PDA

View Full Version : ShatteredGlass

precedia
05-25-2017, 05:00 PM
I posted this article on Medium.com, "ShatteredGlass: Information Sharding and the Cloud (https://medium.com/@daniel.lanovaz/shatteredglass-information-sharding-and-the-cloud-49146dff330e)" which includes a prototype poster I animated in LightWave using Bullet.

Does anyone have references on how I can use LightWave's fracturing to make the poster look more like, well, shattered glass?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

P.S. Shamelessly, I managed to include two spherie renderings done in LightWave and plug my article, "Spherie: 360 Spherical Media Meets the Oxford English Dictionary (https://medium.com/@daniel.lanovaz/spherie-d0bb324279c3)" at the end of the ShatteredGlass article.

MonroePoteet
05-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Two basic things right off the bat: first, glass doesn't usually shatter in squares and homogeneously as your object does. Safety glass will shatter in tiny little squares, but most glass will shatter in shards, which are sharp like knives. Second, glass is transparent and reflective, while your object just has the image mapped onto it and has no transparency from what I can tell.

To make the glass shatter more in shards, you can use Modeler Fracture and put geometry in a background layer to focus the fracturing. Attached is a sample scene and object which was created by putting a sphere in the background layer for the Fracture to focus the fracturing toward the center. The glass surface of the shattering glass object is 95% transparent and 80% reflective.

I then set the backdrop color to match your poster (black sky, red nadir), created a 100% luminous poster of your image behind the glass, and shattered the glass with a Bullet Kinetic collision object and Static ground plane to keep the glass from falling under gravity (both are disabled and hidden in the Scene Editor). I think having the poster behind the shattering glass may work better to keep the text of the poster intact rather than using it as a surface on the glass or being reflected in the glass as it shattered, but may be worth experimenting.

mTp

prometheus
05-26-2017, 07:34 AM
This might help..follow it through..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqexUbvLTxg

precedia
05-26-2017, 01:00 PM
MonroePoteet, thank you for the feedback and files; greatly appreciated.

Prometheus, thank you for a reference to Rob's very helpful Shattered Glass tutorial (and aptly named).

Greenlaw
05-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Here's a quick and dirty 'Lunchtime Tutorial'. You'll want to experiment with this to get exactly the look you want.

First, make your pane. Be sure to give it enough divisions so Fracture can work with it properly.

In another layer, create a cone and flatten it.

Appy Jitter. Option: flatten it or leave it as is.

136892 136891

Kill the polys (optional) and delete points or move them around to get the pattern you want. (The default might be okay. Try it.)

Continued in next post...

Greenlaw
05-26-2017, 02:48 PM
...continued from previous post.

Apply Fracture with the points as your backround object. Try these settings for example:

It should look like this

136896 136895

You can get a lot of interesting and more credible looks with a few tweaks, so be sure to experiment with different shapes and settings.

Another fun trick is to squash or stretch the object before shattering and then un-transform it after. I've been able to simulate splintering wood with that trick. (I think I have an early test of that technique from when Fracture and Bullet first came out for LightWave on one of my YouTube pages.)

And that ends today's 'Lunchtime Tutorial'. Have fun breaking stuff. :)

Greenlaw
05-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Bonus points: If you don't mind doing it manually, you can also get nice long curving shards by using spheres to slice the object.

To save time, you can even combine these techniques.

precedia
05-30-2017, 04:10 PM
To save time, you can even combine these techniques.

Greenlaw, thank you for the lunchtime tutorial, your time and knowledge is appreciated.

precedia
05-30-2017, 04:13 PM
I am still working on the shattered glass poster. In the interim, I posted part 2 of the series on ShatteredGlass which includes more LightWave 3D renderings.

ShatteredGlass: Information Sharding and the Cloud (Part 2) (https://medium.com/@daniel.lanovaz/shatteredglass-information-sharding-and-the-cloud-part-2-ba2f121b3547)

This article is a little more geeky-technical, but the images look cool. ;-)

Daniel