PDA

View Full Version : X.3 & Graph Editor Work-Around... maybe..sort of

miguel446
12-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Everyone who's been forced to upgrade to Panther knows about the inability to work with the graph editor in Lightwave. Clicking in the curve window crashes the app right? Right. I've been working around it by doing the bulk of my work on my screaming new G5 and then jumping to my G4 (x.2) and tweaking the graph editor... however.

I've noticed that in x.3 with my graph editor open and one channel selected I can hit return to create a new key (or recreate a key if there is already on on that keyframe) and then I can edit the type of key it is or the behaviors, tensions etc etc, even adding expressions as needed.

JUST AS LONG AS I DON'T CLICK in the window it's all good.

Hopefully most of you have avoided the upgrade until 8, but like me some of you may not have had a choice and this is about as good a relief as you can ask for at this point.... or is there a patch I don't know about?

M

wapangy
12-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Also try cmd-drag to select a pointy thing instead of clicking on it directly, that combined with only one channel is actually pretty stable for me.

NonPlanar
12-21-2003, 08:40 PM
...and, of course, once you have one point selected by cmb-drag (or left drag) you can always use the right and left arrows to cycle to the next or previous keyframes...

mlinde
12-22-2003, 08:25 AM
There are also LScript commands that access the GE controls (Tension/Continuity/Bias), I've been meaning to look into it, just been busy.

Maybe I'll try to put together a Mac OS 10.3.x - Lightwave 7.5 Christmas present...

miguel446
12-22-2003, 09:27 AM
That'd be pretty sweet!

Love these work-arounds...you can't stop a determined mac-head!

M

Chazz
12-22-2003, 12:54 PM
You guys are pretty lucky...if I even move the pointer into the main graph editor window...down she goes.

miguel446
12-22-2003, 12:56 PM
Maybe it's your configuration...

I'm on:

G5 dual 2 ghz
3 gb ram
ATI 9600 Pro card
Lightwave 7.5c

Chazz
12-23-2003, 09:41 AM
Actually, I have the same setup as you...minus a gig of RAM ;)

The moment I hover over a key...BOOM

wapangy
12-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by mfessenden

The moment I hover over a key...BOOM

Yeah its the key thing, thats why you should try the cmd-drag thing, you can select a key without going right over it.

miguel446
12-23-2003, 10:53 AM
I've had limited success with the cmd drag trick. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. Keying right and left to select different keys works great though.

Won't be long before the next release hits...

m

wapangy
12-23-2003, 10:54 AM
Personally, I've just been spending most of my time in the modeler as a good fix. :)

ateale
12-30-2003, 01:17 AM
yeah i'm having the same problems on my 1.42 ghz mac with 2 GB ram and 10.3.2
this is a really pain in the ***!
any ideas if newtek is doing anything about this?

heynewt
01-08-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi,

I've just begun using LW on a new G5 2.0 with Panther, and I'm having the graph editor issues. Could you be more specific about exactly how you're working around this. I'm a Mac neophyte, been on Windows LW for years, so I don't know a lot of the Mac commands.

Thanks

Robert Newton

Originally posted by miguel446
I've had limited success with the cmd drag trick. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't. Keying right and left to select different keys works great though.

Won't be long before the next release hits...

m

miguel446
01-08-2004, 12:08 PM
First of all, DON'T ever move your timeline marker while the graph editor is open. The current key indicator moving in the graph editor seems to be a BIG element in causing the crash. So you have to open and close the graph editor a lot.

What I do is move my key indicator to the frame that I want a key on or where there is already a key; then I open the graph editor and hit return to either place a key or to activate the key on my current frame. Once the key is hilighted in the graph editor you can use your right and left arrow keys to select different keyframes and then you can easily change their Incoming Curve mode, Tension, Continuity, Bias etc. I've even had limited success (sometimes it work sometime it don't) changing the bezier handles.

There has been some mention of being able to Command Click and Dragging to select keys. This has only worked for me a couple of times and I don't rely on it with any great consisitency.

This work-around is something that I use for little tweaks and clean-ups. When I've got a ton of Graph Editor work to do I will save out the file and open it on my other mac (slower but still has 10.2).

Hope this helps some.

m

heynewt
01-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Yes, that helps a LOT! Thanks for explaining that work-around.

Robert Newton