own studio shortly after. but at least i was part of the greater good by helping animate defense systems designed to take out a threat and protect boots on the ground... oh, did you read the article this week about france's take on cyber warfare? is believed that cyber warfare is already in the early stages. we're seeing that with some of the online security breaches across the globe, as well as hacking into election campaigns, etc. pretty sobering stuff! i'm starting a video production series for a client highlighting careers in skilled trades, including cyber security. it's the next frontier, and needs bright minds and talent to help defend us from major threats...

Surrealist.
06-02-2017, 10:18 AM
My dad served in WWII. Just an interesting co-relation for what it is worth. He was studying to be an engineer but changed his degree to journalism. When he joined the army he went to a photography school where he also learned filmmaking so that he could qualify to operate 16 mm cameras I presume. He wound up being stationed in Pakistan. There he headed a photo unit with a very interesting task. They would take all of the mail that came in in bundles and photograph it page by page with 16 mil film cameras. It would get developed and sent off in rolls of film. At its destination it would be printed and delivered as mail. It was called V Mail. (Victory Mail I presume). The idea was to reduce the space and cost of delivering mail.

The co-relation is that his training and background heavily influenced me growing up. He taught me the photography basics he learned. And with his background in engineering he also taught me the basics of drafting. So all of this would come to play especially as I got into filmmaking and then 3D.

So here I am as a 3D artist, making films. :)

And that process they did was more or less the analog version of what we have today in sending and receiving information as texts and emails. (as well as all of the other methods of transferring data) ;)

TreyX
06-03-2017, 05:32 PM
My dad served in WWII. Just an interesting co-relation for what it is worth. He was studying to be an engineer but changed his degree to journalism. When he joined the army he went to a photography school where he also learned filmmaking so that he could qualify to operate 16 mm cameras I presume. He wound up being stationed in Pakistan. There he headed a photo unit with a very interesting task. They would take all of the mail that came in in bundles and photograph it page by page with 16 mil film cameras. It would get developed and sent off in rolls of film. At its destination it would be printed and delivered as mail. It was called V Mail. (Victory Mail I presume). The idea was to reduce the space and cost of delivering mail.

The co-relation is that his training and background heavily influenced me growing up. He taught me the photography basics he learned. And with his background in engineering he also taught me the basics of drafting. So all of this would come to play especially as I got into filmmaking and then 3D.

So here I am as a 3D artist, making films. :)

And that process they did was more or less the analog version of what we have today in sending and receiving information as texts and emails. (as well as all of the other methods of transferring data) ;)

Wow! now that's a cool story, pal. :) sounds like your father was a true pioneer (and a patriot), and was way ahead of his time. it's amazing what ingenuity, drive, creativity and vision can accomplish. and it also demonstrates how traditional mediums such as drafting and film can set the foundation for a unique and creative approach to 3D, as you have experienced.

i was trained in illustration at the academy of art university back in the mid-late 80's. at that time, there were no computers for animation or design - i learned commercial art by painting in gouache, watercolor, acrylic, etc., getting my foundation in figure drawing, color theory, still life painting, and creating ad layouts on illustration board and blue pencil. i also learned animation the old fashioned way by painting on cells. lol. when i got out of school, i became a marketing assistant for top management at a couple luxury hotels in S.F., then started my own business in 1995 doing 3D design for the video game industry (using LightWave). like you, my original traditional art training has made me a better professional as i transitioned to digital content creation. and actually, making movies in LW got me into video production and filming, which is now a major part of my studio's business.

you made my day, brutha. inspired me. :)

toeknee
06-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Hey TrayX Thanks for the kind word about Lightwave. I still love it and use it every day along with Houdini, C4D, Blender, 3D Coat, Zbrush, And Substance Painter. I understand the negativity going on in the forums but it really does get old after a while. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

TreyX
06-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Hey TrayX Thanks for the kind word about Lightwave. I still love it and use it every day along with Houdini, C4D, Blender, 3D Coat, Zbrush, And Substance Painter. I understand the negativity going on in the forums but it really does get old after a while. Thanks for the breath of fresh air.

my pleasure, pal! thanks for the kind words. :) like you, i was getting a bit bummed with the product envy that became so pervasive. i truly believe that we LW artists are actually pioneers -- LW was the first to break into mainstream VFX for broadcast TV, and opened the doors to other apps down the road. lately, i've been going back and binge watching my fav LW FX shows: babylon 5, firefly, andromeda, battlestar galactica, roughnecks. it was amazing what ron thornton (rip) and foundation imaging did with the conceptual creation of the bab5 verse back then. the man was truly a genius - i consider him the father of modern broadcast 3d animation. it was bab5 that inspired me back in '95 to open my own studio. at the time, my choices for 3d packages were very limited -- 3d studio max, softimage, lightwave or electric image (the latter mac-only - automatically crossed off because i'm natively a pc guy). because of what i saw and adored from thornton, i immediately chose lightwave, and i've loved this app ever since. whenever i want to actually ENJOY my 3d downtime for pleasure creation, it is LW that i turn to. all of my studio's awards were received on LW-created projects, so for me, it's an award-winning app that consistently produces outstanding results! :)

jperk
06-04-2017, 02:55 PM
I want LWnext. Dont care how I want it now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZJ4cotUWc

TreyX
06-04-2017, 03:57 PM
I want LWnext. Dont care how I want it now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZJ4cotUWc

omg. i just squirted tea out of my nose laughing when i saw ur post. lmao!!! :D

Greenlaw
06-04-2017, 04:21 PM
Yes, I agree. The endless whining was getting demoralizing, and at times I felt like dropping out of this forum--it's more fun to use LightWave without the noise. Glad to find to find a thread for users here who enjoy using LightWave and who feel more optimistic about its future.

I've been using LightWave for film and TV productions, big and small, consistently since 1998. I think the only time we wavered was towards the end of LightWave 9.6. The team I was with back then came very close to switching completely over to another program but version 10 came out just in time to kept us faithful. By 11.5, we were glad to have stayed with it.

Even now, when I have other 3D programs available to me, LW2015 is the primary 3D program I use in both my personal and studio production work. 2015 has been a solid workhorse for me, and whenever 'Next' comes out, there's a good chance I'll be relying on that too.

jperk
06-04-2017, 04:32 PM
Yes, I agree. The endless whining was getting demoralizing, and at times I felt like dropping out of this forum--it's more fun to use LightWave without the noise. Glad to find to find a thread for users here who enjoy using LightWave and who feel more optimistic about it's future.

I've been using LightWave for film and TV productions, big and small, consistently since 1998. I think the only time we wavered was towards the end of LightWave 9.6. The team I was with back then came very close to switching completely over to another program but version 10 came out just in time to kept us faithful. By 11.5, we were glad to have stayed with it.

Even now, when I have other 3D programs available to me, LW2015 is the primary 3D program I use in both my personal and studio production work. 2015 has been a solid workhorse for me, and whenever 'Next' comes out, there's a good chance I'll be relying on that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9XHwmAojLw

Seriously though..I salute you Greenlaw.

Greenlaw
06-04-2017, 04:54 PM
:beerchug:

Spinland
06-05-2017, 05:12 AM
Yes, I agree. The endless whining was getting demoralizing, and at times I felt like dropping out of this forum--it's more fun to use LightWave without the noise. Glad to find to find a thread for users here who enjoy using LightWave and who feel more optimistic about its future.

Yassssssss.... :beerchug:

Ernest
06-05-2017, 07:16 AM
--it's more fun to use LightWave without the noise.

Speaking of using LW for great things, and speaking of deadlines... is the complete Brudders music video still on track for a 2017 release?

Nicolas Jordan
06-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Lightwave 2015 is still what I use to make my living but I'm really looking forward to a new version to see what tech will help me complete my work faster and hopefully at even higher quality. I have my money ready!

Greenlaw
06-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Speaking of using LW for great things, and speaking of deadlines... is the complete Brudders music video still on track for a 2017 release?

Mmmmmmmaybe...? :o

I've been working on the project in small fits and starts but, yeah, it's been too long and I can't wait to just get this thing over with.

FWIW, I cleaned and organized my work area this past weekend (trust me, that was a major big deal,) and I reactivated my iPi Mocap Studio license. I'll post a status report in the production log (link below) later this week--maybe that will help me get focused again.

Thanks for asking about it.

Spinland
06-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Lightwave 2015 is still what I use to make my living but I'm really looking forward to a new version to see what tech will help me complete my work faster and hopefully at even higher quality. I have my money ready!

+1 (and a whole bunch more)

I'm stoked about every enhancement I read about, and the sooner the better on the release date so far as I'm concerned...but that's a positive, looking-forward kind of emotion and not one laced with backlash if I don't get my way. My only entitlement in this regard is spelled out in the EULA. :jam:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and a well-deserved shout-out to the existing edge render and cel shade stuff. I just landed a gig doing animated commercials based on a hand-drawn character from the client's web site and, using those features, I was able to nail the look in 3D and we're gonna rock this. :rock:

Paul_Boland
06-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Lightwave 2015 is keeping me very busy!!

Surrealist.
06-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Wow! now that's a cool story, pal. :) sounds like your father was a true pioneer (and a patriot), and was way ahead of his time. it's amazing what ingenuity, drive, creativity and vision can accomplish. and it also demonstrates how traditional mediums such as drafting and film can set the foundation for a unique and creative approach to 3D, as you have experienced.

i was trained in illustration at the academy of art university back in the mid-late 80's. at that time, there were no computers for animation or design - i learned commercial art by painting in gouache, watercolor, acrylic, etc., getting my foundation in figure drawing, color theory, still life painting, and creating ad layouts on illustration board and blue pencil. i also learned animation the old fashioned way by painting on cells. lol. when i got out of school, i became a marketing assistant for top management at a couple luxury hotels in S.F., then started my own business in 1995 doing 3D design for the video game industry (using LightWave). like you, my original traditional art training has made me a better professional as i transitioned to digital content creation. and actually, making movies in LW got me into video production and filming, which is now a major part of my studio's business.

you made my day, brutha. inspired me. :)

I am glad my father's story was an inspiration. He was an interesting man for sure. Living life now without him to talk to about stuff, is different. It is empty in that regard. We used to talk about a lot of things over the years. And of all the many things I miss about having him around, that is the most. But it is how it goes, life is that way. He put in his time, all 95 years of it. On my bucket list is to write a script and get a film made based on his experiences in the army. 2 years before he passed I was encouraging him to write down all of his stories. And so there is a treasure trove of stuff there.

Me. I went on to study music in college when I realized I was not half as good as the other artists I knew at school. So I decided to focus on music which seemed to come a lot easier to me than mixing paint.. lol. I came to LW and 3D by way of filmmaking which I took up later.

My mother is still around. And she is working on her second book about her life as a child living in Arkansas and coming across America in the Great Depression.

It can be found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Annie-Poot-Childhood-Memories/dp/1425945163

Not selling it... lol. But it would make her day to get another tiny residual check... lol ;)

All that aside it really is a great read. And that is as unbiased as I can be. It really is great literature.

Spinland
06-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Wanted to add a special thanks to all the veteran family stories. My dad was a naval aviator in Viet Nam and it took him a very, very many years to get over what that place did to him, and to bury his buddies in his mind. I was the token Blue Boy in a family devoted to the Navy and the Marine Corps for generations; my son followed my footsteps and joined the USAF and while I was a traditional airborne warrior these days he does his fighting over Cyberspace. Crazy world we live in. I love it all the same. :jam: