PDA

View Full Version : batch render solution alternative to render-Q as plugin?

3dworks
05-24-2017, 03:31 PM
is there any non LWSN based alternative batch render solution for LW?

the reason i'm asking is because currently we cannot render octane render scenes with local LWSN nodes and networked GPU's, as LWSN will use only the local machine GPU. until there is a fix for this, batch rendering octane scenes with networked GPU's is seriously limited. the only solution i could find was using the render-Q script, but it has big limitations. apparently it is broken when using more than 2 scenes with external render engines - it will just crash after scene number 2. also, you can't reorganise, add or remove batched files in the sequence list while it is rendering.

any ideas / solutions? i'm still mac based, btw.

cheers

markus

Gungho3D
05-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Here Markus - try this, works a treat.

It's a .ls simple script file, just fill in the blanks.

You can chain a whole series of different scenes together from different folders etc, come back in the morning and presto, all done.

Things to do:
- do a dry run FIRST to ensure your scene(s) all load properly - i.e. for this, just comment out the "RenderScene()" line
- ensure either the correct camera is selected on save, or ...
- ... that only the camera you want to render with is in the scene
- from memory this process does respect camera switching within a scene (via the LW plugin which enables that)
- note the double backslash in file/folder references

The way I grab the content folder / scene file name(s) is by
- enabling the master plugin LScript Commander
- highlighting the command in the Events tab - i.e. as you Set Content Directory / load a scene file, these will appear as "events" ...
- copying it to the session area and highlighting there
- clicking Session->Convert To LScript

Hope this helps, I pieced it together to solve the same issue you have described.

@warnings

generic
{
// --- Up front stuff ------------------------------------------------------------ //
Refresh();
ApplyServer("MasterHandler", "Octane_MASTER_PLUGIN");
CommandInput("SaveOptionsEnabled 0");
AutoConfirm(1);
ClearScene();
Refresh();

// --- For each separate Content Folder ------------------------------------------ //
ContentDirectory("<drive>:\\<folder_name>\\<folder_name>\\Lightwave");

// --- For each scene file ------------------------------------------------------- //
LoadScene("<folder_name>\\<folder_name>\\<scene_name.lws>");

Refresh();
RenderScene();
Refresh();
ClearScene();
Refresh();

// --- Closing shop stuff -------------------------------------------------------- //
CommandInput("SaveOptionsEnabled 2");
AutoConfirm(0);

}

3dworks
05-25-2017, 03:09 AM
thanks a lot, gungho!! i will try this out when i'm rendering my next batches! looks like a viable solution to me to change the script manually, as i have a pretty standardized folder and output path structure here in my studio. just hope it will work well on macs... will let you know.

cheers

markus

Ztreem
05-25-2017, 03:40 AM
is there any non LWSN based alternative batch render solution for LW?

the reason i'm asking is because currently we cannot render octane render scenes with local LWSN nodes and networked GPU's, as LWSN will use only the local machine GPU. until there is a fix for this, batch rendering octane scenes with networked GPU's is seriously limited. the only solution i could find was using the render-Q script, but it has big limitations. apparently it is broken when using more than 2 scenes with external render engines - it will just crash after scene number 2. also, you can't reorganise, add or remove batched files in the sequence list while it is rendering.

any ideas / solutions? i'm still mac based, btw.

cheers

markus

Remember to report bugs and do feature requests for all features you want...

Gungho3D
05-25-2017, 05:33 PM
thanks a lot, gungho!! i will try this out when i'm rendering my next batches! looks like a viable solution to me to change the script manually, as i have a pretty standardized folder and output path structure here in my studio. just hope it will work well on macs... will let you know.

cheers

markus

You're welcome!

I just had a quick look at your site - beautiful work, outstanding visuals every one. You have not only mastered the technical side of what it takes to achieve a high degree of realism, but you have also pushed the whole process into the "art" realm, super easy on the eyes ...

... maybe you could capture some of your thought processes and technical means for starting from a "blank sheet" and ending with a stunning end result
... certainly you should consider putting more or your work in the LW gallery section

Scazzino
05-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Interesting. This may be something I'll consider adding in future updates of DreamLight Constellation.

3dworks
05-26-2017, 12:31 PM
You're welcome!

I just had a quick look at your site - beautiful work, outstanding visuals every one. You have not only mastered the technical side of what it takes to achieve a high degree of realism, but you have also pushed the whole process into the "art" realm, super easy on the eyes ...

... maybe you could capture some of your thought processes and technical means for starting from a "blank sheet" and ending with a stunning end result
... certainly you should consider putting more or your work in the LW gallery section

thank you so much, very appreciated! :-)

cheers

markus