PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2

lone
03-07-2003, 08:35 AM
spent most of my usual LIGHTWAVE time this past week playing it. blew me away.

PC GAMERS - i know there are some here; what are you playing, and what is your all-time favorite?

i'm playing NO ONE LIVES FOREVER 2, HITMAN 2, REVOLUTION (stuck), and both of the new UNREALs.
all-time favorite - DESCENT 3

Max Wolf
03-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Simtower
halflife

pixelmonk
03-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by lone
spent most of my usual LIGHTWAVE time this past week playing it. blew me away.

PC GAMERS - i know there are some here; what are you playing, and what is your all-time favorite?

i'm playing NO ONE LIVES FOREVER 2, HITMAN 2, REVOLUTION (stuck), and both of the new UNREALs.
all-time favorite - DESCENT 3

If you get Unreal T2K3, you can fool around with making levels in LW and exporting them to UnrealED. I downloaded all of the tutorials from 3DBuzz.com on how to go about that (minus the 3DMax [email protected]). :)

jin choung
03-07-2003, 06:50 PM
all time favorite is half life.

but it scared the living hell out of me... i can't imagine how many times a headcrab and that freaking spiderbelly monster at the end made me leap away from the monitor with a "wuaghuaghuagh!!!"....

max payne was awesome too. i don't think shiny's new matrix game is gonna come even close to being as good a game as that was unfortunately.

i'm playing unreal2 now and it's pretty but so far it's just meh.

i'm looking forward to getting icewind dale2 when prices come down.

i thought neverwinter nights was just meh. kinda buggy too.

jin

brtk
03-07-2003, 09:38 PM
Unreal2 ? hmm I dont know what to think about it - I saw the game in the store, bougt it, got home, installed and got amazed, thatīs nice I thought, now Iīll be playing this cool, nice looking game for at least a week. But not - I finished it next morning grrr:mad:

Epita
03-08-2003, 03:45 AM
yeah, i got a demo of UT2K3, i can play it on max settings for everything and still get a really good frame rate! I think it looks great i wana get the full version of UT2 but i am limited ot a 2gig HD ,so i have to get an adapter for an old laptop HD to play. Looks great and being able to model in LW is going to be so much fun.

Fav games are max payne, HL, GTA (all of them), mesing about in Worldcraft was the base of all my modeling skills, most of which are now done in LW. Worldcraft 3.3 rocks (better than unrealed - used that too!) decent on my school network a while ago was great fun, i beat everyones a55!

Epita

cresshead
03-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Hmmm...

alien vs predator on atari jaguar [most scary realistic game ever]

mario kart on snes and GBA

f zero on GBA

legend of zelda on snes

F1 on playstation

battlezone on arcade

tempest 2000 on jaguar

pilotwings on nintendo 64

not really found any good games on pc or new consoles as yet...the graphics may have got better but the gameplay looks tired.

steve g

lone
03-08-2003, 09:41 AM
have to say that UNREAL2 has seemed a little too easy on the normal setting. and where in the hell is my FLAK CANNON?

HALF-LIFE: never will forget the first time all those grenades came flying at me, or the first time i got picked up by a BARNACLE...hope the sequel doesn't take as long to do as DUKE NUKEM' WHENEVER.

ALIENS VS. PREDATOR: that was truly awesome...just wish there were more Marine levels. need to get that add-on pack.

faulknermano
03-09-2003, 03:29 AM
:confused:

man, i could whack all you guys in the head! i thought unreal 2.0 (as in the cel shader / edge tracer) was out. sheesh. go back to playing games, kids! :D (juskiddin)

faulknermano
03-09-2003, 03:31 AM
hmm. i think unreal IS for kids. ghost recon rules!

jin choung
03-09-2003, 04:36 AM
hey faulknermano,

man... i gotta disagree. i HATED gr! precisely because it's supposed to be realistic - but it is not.

there were things that i really loved about it like the graphics and the control system for your squad mates. but it had a few flaws that absolutely destroyed the game for me.

1. for being a squad based game, you could play the entire thing by simply leapfrogging one guy at a time. not well designed to enforce team tactics.

2. you are a super equipped, highly trained, capitalist instrument of whoop ***. you have the latest weapons, the best in night vision. you are more elite than elite and those commies better watch their asses.

but alas, you've got nothing on poor russian farmers. you see, all they have are 50's era ak47's and they've got optics no better than their reading glasses. but they're genetically engineered to be able to see all enemies in complete darkness, five miles away. in addition, they've been bred to be the finest marksman on the planet. they can hit you from five miles out, in the dead of night, without night vision, pounding out rounds at full auto -

and every bullet will hit its mark.

they do suffer the disadvantage of being poor. but that just means they never miss with their precious, valuable bullets.

if you hear a shot, someone just died.

oh, was that me. dang.

jin

faulknermano
03-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by jin choung
hey faulknermano,

man... i gotta disagree. i HATED gr! precisely because it's supposed to be realistic - but it is not.

there were things that i really loved about it like the graphics and the control system for your squad mates. but it had a few flaws that absolutely destroyed the game for me.

1. for being a squad based game, you could play the entire thing by simply leapfrogging one guy at a time. not well designed to enforce team tactics.

2. you are a super equipped, highly trained, capitalist instrument of whoop ***. you have the latest weapons, the best in night vision. you are more elite than elite and those commies better watch their asses.

but alas, you've got nothing on poor russian farmers. you see, all they have are 50's era ak47's and they've got optics no better than their reading glasses. but they're genetically engineered to be able to see all enemies in complete darkness, five miles away. in addition, they've been bred to be the finest marksman on the planet. they can hit you from five miles out, in the dead of night, without night vision, pounding out rounds at full auto -

and every bullet will hit its mark.

they do suffer the disadvantage of being poor. but that just means they never miss with their precious, valuable bullets.

if you hear a shot, someone just died.

oh, was that me. dang.

jin

yes... i agree on ALL your points. but it's still better than most FPS games which try to focus on tactical sim (flashpoint comes to mind). nevertheless, your number 2 point hits the mark, for me. i mean, if we are talking United States armed forces, i wish i was in the shoes of a US Marine of a MEU. probably platoon-level, too! :) i'd like to be able to simulate 'small wars', non-intensity stuff on a REAL campaign level where you really feel yourself progressing: you can get to diplomatically save the situation, strike key targets... yknow? use your mind, tactically, stategically, logistically, etc.

but remember also, GR was coming out of the rainbow six series, which was much more of terrible thing especially in regards to hyper-accurate tangoes who can pick you off at mind-boggling ranges. so GR is (was) in improvement.

i think GR excels best when played multplayer. but not everyone like that (like me).

Epita
03-09-2003, 10:29 AM
Well, i think that GR sucks compared to the Massive Rainbow 6. So what the graphics suck, the game play was great, everything worked, the accuracy was fine... Also Operation Flashpoint is whay better than anything else out there. The combination of all forces works really well!

Epita

jin choung
03-09-2003, 02:20 PM
:)

yah, the weird thing is that i'm pretty shy in real life and it turns out that i'm kind of shy online too! i just can't really get into online game play.

actually, have you guys tried opflashpoint? i haven't played that yet but i hear RADICALLY different opinions on that game.

on magazine gave the game of the year award to GR and another one gave it to OF! and the if they liked one, they HATED the other!

i gotta say though, having played gr, i agreed with the negative reviews given it by the OF lovers....

anyhoo, i'm looking forward to R6:raven shield. that one uses the unreal engine and hopefully, they'll have addressed a lot of the gameplay issues in the original series.

also, the single player counter-strike is coming out and though that should prove less realistic, it should be fun.

jin

lone
03-09-2003, 03:39 PM
hi, Jin - have to say i've noticed the conflicting reviews, too. they seem to rate most everything else pretty close. speaking of game magazines, i'm unhappy to report that i just read in PCGAMER today that UNREAL 2 has only a measly 12 (that's right 12) levels! had i known that, i damn sure would not have payed full price. they rated it a 72%. i might have given it an 80%, before finding out how stingy they were with the levels (i should have been clearer when i first posted, when i said i was blown away, that i was referring to the visuals). i realize a lot of work goes into these things, but they're getting unacceptably short.

Red_Oddity
03-10-2003, 04:13 AM
Well, i liked it, but not as much as the original (or the UT versions, which i've played more than any game in my entire life)...
But, i though it a bit too short and a bit too easy and not too mention, a bit too much 'not-really-Unreal'.

Reviewers said it would take between 8 and 10 hours to finish, well, see my surprise when i finished it in less than 6 hours in one go on normal...that was a bit dissapointing (buy a game, and finish it before dinner? never had that before)

Also, the difficulty levels a laughable, easy...you damn right it's easy..normal...normal for whom? first time FPS players?...Hard, why do they keep on hitting me even when i dodge jump my *** off?..

Not worth the 50 bucks i payed for it, but a nice title none the less (better than most games i've bought...i'm just waaaay too spoiled when it comes to games...)

Red_Oddity
03-10-2003, 04:14 AM
Cool, i'm not allowed to type the word a.s.s. :p