PDA

View Full Version : Broken Graph Editor

stiff paper
05-28-2017, 04:33 AM
Hi.

I have a question, and if somebody with the latest LW could answer it I'd be grateful -

Did they ever fixed the graph editor that they broke after 9.6?

Specifically: it always used to work just like every other 3D package. If you have a curve in the graph editor with, say, six points (doesn't matter how many, just a few) then when you select the points and convert their types between Linear, TCB and Bezier the shape of the curve is maintained.

So if you set the points to Linear then convert them to Bezier, the shape of the curve is still linear, exactly as it was with the Linear points, but you now have Bezier handles and can adjust the linear-ness.

Also, if you set all the points to TCB and get an automatically smoothed curve, you can then convert the points to Bezier, keep the same curve shape but now have bezier handles to adjust it with.

It's shocking that they could break this. It means nobody involved understands how animators work with Graph Editors. Want to make some tiny tweaks to your animation that's been done with Linear? Yeah. No. If you want to "Bezier" adjust those curves to knock them slightly off completely linear you're screwed. And "screwed" is a very polite word to use. Changing to Bezier WILL DESTROY YOUR ENTIRE ANIMATION.

I'm just curious. Mainly because it's a deal breaker. If you animate you have to use a different package.

And to be clear: THIS USED TO WORK.

Kaptive
05-28-2017, 06:19 AM
Well, it would seem to do as you are saying. But it's barely a deal breaker is it?
If I'm reviewing an animation and one little aspect of it isn't quite right, I'll go in and adjust that single point. I can't say as I've ever expected it to retain the previous state if converting from linear to another type... why? Because a bezier curve converted from linear means the adjustment spots sit directly on the point... so how do you grab the correct one handle to alter it?

I've been animating in LW for a long time, and this has never been an issue... not even an occasional frustration actually. Weird. I'd certainly not be needing to go to another package to animate. But hey, different horses for different courses. I'd suggest using a different package if LW doesn't fit your workflow. It sounds as though you have very specific needs, or do particular types of animation?

RebelHill
05-29-2017, 07:57 AM
I was sure it worked since 9.6, but certainly seems to be as you say in 2015.3

Bug it.

Matt
05-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Just tried this in a competing application. Works exactly as 2015.3

Not sure how you adjust the linearness as you say, I tried 8.5 which does what you said, as soon as I adjust the handles it starts to pull it out into a curve, no longer linear.

RebelHill
05-30-2017, 04:54 PM
ofc it goes to a curve when u pull on the handle... it is a bezier. Point is, that rather than have to go through adjusting all the handles manually, it used to be possible to just rough in a curve using tcb, lin, etc... then convert to bezier and you'd have a nice setup already, you could then tweak individual handles as necessary.

It was a time saver, now its an added pain.

stiff paper
05-31-2017, 02:09 AM
Thank you R.H.

I really mean that. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the fact that nobody even understands what I'm talking about makes me suspect there are now just two of us left who've ever done a properly substantial amount of animating in LW. That's a sad feeling.

Also, I definitely noticed it was broken in 11.5 (I just searched for and found the thread here with my original complaint, dated 2013). That means nobody anywhere has had a problem with it since 2013. So, yeah, sad.

And I can't bug it; I don't have anything like a recent version of LW. I mean, really, nothing like recent. I was using 11.5 where I was working at the time.

LW3DG! Please read this bit:-
Look, I know LW has never been a big player in character animation, but in almost every way it's much more capable now than it's ever been before. The thing is, if you knew a bunch of professional C.A. guys you could ask them and they'd tell you that they aren't going to work with LW when the graph editor is missing the most basic functionality like this (functionality it used to have!) They'd do the animation in Maya and mdd it across. If you want LW to be seen as at least usable by pros (and that's a good idea, right?), then this stuff has to be there. Everything else out there does this. It's basic functionality. You have to be able to change the interpolation type without completely destroying everything. Please fix this. It used to work.

creacon
05-31-2017, 03:46 AM
As far as CA in LW goes that is just one little aspect of the problem.
You can't force LW3DG to put CA as a priority, but it wouldn't be a bad idea, since there are very few (good) alternatives for Maya.

creacon

stiff paper
05-31-2017, 03:53 AM
Yes, I know, but this is something that used to work that they've broken.

allabulle
05-31-2017, 04:18 AM
When animating complex camera moves, and even more when rigged to emulate cranes et al, it's also annoying. Not just useful for character animation, see?

Ztreem
05-31-2017, 04:21 AM
Thank you R.H.

I really mean that. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the fact that nobody even understands what I'm talking about makes me suspect there are now just two of us left who've ever done a properly substantial amount of animating in LW. That's a sad feeling.

Also, I definitely noticed it was broken in 11.5 (I just searched for and found the thread here with my original complaint, dated 2013). That means nobody anywhere has had a problem with it since 2013. So, yeah, sad.

And I can't bug it; I don't have anything like a recent version of LW. I mean, really, nothing like recent. I was using 11.5 where I was working at the time.

LW3DG! Please read this bit:-
Look, I know LW has never been a big player in character animation, but in almost every way it's much more capable now than it's ever been before. The thing is, if you knew a bunch of professional C.A. guys you could ask them and they'd tell you that they aren't going to work with LW when the graph editor is missing the most basic functionality like this (functionality it used to have!) They'd do the animation in Maya and mdd it across. If you want LW to be seen as at least usable by pros (and that's a good idea, right?), then this stuff has to be there. Everything else out there does this. It's basic functionality. You have to be able to change the interpolation type without completely destroying everything. Please fix this. It used to work.

I agree 1000%. I didn't know of this feature but I understand the value of it and have missed it in projects I've been working on without knowing it should be there.
Its sounds like a super workflow enhancement and there is no excuse to not implement it as it already has been there before. Please LW3DG fix this ASAP!

Ztreem
05-31-2017, 04:27 AM
I just tested C4D R17 and it seems to do it the LW2015 way, but LW should be better than that!

Marander
05-31-2017, 11:59 AM
I just tested C4D R17 and it seems to do it the LW2015 way, but LW should be better than that!

Yes it does convert it to splines as expected but you can easily set the tangents back to 0 (with one click), I don't see a problem (maybe I don't understand it correctly). I guess a pro user would even have a better method.

See in the screenshots
1) Linear curves
2) Switch to Spline (of course possible for all or only selected)
3) Disable Auto-Weighting and set tangents to Zero Length (click on the Zero Length icon) --> this should be the result you're looking for
4) Restore tangent for where it's required with the Weighting option, adjust tangent handles etc.

5+6) For better understanding of the icons: F-Curves default palette with text and my custom F-Curves palette / context menu.

So if you compare screenshot 1) with Linear and 3) with Splines, they look the same to me.

In C4D it just works as expected with the same navigation and shortcuts as everywhere else, working undo, mouse and keyboard selection also on the channels list, auto overshoot remove, snapping, create. view and restore snapshots (in LW very limited possible with the footprint), proper working ease-in/out, markers and with many more options available.

This LW TCB panel is so 1990 style and not artist friendly. How can I even easily adjust the tangents for one or multiple keyframes without entering values for TCB? The context menu is a joke, when several points are selected it works only on one point and ignores the rest. When I click on the wrong place I loose the whole selection. Does CTRL+Z work for restoring the selection? Of course not. Heck not even normal undo operations work. Using LWs dropdown menus require always one click more and because I cannot dock the Graph panel where I want I constantly have to move it around in the viewport. Can I have multiple Graph Editors open the same time? Solo mode? Rename channels? Animation Layers? Takes? I don't think so. We are not even talking about the DopeSheet yet or the Scene Manager.

So yes, the Graph Editor is broken like many other things too in LW.

1) 136959 2) 136952 3) 136953 4) 136954 5) 136955 6) 136956

stiff paper
05-31-2017, 12:48 PM
Yes it does convert... (snip!)
Thanks for that. So C4D simply has a different way of achieving the same thing.

Which puts us back where we started, which is pointing out that LW no longer has any way to achieve this because a programmer deleted the functionality in the 11.5 version.

Ztreem
05-31-2017, 01:00 PM
I don't think it only set the beizer handle to zero as c4d but I can be wrong as I don't have LW 8 or 9 installed anymore. I thought it set the beizer handles to point at the next point and previous point and made a linear curve that way. Then it would be a nice feature, but there are roon for alot more improvements as well.

Ztreem
06-01-2017, 03:19 AM
I just tested LW 9.6 and it does it like LW 2015.

I would love if it would work like this (see attached pic -> no.3) or if there was a button to press to make the bezier handles to adjust to the linear curve. This may call for a feature request together with a few more features for the graph editor.

stiff paper
06-01-2017, 10:12 AM

No. It absolutely, definitely, 100% does not. You are mistaken.

Might I suggest, politely, that you don't understand what I've been saying?

- Make a null. Move it around and make some keyframes so it has a curvy path.
- Go into the Graph Editor and select all the points on one of the curves (or all the curves - doesn't matter) and change their type to Linear (if you haven't changed the default incoming curve type in the options then they'll start out as TCB). You should now have a normal looking linear curve, all straight lines point to point.
- With all the points still selected, now change the points' type to Bezier.
- In 9.6 the curve will still be the linear shape, but you'll have bezier handles for adjustments.
- In 11.5 or later your curve will be an actively unhelpful mess that you have to spend 20 minutes adjusting to get it back to something like a linear shape.

Ztreem
06-01-2017, 10:43 AM
No. It absolutely, definitely, 100% does not. You are mistaken.

Might I suggest, politely, that you don't understand what I've been saying?

- Make a null. Move it around and make some keyframes so it has a curvy path.
- Go into the Graph Editor and select all the points on one of the curves (or all the curves - doesn't matter) and change their type to Linear (if you haven't changed the default incoming curve type in the options then they'll start out as TCB). You should now have a normal looking linear curve, all straight lines point to point.
- With all the points still selected, now change the points' type to Bezier.
- In 9.6 the curve will still be the linear shape, but you'll have bezier handles for adjustments.
- In 11.5 or later your curve will be an actively unhelpful mess that you have to spend 20 minutes adjusting to get it back to something like a linear shape.

Yes, I did exactly as you said and when I changed back from linear to bezier I got a smooth curve again.

stiff paper
06-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Yes, I did exactly as you said and when I changed back from linear to bezier I got a smooth curve again.

In 9.6. Pfft.

Congratulations. You have a very special version of LW 9.6 and there isn't another one in the entire Universe like it.

If you believe that 9.6 is giving you smoothed curves when you change interpolation from Linear to Bezier then you're doing something wrong. In order to get smoothed curves in 9.6 when you change from Linear to Bezier you first have to change to either TCB or Hermite to automatically smooth the curve and then change to Bezier so that the Bezier points can inherit the smoothing.

This really isn't something that's up for debate. If you aren't seeing the behavior I describe then you're doing something wrong.

Either that or you're trolling. (It's a forum. It can be difficult to tell.)

Ztreem
06-01-2017, 01:32 PM
In 9.6. Pfft.

Congratulations. You have a very special version of LW 9.6 and there isn't another one in the entire Universe like it.

If you believe that 9.6 is giving you smoothed curves when you change interpolation from Linear to Bezier then you're doing something wrong. In order to get smoothed curves in 9.6 when you change from Linear to Bezier you first have to change to either TCB or Hermite to automatically smooth the curve and then change to Bezier so that the Bezier points can inherit the smoothing.

This really isn't something that's up for debate. If you aren't seeing the behavior I describe then you're doing something wrong.

Either that or you're trolling. (It's a forum. It can be difficult to tell.)

I downloaded it today and installed it just to test just this method because I'm curious how it looks and behaves in older versions, sounds like a good workflow as you describe it but it didn't work that way for me, that's all I can say.

stiff paper
06-01-2017, 01:43 PM
I've had a thought: are you using the Mac version?

Ztreem
06-01-2017, 02:28 PM
I've had a thought: are you using the Mac version?

No. 64bit win 7

stiff paper
06-01-2017, 04:51 PM

Okay.

So the above attachment is a 1.75MB mp4 of the way the 9.6 Graph Editor used to work. It shows me converting points from linear to bezier and from hermite to bezier, with the bezier points keeping the previous curve shape for both of the other types.

You cannot do this from 11.5 onwards because it is broken.

Ztreem
06-01-2017, 05:08 PM

Okay.

So the above attachment is a 1.75MB mp4 of the way the 9.6 Graph Editor used to work. It shows me converting points from linear to bezier and from hermite to bezier, with the bezier points keeping the previous curve shape for both of the other types.

You cannot do this from 11.5 onwards because it is broken.

Cool! Its exactly as I thought and hoped it would work, as I showed in my mockup images. This feature is really useful and should be brought back. I hope LW3DG sees this. Have you made a bug report on this?

creacon
06-02-2017, 03:05 AM
You guys should check out this thread:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?153467-Curve-editor

Then open up a node editor, add a curve node, and change from linear to bezier, and then start crying....

creacon

Matt
06-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Yep, I get the same.

8.5 is the last version I have installed that keeps the tangents when converting to Bezier from Linear.

stiff paper
06-02-2017, 10:58 AM
8.5 is the last version I have installed that keeps the tangents when converting to Bezier from Linear.
This is incredibly bizarre to me. I used 9.6 in production for years and it always worked. And when I say "In production" I mean at several FX houses and TV production companies.

I'm never going to understand why a programmer would remove useful, working functionality.

Oh well. I tried.

Matt
06-02-2017, 11:08 AM
This is incredibly bizarre to me. I used 9.6 in production for years and it always worked. And when I say "In production" I mean at several FX houses and TV production companies.

I'm never going to understand why a programmer would remove useful, working functionality.

Oh well. I tried.

You don't know if it was "removed" for no reason of whether it's just a bug.

And 9.6.1 definitely does not keep tangents linear.

Also, I see NO report on this. No report = no fix.

DuneBoy
06-02-2017, 11:18 AM

This likely broke as the result of a bug fix. The fix was tested and approved, and any knock-on effects weren't immediately noticed.

Matt
06-02-2017, 11:39 AM
And 9.6.1 definitely does not keep tangents linear..

AHA! Changed / broken in 9.6.1, you're using 9.6

Matt
06-02-2017, 01:03 PM
Ken and I have been looking into this change.

It wasn't broken by a bug, this was a deliberate change that came by way of a feature request from other artists. I suspected this might be the case.

LightWave's Graph Editor used to default to broken tangent handles for Beziers, reports came in by users disliking this (character animators I should add) so it was changed.

Now here we are (years later) with someone wanting it the opposite way.

stiff paper
06-02-2017, 01:27 PM
It wasn't broken by a bug, this was a deliberate change that came by way of a feature request from other artists. I suspected this might be the case.

LightWave's Graph Editor used to default to broken tangent handles for Beziers, reports came in by users disliking this (character animators I should add) so it was changed.

Oh for...

If you want to "repair" tangent handles in 9.6 you convert to TCB and then convert to bezier. Hey presto, locked tangent handles that are EXACTLY THE SAME AS IT DOES NOW. If this is what you always want then set the incoming curves type to TCB and then when you open the graph editor just convert everything to bezier. IT TAKES LITERALLY THREE SECONDS. Dealing with the results of how it is now can take... well... it depends how much animation you have to do. Potentially hours.

So LW was deliberately broken on the say-so of some idiot artists somewhere who didn't have a clue how to properly use it. That's just great.

I'm stopping this now. If I want to animate I'll just have to do it in Maya.

Matt
06-02-2017, 01:32 PM
So LW was deliberately broken on the say-so of some idiot artists somewhere who didn't have a clue how to properly use it. That's just great.

And they might same the same back. So who's right?

Snosrap
06-02-2017, 01:41 PM
This there anyway to make it an "option" in the options panel?

Matt
06-02-2017, 01:43 PM
This there anyway to make it an "option" in the options panel?

Well, exactly. I was going to suggest the very thing, but as he's going to go use Maya now, is there any point!

Don't mean to sound sarcastic, but was hoping to get a resolution that met the needs of all, wasn't quite expecting the response I got.

gar26lw
06-02-2017, 02:13 PM
this is why it's always good to have an option and not one or the other.
i think it should be fixed. people say they are going to use something else out of frustration hoping that it's going to make the devs sit up and take notice. as a user you are powerless to affect change if the devs just don't understand how very small things and quirks can be huge time sinks and deal breakers in production.
i started another thread mentioning that ux and bugs should be corrected in a patch while waiting for next. this is a great example of why people end up moving to something else out of frustration with these issues.
i hope it can be fixed

stiff paper
06-02-2017, 02:37 PM
And they might same the same back. So who's right?
Really? When there's already an easy and instant solution to their "problem" built into the way LW has always worked and when the "solution" to this problem that doesn't exist is to delete useful functionality then plainly they are the ones in the wrong.

More than that, somebody in LW dev should have said "No. You're supposed to do this. It works like this." And then, if pushed, they should have added a new button called "fix tangent handles" or somesuch that converted any selected points into TCB and then back to bezier to help out the poor little artists who couldn't manage it unaided. (Either that or they could actually have done a bunch of new code and added a button/flag called... er... "fix tangent handles" that made bezier always produce locked handles when checked.)

What was actually done to "fix" the utterly nonexistent problem validates my "Why would any programmer remove..." comment upthread. Functionality was wholesale deleted for spurious reasons.

If you look back at my posting history (although it's probably too long to, now) you'll find I've been pro LightWave for years, but that isn't the same thing as being uncomplaining about things that are straightforwardly wrong.

I did two TV commercials in 11.5 and cursed the graph editor the whole time because of this issue. I complained about it in 2013 in this thread:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135168-Lightwave-11-5-Extremely-BUGGY!!!!-Need-these-issues-fixed

And all because some artist somewhere who didn't understand how LW worked was listened to.

---

Also -and this really is my final word on this- I'm not saying I'll use something else in order to get a rise out the devs. I've been using Maya on and off for a good long while. I'm saying I'll use something else because it will work. I would like LW to work; it has long been my favorite 3D software to use, but if those devs are going to make big changes based on what people who don't know what they're doing ask for... well then it's almost impossible to keep the faith.

MichaelT
06-02-2017, 03:07 PM
So if I get this right.. you want to have a linear curve be changed to something else (like a bezier) and have it look like a linear still? Then edit that to "soften" the linear curve? And then go back again? .. Then bake the curve. It would be very hard for any tool (including Maya) to respect different curves, and still allow changing types between edits.

Matt
06-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Really? When there's already an easy and instant solution to their "problem" built into the way LW has always worked and when the "solution" to this problem that doesn't exist is to delete useful functionality then plainly they are the ones in the wrong.

That works for en-masse converting, but if they worked with Bezier splines and are adding keys your solution would be a massive annoyance to them. So while for you the change is wrong, to them it may be right, hence why an option would have been the better solution.

People use LightWave in all manner of ways, you have to respect others wishes if you want your own to be respected also.

DuneBoy
06-02-2017, 03:16 PM
So what have we learned from this thread? The forums are not an efficient bug reporting method, they're great for sorting out "hey, is this a bug?" and such. But at the end of the day we need reports, that's the most direct way to get something addressed.

And what kind of things make for a good report?
"This is broken I hates it, go fix it numbskull!"
Not likely. Instead, things like:

Clear instructions for reproducing the issue, that video in this case would have been an excellent addition.
Information about when (if ever) the feature had worked as desired, and when it first failed. By seeing that 9.6 worked, but 9.6.1 failed, that greatly narrowed the search.
Realize that, in the case of a changed behaviour, others might rely on the existing mode of operation. So thinking of solutions that can give us the best of both worlds doesn't hurt.

"But this thread got some devs' attention, so it worked!"
Only because it's Friday and I'm waiting on builds. I wouldn't rely on those conditions.

MichaelT
06-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Also, if this is about following some surface, then you can simply attach a null to that surface, and drag it along that. The surface can be changed in many ways... including using a brush.

Ztreem
06-02-2017, 07:19 PM
The best thing is if we could add this functionality as an option. There are a lot of other features that needs to be added to beziers in the graph editor but that will come as a feature request in the proper way.

pinkmouse
06-03-2017, 02:37 AM
Frankly. all this says to me is that LW3DG should be much better at updating version change notes so we know this stuff is happening...

lardbros
06-05-2017, 06:52 AM

More than that, somebody in LW dev should have said "No. You're supposed to do this. It works like this." And then, if pushed, they should have added a new button called "fix tangent handles" or somesuch that converted any selected points into TCB and then back to bezier to help out the poor little artists who couldn't manage it unaided. (Either that or they could actually have done a bunch of new code and added a button/flag called... er... "fix tangent handles" that made bezier always produce locked handles when checked.)

What was actually done to "fix" the utterly nonexistent problem validates my "Why would any programmer remove..." comment upthread. Functionality was wholesale deleted for spurious reasons.

If you look back at my posting history (although it's probably too long to, now) you'll find I've been pro LightWave for years, but that isn't the same thing as being uncomplaining about things that are straightforwardly wrong.

I did two TV commercials in 11.5 and cursed the graph editor the whole time because of this issue. I complained about it in 2013 in this thread:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135168-Lightwave-11-5-Extremely-BUGGY!!!!-Need-these-issues-fixed

And all because some artist somewhere who didn't understand how LW worked was listened to.

---

Also -and this really is my final word on this- I'm not saying I'll use something else in order to get a rise out the devs. I've been using Maya on and off for a good long while. I'm saying I'll use something else because it will work. I would like LW to work; it has long been my favorite 3D software to use, but if those devs are going to make big changes based on what people who don't know what they're doing ask for... well then it's almost impossible to keep the faith.

I think just being polite and respectful may have got what you wanted...
Also, as Ken says... report it when you notice it? Rule number 1! If it's still not reported, it still won't get fixed!

Frankly. all this says to me is that LW3DG should be much better at updating version change notes so we know this stuff is happening...

I bet it was in the notes, but some stuff just flies past people's noses. This was a VERY long time ago too.

Heck, I have had tonnes of my reports fixed!!! If you don't ask, you don't get... but it has to be official, and done by raising a report.

VirtualFM
06-13-2017, 08:31 AM
I confess I fail to see what the fuss is about this!

Personally, if I animate anything in "linear" mode it's either an incredible mistake or I REALLY want to make something with a very specific look, like a robotic movement, or a "people-who-didn't-know-how-to-animate-a-camera-in-3DSMax-in-the-90's" look! I actually find it a bless to quickly pose something and then switch to TCB or Bezier and have an automatic smooth curve (that I can tweak if i want).

Anyway, I tried it out and it seems you can achieve what you want by selecting the curves, change them to "Stepped" (instead of "Linear") and then to "Bezier". Unfortunately in the curves editor the display is not correct, but if you look at the item's path in the viewport you will see that it will have a linear path between keyframes, and not smoothed.

You can test this by:
- making a bunch of keyframes
- go to the graph editor
- select all points/curves
- switch the Incoming Curve to Linear (just that you can see the linear path ion the viewport)
- switch the incoming Curve to Stepped (it will only show the keyframes in the viewport but with the same path as with Linear)
- switch to Bezier (the curve editor will not look like what you want, but the path in the viewport will remain Linear as before)

Will that help?

allabulle
06-13-2017, 09:08 AM
And yet sometimes it would be pretty useful. Having it as an option, as stated before, would be most welcome.

gar26lw
12-18-2017, 03:09 AM
So what have we learned from this thread? The forums are not an efficient bug reporting method, they're great for sorting out "hey, is this a bug?" and such. But at the end of the day we need reports, that's the most direct way to get something addressed.

And what kind of things make for a good report?
"This is broken I hates it, go fix it numbskull!"
Not likely. Instead, things like:

Clear instructions for reproducing the issue, that video in this case would have been an excellent addition.
Information about when (if ever) the feature had worked as desired, and when it first failed. By seeing that 9.6 worked, but 9.6.1 failed, that greatly narrowed the search.
Realize that, in the case of a changed behaviour, others might rely on the existing mode of operation. So thinking of solutions that can give us the best of both worlds doesn't hurt.

"But this thread got some devs' attention, so it worked!"
Only because it's Friday and I'm waiting on builds. I wouldn't rely on those conditions.

i think this is an old thread but i just read this. great advice. is there a limit to the size of videos to upload?
some preferred method of upload, a link to the vid, preferred format?

ElusiveElephant
12-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Sometimes I upload non-public or hidden YouTube videos links.
I actually think the file limit is something like 15 megabytes. That's for any content and videos, total size.

jeric_synergy
12-25-2017, 11:01 AM
How long did it take for this to come up?

If it's been flying under the radar this long, it doesn't seem to have bugged many people.

gar26lw
08-11-2018, 01:33 PM
could be like the orig poster says; nobody animates in lw anymore.

i think it’s still worth being an option.