PDA

View Full Version : Mini/Micro/HD-BNC - Why the change? And no adapters?

lukerctv
05-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Took delivery of our 2 new TC1s and I/O unit this week. Loving the TC1 units... FINALLY SSD BOOTING! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!

The I/O unit has a LOT of potential, somewhat hamstrung by it having to be in one physical location. Maybe the next generation of I/O modules can be one in, one out portable units that cost $99 ;)

Anyway, I haven't been able to play with the I/O unit, for the simple reason that it has tiny BNC jacks on the back. I know there's way too many tiny-BNC standards, like micro and mini and HD, but I have no idea what this one is. I have a "Mini BNC" pigtail I got about a year ago, and it looks like it should fit, but it doesn't. Frustrating.

NewTek can't throw in 8 pigtail adapters to make this unit truly plug-and-play? Or maybe make a bigger deal about the change, rather than burying it on the tech specs page: https://www.newtek.com/connect/nc1-io/tech-specs/

Can't wait to further review this thing once it's actually up and running in my workflow!

SBowie
05-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Hmmm. According to the specs, looks like the card connectors are "DIN 1.0/2.3" ... whatever that is.

lukerctv
05-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Yep, it is misleading and incorrect to even refer to them as any type of "BNC" anymore. The fact there's no adapters in the box is ridiculous.

kanep
05-24-2017, 12:57 PM
I purchased and am using these adapters to use on my NC1 IO demo, the port is called a Mini-DIN, but many people call them Mini-BNC. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828523-REG/Pro_Video_Accessories_PA_BNC_F_DIN_1FH_BNC_FEMALE_ to_DIN.html

lukerctv
05-24-2017, 01:00 PM
Oh good, another $112 to get up and running...

NewTek really should not refer to them as BNC in their marketing/support material. That stands for barrel nut connector... which these are not.

Or, you know, shipped some adapters to avoid the problem altogether.

fgolman
05-24-2017, 03:35 PM
BTW, the "BNC" in the connector is, supposedly, in reference to the developers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNC_connector

And, in fact, according to this article, was originally a patented design!

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

lukerctv
05-25-2017, 09:37 AM
Huh, today I learned.

Whatever the name is, I still can't use my I/O unit ;)

matthias-web
08-10-2018, 08:36 AM
+1 that the these cables should be included in the box!

I always liked that Newtek includes keyboards, mouse etc.
And after all our purchases I have feeled 20 of these from Newtek at home

Then why not to be generous and add a bunch of little but essential cables? ;-)

jandw
08-17-2018, 07:14 AM
Yes, this really made me smile and even laugh: in the box of our TC1, IP based, NDI, ... IP all the way, they included a BNC 'trumpet' (we call it that over here in Belgium). You don't even get that with pure SDI baseband video hardware which costs multitudes of what a TC1 costs.

Nice! In all kinds of ways!

+1 that the these cables should be included in the box!

I always liked that Newtek includes keyboards, mouse etc.
And after all our purchases I have feeled 20 of these from Newtek at home

Then why not to be generous and add a bunch of little but essential cables? ;-)